In need of some serious help

kylehonda2010

im a kid and i have a 90 civic hatchback si. i blew out the piston rings and wanted to completely replace the motor. i didnt want to replace it with another stock motor. but i dont know what is smoggable once you do an engine swap. i would like to put in a stronger engine nothing fancy but a good strong engine that can hold its own in a race. i would like to maybe put in a b16 but idk how much that could get up to in cost or if that is even the best thing to do. i just want something that i can drive/race every now and then, somthing that can take a beating and be able to pass SMOG. im working with roughly 800 to 1000 tops on the motor. and where is a decent place to find a motor either online or in So Cal. so please if anybody has some advice id really APPRECIATE. i just dont knowwhat would be the best thing to do.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
look into a zc or b16a.

i dont really have to deal with smog here in colorado so idk, but u should be alright for the most part as long as the engine u swap in is newer than the chassis...

sero2010

get the b16a its a good motor, and it will cost you about 800 bucks, but you would probably have to buy the tranny, ecu, and harness for it

EG6 LIFE

Registered VIP
ya b16 agreed and zc was a funn motor but if u beat cars up like me it wont last i threw a rod in it after 4 months of points racing

BLU CIVIC

I ❤ VIR
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
aren't you only allowed to swap USDM motors b/c JDM motors are no longer allowed to be swapped in Cali unless it's a stock replacement? ie, if you have a B16a2 and it blows then you can replace with a JDM B16a?

kylehonda2010

im not sure if your not able to swap a usdm motor with a jdm. im curious to know that too. any advice on where to possibly find a good reputable place online to get a b16

BLU CIVIC

I ❤ VIR
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just do it, its not like there going to just look under your hood
http://www.importtuner.com/newsstand/impp_0608_ca_engine_swap_guidelines/index.html
Psssst... Yeah you, with the illegal engine swap-Big Brother's watching you. He's got his eye on your type and it's only a matter of time before the Thought Police come drag you out of your bed in the middle of the night.

Well maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but it's based on a true story. 'Round these parts, the law is putting the heat on smog scofflaws and getting special training to find and catch cars that may have "illegal" mods. They basically look (or listen) for things like exhaust, wings, stickers, etc. If they see any of these "clues" on your car, they can pull you over. Even something legal like an exhaust tip can be enough to for them to light you up. And once that happens, all bets are off.

If you're unlucky enough to get stopped by one of these smog-nazis, you're at their mercy. They'll make you pop your hood and if they're smart enough to realize it's not the original engine, you'll get a citation and a lesson in bureaucratic BS you'll not soon forget. After paying fines and going to court, you'll still have to make it smog legal if you ever want to register the car again.
Granted this article is 4 years old, not much has changed. OP I suggest you do some research before you do your swap. It’ll save you a lot of headache. I also suggest signing up for SEMA Action Network (www.semasan.com) so that you can stay informed on the laws regarding our hobby.