Ingalls Torque Damper Review/Write Up

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ingalls Stiffy™ Adjustable Engine Torque Damper for 1996 - 2000 Honda Civic Review And Installation Overview.

Product Description: The Stiffy™ is a “shock” that creates an additional reinforced mounting point between the motor and a strong point of the vehicle (in my application the strut tower). This additional mounting point results in a much more secure motor, thus limiting movement of the motor (specifically front to back) compensating for the relatively weak factory mount. This is obviously valuable for several reasons such as better off-the-line acceleration, reduced wheel hop, Improved vehicle stability, smoother shifting, etc.

Initial Thoughts: I received the product directly from Ingalls the staff was extremely helpful in answering all my questions. The package arrived quickly with complete detailed installation instructions including good detailed pictures. The instructions were very clear and easy to follow. My initial impression of the product was very high. The brackets were very thick and appeared to be very sturdy. The damper itself held a lot of small detail showing that the product was created with a lot of thought; addressing design issues before being released to the consumer, down to the including of o-rings to dampen some of the vibration being translated to the car itself.

Installation: This is where the quality of the product really started to shine through. The instructions call for an installation time of one hour, this is way more time than you will need in my opinion. With the excellent fitting parts, hardware, and direct clear instructions I found myself done in well under an hour. I have included several pictures to illustrate a few key points of the installation. I didn’t do it exactly as directed but these pictures will give you the general idea of how easy it is.

· I started by removing the two motor mount nuts on the driver side

· Next I just attached the provided motor mount plate and reinstalled the nuts

· The plate that mounts on the chassis side was next, to do this I first needed to remove the bolt through the front of the tower holding in the upper control arm

· This bolt was replaced with a larger one provided with the kit to hold the plate in place, again everything fit perfectly

· Finally I mounted the ETD onto the mounting plates. Careful attention needs to be given here, as the ETD should have its length and stiffness adjusted prior to mounting. All adjustments should be made with the unit off the car as adjustments on the car can lead the unit to be over stressed. This was probably the trickiest, but still simple by any standard. It is also important that the ETD is mounted with the o-ring in-between the ETD and the mounting plate as it helps absorb some of the road vibration. Rob at Ingalls told me that you could also additionally reduce the small amount of vibration present with a little Dynamat Extreme.

· Finished Product

Conclusion: The product is built very well. The fitment is excellent along with the quality of materials. This was a very simple modification to do, and unlike most modifications that leave us guessing you can tell the difference the first time you turn over the motor and give is a little rev. I find the stock economy car motor mounts to be soft and geared towards passenger car comfort; this creates excessive slop in the motors general response during any aggressive driving. This product just about removes all that slop. I found full hard pulls and aggressive launches to be a night and day difference (compared to before the installation). I feel like I could dial the tension in even a little further but I am already thrilled with the results, and I can see the benefit this would have to anyone looking to remove the problems previously mentioned associated with overly soft motor mounts. I had considered the involved task of adding urethane motor mount inserts, but this has left me totally content for now at least, and saved me a ton of time and hassle (the urethane motor mount inserts can be a pain to install). I would definitely not hesitate to recommend this product strongly. I would also like to thank Rob and Ingalls Engineering for allowing me the opportunity to review this product. This is my first Ingalls product and I am thrilled with the entire experience, and will more than likely be dealing with them more in the future Rob (Ingalls Engineering robs@ingallseng.com ) is also always available to answer any questions you have regarding the product.

Partizan

im gay n proud luv my car
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the review OC. Very well written. Just wondering how much did you pay?

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
great write up. i've been looking into this myself...has anyone had experience with the nrg dampers?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Partizan said:
Thanks for the review OC. Very well written. Just wondering how much did you pay?
they are available around $155 or even less from corsports.. they have some special deal right now might want to PM them..

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=81670

there are cheaper ones out there.. but i had this thread on honda tech for a few days now and i have heard BAD things about the cheaper ones.. id just go with ingalls and know you are getting sometihng good and reliable.. >`

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
they are available around $155 or even less from corsports.. they have some special deal right now might want to PM them..

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=81670

there are cheaper ones out there.. but i had this thread on honda tech for a few days now and i have heard BAD things about the cheaper ones.. id just go with ingalls and know you are getting sometihng good and reliable.. >`
cool, thanks.

vspec sir

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
c_diddy said:
great write up. i've been looking into this myself...has anyone had experience with the nrg dampers?
I have an NRG damper, and it's essentially the same thing. I paid $80.00 for mine, fairly inexpensive and I too noticed a difference in shifts, launches. Comes with all the hardware you need for installation. The NRG damper has bushings inside of the damper itself, it also comes with two sets of bushings, one stiffer then the other so you could install what ever bushings you want according to your preference. :thumbs up I have never had a problem with this damper from the day I installed it.

corsport

5+ Year Member
Great review of a great product.

The torque dampeners are our first, second and third best selling items ---- they are incredibly effective and everyone always seems happy with them.

The difference in the Ingalls one vs. the weapon-r and nrg ones is that the R&D is done by Ingalls until the product will NOT fail, the other brands typically overtime with an aggressive driver will break the brackets. Any broken brackets or other problems with an Ingalls brand will get you free replacement parts and the public will get an updated design after the discovery of any unforseen problems. You simply cannot match Ingalls quality or dedication to the product.

