ignition timing

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
http://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cartiming4fl.jpg

when the timing is set to the RED mark the car makes like a little poping noise in the exhaust and on deceleration sometimes....

when the timing is set to -2° it doesnt make a poping noise that much.... are there any cons to running 2° retard and pros?

im not too sure why it makes the poping noise...

i also live in pa so if there are any pa ppl that know the correct place for the timing to be set at for the elevation in sealevel, could you insight some info here please?

any help would be great thanks

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
anyone got any ideas?

PFEVER

5+ Year Member
Were At In Pa Bro? Im In Philly And Work As A Tech For A Dealership I Can Get Any Paperwork U Need For Repairs U Need A Timeing Mark Diagram ? Email Me Or Repost Let Me Know That Goes For Anyone!

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wtf i post in here but it never stays lol... downingtown near west chester....

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no i want to set the ignition timing to the correct spot... and advancing the timing and using proper fuel does show improvement... my neighbors mustang was on the dyno and they fooled around with that like using 87 when its supposed to use 89 then did 91 and lost some hp but advanced the timing and it made a bit more hp...

vejita1283

import mechanic and racer
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sup everyone. i know what you mean lol. the red mark is 15 degrees bottom top dead center, and the white mark is top dead center. you want your arrow on the timing cover to be within 2 degrees LEFT of the white mark.

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
uhh the red mark is TDC according to haynes manual

and it matters on how high above sealevel i think