Info on a 1995 Civic EX

Frenetica

5+ Year Member
Not that the model matters, but I am interested in this friends car, a 1995 Honda civic EX 5 Speed Manual. I'm not familiar with cars. It has 160k miles on it, and I need help on some info. So far that I know it has a stock clutch, still working to what degree unknown, but my little knowledge tells me it may need to be replaced. Well I was wondering what would be a rough estimate on replacing it. I also heard I should replaces everything else around there since it'll be out anyway. This is steering me away from getting it cause I heard it's around 1500$for labor and 100$+ for the parts. I would try it myself but I heard front wheel drive cars are a pain to get to the clutch, have to take off tansaxle, engine, the works. I have some transmission knowledge but with rear/ 4wheel drive automatic vehicles. Also another question is the Engine. I've heard they can run for 200k+ miles, others say I'm looking at a near dead engine. I have owned 150k+ mile engines before but those were v8 engines, bigger, american made. So I don't know anything about these types of engines. Anything else I should look into if I should get this car. I am getting a civic just depends on from who, I'd prefer from this person as it's someone I've known. Sorry for the questions. Thank you.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$1500. for labor?

Does that come with KY?

While it is a little more involved to do a clutch on a FWD vehicle I am fairly certain that Mitchell Guide doesn't allow 20 hours or so to do it.

When I worked at a transmission shop we were doing 6 speed Corvettes with the damped flywheel for $1200. Civics ran around 5 to 600 with new clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, resurface flywheel, and two quarts of oil.

I have 210,000 miles on my D16Z6 and still have good compression across all cylinders and passed a very tough Tarrant County Emissions test.

HC(ppm) Standard 147 Current reading 38
CO(%) .082 .015
NOX(ppm) 1072 86
Dilution >6.0 14.95

Tested at 25 mph

So who said a Honda was near dead at 150k?
Ok, maybe a B21A1, but not a D.

booze_b

At work CC user
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
$1500. for labor?

Does that come with KY?

While it is a little more involved to do a clutch on a FWD vehicle I am fairly certain that Mitchell Guide doesn't allow 20 hours or so to do it.

When I worked at a transmission shop we were doing 6 speed Corvettes with the damped flywheel for $1200. Civics ran around 5 to 600 with new clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, resurface flywheel, and two quarts of oil.
lmfao :werd:
To put it in perspective.........It's $1000 around here (canadian $$'s) for labour on a swap.

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You had to bring up the bastard step child prelude B-series didnt you lol. Normally takes me 4hrs to do clutchs in 5gens but Im expirienced(sp?). Not hard to figure out though. The engine will hold it own, there damn good when it come down to reliability

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
amen...honda engines will run for ever!!!!

Frenetica

5+ Year Member
Thank you everyone, you were right, I found a place for 614$ with the clutch, not sure if it includes the whole kit, but I'd buy extra just to get it all in one shot. I'm definatly going to get it, just have to wait for her to find a 7th gen one.

Also would it be a good idea to just get a higher grade clutch and racing parts for it, or would it be a waiste of money. BTW I've driven only 2 cars standard and only in a parking lot. I can shift fine and only stalled first couple times.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
92 4DoorSleeper said:
You had to bring up the bastard step child prelude B-series didnt you lol.
:laugh::haha: :lol: I could never get my dayum 91 to pass NOX. I could get everything else... HC=high pass, Carbon Monoxide=high pass, NOX = FAIL.

Piece of s**t bastard stepchild.

TenzoMonk

Lick your back on it
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Frenetica said:
Thank you everyone, you were right, I found a place for 614$ with the clutch, not sure if it includes the whole kit, but I'd buy extra just to get it all in one shot. I'm definatly going to get it, just have to wait for her to find a 7th gen one.

Also would it be a good idea to just get a higher grade clutch and racing parts for it, or would it be a waiste of money. BTW I've driven only 2 cars standard and only in a parking lot. I can shift fine and only stalled first couple times.

waste of money for the "higher grade" clutch... not unless you plan on doing some MAJOR engine mods... in that case, save yourself the money. also, are you SURE that the clutch needs to be replaced? or just guessing? if you are unfamiliar with standard tranny cars, i'd just want to be sure that's what you need. i mean, take it into a shop and say "i need the clutch replaced" and they'll probably do it... they'll certainly appreciate the money =)

instead, just take it somewhere that gives free estimates... and have them tell you what's wrong (make sure it's a trust-worthy place).

btw... my car has 184K on it... engine still pulls HARD... and very smooth. i'm also still on the stock clutch... and i'm not the "easiest" on cars... just thought i'd give some input.

good luck... and have fun... your car should treat you well!!!

TenzoMonk

Lick your back on it
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Frenetica said:
find a 7th gen one.
oh, and you know your car is a 5th gen? and with hondas... change the oil every 3000 miles.. timing belt every 100k or so... and you are good to go... honda's can usually take a beating =)

Frenetica

5+ Year Member
Awesome, and yea I don't know if the clutch is gone, but I would assume so as she said their might be a problem with that, but maybe low on fluids. Seems Hondas are very reliable, Can't wait to get this one.

the 7th gen remark is to her getting one, She is sticking with the civic just wants a newer model.

jdreadjdm

Yeah man 5th gen is best one looks real aggressive, 160k? Thats still a baby bro. My 91 accord just hit 400thousand miles the motor outlives the body lol, good luck

emerican

Registered VIP
^ this thread is from 2005
please check the dates on the threads before posting in them just to avoid digging up threads where the members arent even active anymore.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a 6th Gen civic with a D16Y8 and it still pulls hard at 209k. It was well taken care of with the previous 2 owners.

Frenetica

5+ Year Member
Back from the dead indeed! Yeah I actually owned two civics after I made this post, one with 300k miles and one with 160k. Both ran great for a while, but due to reliability and warped blocks both got traded in. Although the car after that even new was a giant turd.