Check out ALL our torque dampeners here:
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=29

Thanks for looking,
Tai
CorSport

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vspec sir said:
I have an NRG damper, and it's essentially the same thing. I paid $80.00 for mine, fairly inexpensive and I too noticed a difference in shifts, launches. Comes with all the hardware you need for installation. The NRG damper has bushings inside of the damper itself, it also comes with two sets of bushings, one stiffer then the other so you could install what ever bushings you want according to your preference. :thumbs up I have never had a problem with this damper from the day I installed it.
this apprears to be one of the differences.. the Ingalls one does not need anything changed the stiffness adjustment is all sefl contained and just requires a few spins of an open end wrench.. :D

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
this apprears to be one of the differences.. the Ingalls one does not need anything changed the stiffness adjustment is all sefl contained and just requires a few spins of an open end wrench.. :D
good write up oc ;) guessing it holds its own once the spray kicks in too?? cause if this will be better off than the inserts then i may order this bia today

corsport

5+ Year Member
j_fukin_t said:
good write up oc ;) guessing it holds its own once the spray kicks in too?? cause if this will be better off than the inserts then i may order this bia today
I (and most of our customers) run mount inserts AND a torque dampener.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
corsport said:
I (and most of our customers) run mount inserts AND a torque dampener.
well damn you just may have a sale bro ham ;)

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
j_fukin_t said:
torque damper AND inserts > torque damper > stock

;)

i dotn have the inserts but im mad happy with mine..

98civichx

SILVER EJ7
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OC the inserts are not an undaunting task to put in i did mine in about 45 mins minus the fact i put one on a wrong mount and had to redo it. they are easily slipped into the existing rubber mounts and held in place by zip ties. the difference in the urethane mounts by energy suspensions was night and day for me. i busted my iol filled mount after i installed the urethane mounts. but after reading the write up here i will definately be looking into getting the dampner i have been tossing the idea around for a while now. ill be getting it after my lsd trans.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
98civichx said:
OC the inserts are not an undaunting task to put in i did mine in about 45 mins minus the fact i put one on a wrong mount and had to redo it. they are easily slipped into the existing rubber mounts and held in place by zip ties. the difference in the urethane mounts by energy suspensions was night and day for me. i busted my iol filled mount after i installed the urethane mounts. but after reading the write up here i will definately be looking into getting the dampner i have been tossing the idea around for a while now. ill be getting it after my lsd trans.
i used to want them till i heard what you said abotu the filter... :???:

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just wish they would release one for my car, I contacted them for product testing but I live to far away. :(

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
im very much interested in this product after reading ur review. but some questions just to clear some stuff up...

so it has to be adjusted length wise just enough for the ends to mount up to the plate holes? and how do u go about adjusting it? is this just like a solid piece or does it actually move like a shock (in and out). and 1 more thing, does it get rid of that bouncy feeling in between quick shifts? cuz i notice when i shift quick from 2nd to 3rd, the car bounces and u can hear the engine go like vvrrRRRrrrRRRrrrrr until it finally stops bouncing and goes smooth thru the RPMS again.

nice write-up and thx :thumbs up. future buyer here

edit - oh and where did u buy em from? i checked the corsportusa page and they sell JUST the dampener and no brackets.

and i checked the "how to adjust" on the ingallseng.com page and its confusing as hell :scurred:. any simpler instructions?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
amej8 said:
so it has to be adjusted length wise just enough for the ends to mount up to the plate holes? and how do u go about adjusting it? is this just like a solid piece or does it actually move like a shock (in and out).
hard to describe.. lol its pretty solid but it DOES have a little give to it..you just turn some of the nuts.. YES when you read the instructions it SOUNDS like a difficult task.. but once you have it in hand you will see its pretty straight foward.. but yeah the idea is to line the holes up..

amej8 said:
does it get rid of that bouncy feeling in between quick shifts? cuz i notice when i shift quick from 2nd to 3rd, the car bounces and u can hear the engine go like vvrrRRRrrrRRRrrrrr until it finally stops bouncing and goes smooth thru the RPMS again.
i THINK that i know what you are describing and if it is what im thinking then definately yes... you have to remember this is like having an additional hard motor mount.. it REALLY braces the engine and stabalizes it.. so yes it will help with something like that.. will it toally elimnate it? hard to say but it really stiffened up everything on my car... :D

amej8 said:
so it has to be
nice write-up and thx :thumbs up. future buyer here
thanks!

amej8 said:
edit - oh and where did u buy em from? i checked the corsportusa page and they sell JUST the dampener and no brackets.
corsport or rob can varify but this is the one for your car.. brackets included.. the brackets are one of the things i hear are MUCH better on the ingalls unit compared to some others out there..http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=30&osCsid=96e5bdc32cc49ba51eacedf49cccae9f

amej8 said:
and i checked the "how to adjust" on the ingallseng.com page and its confusing as hell :scurred:. any simpler instructions?
the instructions LOOK intimidting... but once you have it in hand you will better see how it all works.. its not too tough.. its basicly just adjusting some bolts.. ;)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ah thanks for the info :thumbs up. i just wanted a little heads up with what i would be dealing with.

oc_civic said:
corsport or rob can varify but this is the one for your car.. brackets included.. the brackets are one of the things i hear are MUCH better on the ingalls unit compared to some others out there..http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=30&osCsid=96e5bdc32cc49ba51eacedf49cccae9f
ah i missed this one. i searched under universal parts at the website. thx :thumbs up.