i'm stumped.....any clues?

Finnish~Racer

The ONLY Finnish-Canadian
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
KNEW IT!!!! time to retime and get it going.....

i gotta do this saturday or friday. sometime this weekend.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
does anyone know where the best place to find a crank pulley kex tool could be found at? i want to get this done this weekend, and i dont want to buy one off the internet if i can find one locally.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
does anyone know where the best place to find a crank pulley kex tool could be found at? i want to get this done this weekend, and i dont want to buy one off the internet if i can find one locally.
Some auto parts stores carry them, I think I've seen them at Advance Auto.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i called and searched their website, and they dont carry em.

CRAP!

i dont want to replace the timing belt....but instead adjust it back to TDC and TDC1.
was there a process that involves loosing bolts on the head to rotate the camshaft?

or is that not worth it?

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, so i got both pulleys to TDC and i reset the timing belt. put it all back together and started it.
Still the same problem, but not as bad.
Its gotta be the ignition because everything else has been checked.

i took it out and drove it around my neighbor hood, and it backfired quite a bit in the low rpms, and hesitated alot in the first 5k rpm range, once i got it to 5500-6000 it turned to normal, it sounded just like before it got garaged.

could it be a clogged fuel filter? or the dizzy (even though we already checked it)?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sorry, I think this would benefit everyone...

Could you give a summary of everything so far? I've definitely forgotten most of what you've done and the results...

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, so i retimed mechanically, ignition is correct. dizzy is fine. plugs and wires are fine and get spark. pump is working and no blown fuses.

CEL 14 for the iavc, and 38 for an unplugged vtec solenoid (the 3stage d15b vtec has 2 solenoids)

it starts and runs, but has a rough idle, and bogs down during the first 4000 rpms approximately.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, so i retimed mechanically, ignition is correct. dizzy is fine. plugs and wires are fine and get spark. pump is working and no blown fuses.

CEL 14 for the iavc, and 38 for an unplugged vtec solenoid (the 3stage d15b vtec has 2 solenoids)

it starts and runs, but has a rough idle, and bogs down during the first 4000 rpms approximately.
The spark is bright white, correct? If so, by what you're saying, we're good on the ignition side. We're also fine on timing if you did that correctly.

Did you ever clean the IACV? Also, I'm not sure that a clogged fuel filter could be causing the problem, but it's a regular maintenance thing, so I'd replace it when you clean the IACV if you haven't.

If you clean (or have already cleaned) the IACV and there's no change, inspect the wiring. Check for voltage at the wires as well. Beyond that, the IACV may need replacing.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The spark is bright white, correct? If so, by what you're saying, we're good on the ignition side. We're also fine on timing if you did that correctly.

Did you ever clean the IACV? Also, I'm not sure that a clogged fuel filter could be causing the problem, but it's a regular maintenance thing, so I'd replace it when you clean the IACV if you haven't.

If you clean (or have already cleaned) the IACV and there's no change, inspect the wiring. Check for voltage at the wires as well. Beyond that, the IACV may need replacing.
yes the spark is bright white, and i did the timing correctly.

the IACV has been cleaned. and i have to agree about the filter, i'm unsure if its ever been changed, so now is a as good time as any.
and i'll have to check the wires tomorrow

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes the spark is bright white, and i did the timing correctly.

the IACV has been cleaned. and i have to agree about the filter, i'm unsure if its ever been changed, so now is a as good time as any.
and i'll have to check the wires tomorrow
Ok, let us know the results.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i pulled off the filter housing....cuz i am unsure how to open it, but i blew through it to get all the gas out of it, and there wasn't much in to?? wierd...

so i shook it and blew again, and the color of the gas was BROWN!!!! lol, i imagine the filter is clogged up.
it makes logical sense, since its tough to start and to idle, but when it was running and pulling ALOT of gas it ran normal.

so, filter needs replaced....and i imagine it should run fine.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i pulled off the filter housing....cuz i am unsure how to open it, but i blew through it to get all the gas out of it, and there wasn't much in to?? wierd...

so i shook it and blew again, and the color of the gas was BROWN!!!! lol, i imagine the filter is clogged up.
it makes logical sense, since its tough to start and to idle, but when it was running and pulling ALOT of gas it ran normal.

so, filter needs replaced....and i imagine it should run fine.
Never done the fuel filter on a Civic, but doesn't the whole thing get replaced? Buy the new part and then compare.

Let us know how it goes.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
all right, update time for RonJ and Whoopnip

i got everything timed and right, and did a wiretuck since i was already working on the car. =)
mechanical timing right. Dizzy wires right on the cap, even though the 4th cylinders wire is ghetto length (i think it was run to cylinder 3 before the previous owner pulled racing wires from a junked car)

then i hooked up the 2 vtec solenoids correctly and started her up...

mind you, i pulled the vapro canister (charcoal canister) as it is unsightly and i dont really see the harm in leaking fossil fuel vapors that will most likely disperse into the air. so i removed tha vacuum hosing and the check valve, and two way switch.

it ran and idled great minus the vacuum leak from the front port on the y8 IM.

so i shall cap the valve and hookup my short ram....replace the remaining dash parts and take it for a spin....

it did have a sputter though and i think it should be the fuel filter, so i'll replace it.

RonJ

Banned
all right, update time for RonJ and Whoopnip

i got everything timed and right, and did a wiretuck since i was already working on the car. =)
mechanical timing right. Dizzy wires right on the cap, even though the 4th cylinders wire is ghetto length (i think it was run to cylinder 3 before the previous owner pulled racing wires from a junked car)

then i hooked up the 2 vtec solenoids correctly and started her up...

mind you, i pulled the vapro canister (charcoal canister) as it is unsightly and i dont really see the harm in leaking fossil fuel vapors that will most likely disperse into the air. so i removed tha vacuum hosing and the check valve, and two way switch.

it ran and idled great minus the vacuum leak from the front port on the y8 IM.

so i shall cap the valve and hookup my short ram....replace the remaining dash parts and take it for a spin....

it did have a sputter though and i think it should be the fuel filter, so i'll replace it.
Sounds like progress, but please hook the EVAP canister back up. Fuel vapor released into the atmosphere accounts for 1/3 of all air pollutants and produces photochemical smog.

Last edited:

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmm....i'll consider it. but for now it's out. i'm wondering about somethings.

the car idles well but when i push the throttle it sucks air hard and very little combustion...
i'm stumped. i thought it could be the solenoid switch that i removed from above the canister and the fuel rail. i put the vacuum cap on the inlet on the manifold and the backfiring stopped.

but its still backfiring quietly and it feels like it can't get gas, or the gas isn't getting into the system....

any ideas?

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when i deleted the canister, i clipped the switches lines and ran them together and the same with the solenoid switch on the rail. i went back and undid them and still had the same result.

could my injector wiring be shot? also i am running a small hose from the vent line to the small inlet above the butterfly on the TB, just so you know Ron, i am NOT going to vent into the atmosphere, :D