IM Gasket Leak, P0505

Barle$Charkley

Long time lurker, first time posting.

So I just got done swapping heads and replacing the head gasket on my 2000 EX. While I was in there I replaced the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner. Also adjusted my valve lash. Car runs great except for an obvious, bad intake leak. The heads are of the exact same casting, same year model EX and everything. Donor car was an auto, as was mine used to be. Converted to 5 speed. My intake manifold was from a manual car (also a 2000) and I performed the 2-wire IACV conversion too. It should be a direct swap, so I don't suspect any compatibility issues.

The intake manifold gasket is an OEM unit I picked up from the dealer. When spraying starting fluid around the upper intake flange/injector ports the car bogs from 1500rpm to 600rpm. The injector o-rings are also brand new. The mating surfaces were clear of old gasket material. Torqued to 17lbs per the manual.

Question: would it be wise to lightly slather both sides of the gasket with hondabond? Or something? I didn't have this problem with my old head. Strange thing is, the deck mating surfaces were straight and square. As said the car runs great except for a bad idle and P0505. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

FWDKILLER

Long time lurker, first time posting.

So I just got done swapping heads and replacing the head gasket on my 2000 EX. While I was in there I replaced the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner. Also adjusted my valve lash. Car runs great except for an obvious, bad intake leak. The heads are of the exact same casting, same year model EX and everything. Donor car was an auto, as was mine used to be. Converted to 5 speed. My intake manifold was from a manual car (also a 2000) and I performed the 2-wire IACV conversion too. It should be a direct swap, so I don't suspect any compatibility issues.

The intake manifold gasket is an OEM unit I picked up from the dealer. When spraying starting fluid around the upper intake flange/injector ports the car bogs from 1500rpm to 600rpm. The injector o-rings are also brand new. The mating surfaces were clear of old gasket material. Torqued to 17lbs per the manual.

Question: would it be wise to lightly slather both sides of the gasket with hondabond? Or something? I didn't have this problem with my old head. Strange thing is, the deck mating surfaces were straight and square. As said the car runs great except for a bad idle and P0505. Any help or info is greatly appreciated.
Try a new iac valve controller.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Barle$Charkley

Try a new iac valve controller.

Nah bro it's the I/M. I had no issues with the IAC prior to the work I performed on the car. P0505 can also be triggered by a huge vacuum leak. I think I'm going to answer my own question here and go ahead and lightly coat the gasket with hondabond. Install, let it cure, and hope it works. If that doesn't work I'll go get both surfaces milled.

FWDKILLER

Nah bro it's the I/M. I had no issues with the IAC prior to the work I performed on the car. P0505 can also be triggered by a huge vacuum leak. I think I'm going to answer my own question here and go ahead and lightly coat the gasket with hondabond. Install, let it cure, and hope it works. If that doesn't work I'll go get both surfaces milled.
Ok I had done 99 civic to auto manual and I had to replace the iac. I hear that the heads are different heads from auto to manual.

Barle$Charkley

Ok I had done 99 civic to auto manual and I had to replace the iac. I hear that the heads are different heads from auto to manual.

Heads are the same. The intakes are different, though. I had to use a manual intake on my Y8 auto head and do the 3 to 2 wire conversion for the IAC. Also used the manual ECU.

The internets is saying I should use a thin layer of hondabond or "the right stuff" from permatex. I've used hondabond in the past and liked it, but found no difference between it and ultra grey. Anybody have any experience with both?