I'm New Please don't judge me

CanyonCoolMan

20151203_231220.jpg 20151203_220302.jpg
Quick Pictures of the car, don't know much about it.
Hello everyone I'm new here to the form and don't know much about Civic's. I'm here to learn more and please don't get to mad if I'm asking stupid questions. My mom bought me this car off a friend for really cheap and it has about 192k miles on it. I think its from 1998. It has a few problems that I have found and was wondering if you guys could help me.
  1. Gas pedal is a little sticky
  2. Power Windows, Power locks, and interior lights do not work. Yes I have checked both fuse boxes.
Again please don't judge me I'm not that smart

Last edited by a moderator:

xpttcx

99 Honda Civic EX
5+ Year Member
Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dancam

Registered VIP
Nobody here judges! Lol
Wanna post a pic or 2 of your car so we can actually see it?
For your gas pedal spray some wd40 on the pedal pivot point. If that doesn't help you may need to remove the throttle cable and re-grease it.
If you have power leaving the fuses then check for power at the window and door lock switches. If you have power coming to and leaving the switch then check for power at the motor.
But before that check for broken or split wires where the harness goes through the door to the car body by the hinges. Usually blows a fuse if those ground though.

Oh and for your light check and make sure the bulb is good first. They do burn out.

Last edited:

CanyonCoolMan

Nobody here judges! Lol
Wanna post a pic or 2 of your car so we can actually see it?
For your gas pedal spray some wd40 on the pedal pivot point. If that doesn't help you may need to remove the throttle cable and re-grease it.
If you have power leaving the fuses then check for power at the window and door lock switches. If you have power coming to and leaving the switch then check for power at the motor.
But before that check for broken or split wires where the harness goes through the door to the car body by the hinges. Usually blows a fuse if those ground though.

Oh and for your light check and make sure the bulb is good first. They do burn out.

Ok I will check for those things, Also Ill post a better pic of the car tomorrow when its light out again

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
not many civics that are virgins left, dont f**k it up, oh and welcome and stuff.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Welcome aboard. We all judge, but if your honest and put forth effort then you'll be judged positively here. Desire and openness to learn can go a long way. Youre not that stupid if you are aware of and openly admit your limits, so give yourself a little credit.

You've already gotten good suggestions so make sure to google how to do each, THEN ask further questions if needed. No one likes answering the easiest questions to look up online.

Good luck with the Civic. Its an easy car to learn and work on for the most part and virtually anything you can think of has been covered somewhere online if its not here.

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Welcome.
Check out my thread directly below yours. Let's hope your does not look like mine. I checked all fuses, hoping for easy fix. Only found one 20a fuse, Power window AS (don't know what "AS" stand for) blown.
Until I pull back the rubber boot and oh boy.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
CanyonCool, have you made any progress?

CanyonCoolMan

CanyonCool, have you made any progress?
Yes found the problem to the light. My grandpa was with me in the car and he started wiggling it to get the cover off and it just randomly turned on. Some DW-40 fixed the gas pedal. No progress on the power locks or windows yet.

Oh and is it normal for the car to be RWD

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A rear wheel drive Civic? No. That cant be.

As for the dome light, its a common issue that means the connections inside a loose due to age. Its an easy fix take it apart and it should be obvious.

CanyonCoolMan

A rear wheel drive Civic? No. That cant be.

As for the dome light, its a common issue that means the connections inside a loose due to age. Its an easy fix take it apart and it should be obvious.
That's what I was thinking but every time I pop the clutch I feel the wheels spin from behind me. Earlier today I was on slush and felt the wheels spin from behind me and my grandpa noticed to.

I know that civics are fwd and I'm sure your correct but that was just the way I felt it perform even thought I know next to nothing about cars

Tomorrow I'm taking it to school to work on it in auto shop so I'll find out for sure

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get on some dirt and spin the tires. Stay in one place and see where the marks are. I promise you it's fwd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just jack it up and look for the differential and driveshaft. It'd be quite noticeable, but I highly doubt it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im almost positive Honda didnt make any 6th gen Civic with RWD or AWD in any country.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
The damn car isn't RWD. You think a RWD Civic would just be running around, be listed and bought over and over without mention of it?

s**t I just saw the pics, that car is 100% bone stock.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
My buddy owned an AWD civic... didn't build it himself though.

With that being said, OP, I'm sure your car is FWD like normal.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The damn car isn't RWD. You think a RWD Civic would just be running around, be listed and bought over and over without mention of it?

s**t I just saw the pics, that car is 100% bone stock.
Hey, I agree with you. Id be shocked if he somehow accidentally acquired a unicorn like that, but its happened before to others so you gotta acknowledge the slight near-impossible chance.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Power locks and windows I'm willing to bet is in the door harness, very common problem with these civics and requires pulling the front bumper, side skirt and fender to fix the wiring

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Power locks and windows I'm willing to bet is in the door harness, very common problem with these civics and requires pulling the front bumper, side skirt and fender to fix the wiring
I have to partially disagreed with this. You do not have to pull fender and side skirt. Only the door. Unplug harness. Remove 1 12mm bolt on the door swinging arm. Remove top and bottom "c" clip on the hindges bolt. Pry the hinges bolt out. Have a friend hold the door while you do that. Door come off in 1 piece..

No need for extra removal of skirt and fender. Not necessary.
Reason because the same harness on my car is f*cked. I already taken the door off by myself. Help to have extra hands holding the door cause its heavy. But not required.