Input requested. *Please read*

RonJ

Banned
I don't want to sit and repeat myself over and over and over again on the same subject. I am MORE than willing to help, but the user needs some common sense and a BIT of intelligence first.
I agree with the first point in blue but not the second point in green. Let me explain. From a business perspective, car forums that strive for success through high membership will be smart enough to recognize the absolute need to create an environment where even dumb, lazy users can easily get their tech questions answers. But recognizing this truth won't be enough, you'll also need to be able to develop a creative strategy to accomplish this task. If you turn these members away, ignore them, or alienate them, this site's name should be changed to Club as the Civic element will surely be dead. What I am saying is that site growth will come not by changing these "annoying" members (that's just plain ridiculous anyway) but instead by changing Club Civic to accommodate them.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just a thought and maybe it sounds dumb but something as simple as moving the how to tab to the left more might help with posting issues, reason i say that is most people come on the sight and just instantly click civic forums to get to the forums not noticing the fact that there is a how to tab, making it closer or next to it may make a person think of clicking it first before posting...idk just an idea.
That sounds like an excellent and very simple to the point idea. Thank you!
I like the idea of moving it but I was thinking about more of down in the thread between the New Post and Search buttons. I don't tend to look at those top options. Or even possibly move that menu bar below the banner.

With the featured rides, I would do that over the Ride of the Month were the members vote. The reason I say this is in the past you have the drama of members getting friends to sign up, long time members sometimes are played as favorites, etc. Also, feature cars of active users and change it more often.

Meets and raffles are other ideas that I liked.

EDIT: I personally don't visit the main page a whole lot. I keep my browser open and refresh my User CP when I get back. What about about above the Quick Search and Latest Topics section on the right side, have a spot for Site News that highlights key points on the main page. Or has some of the contests or raffle links.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I agree with the first point in blue but not the second point in green. Let me explain. From a business perspective, car forums that strive for success through high membership will be smart enough to recognize the absolute need to create an environment where even dumb, lazy users can easily get their tech questions answers. But recognizing this truth won't be enough, you'll also need to be able to develop a creative strategy to accomplish this task. If you turn these members away, ignore them, or alienate them, this site's name should be changed to Club as the Civic element will surely be dead. What I am saying is that site growth will come not by changing these "annoying" members (that's just plain ridiculous anyway) but instead by changing Club Civic to accommodate them.
Completely agree. That's what I was trying to say in my earlier posts.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ I also agree i wish it didnt have to be that way, but the only way to really grow as a site or continue to have new members is make it easily done by even lazy people who dont want to search if they dont get an answer they move to another forum and try there and thats bad for cc.

emerican

Registered VIP
When i first got on this site i lurked searched and still my newb posts where pretty bad. We have to cut people a little slack especially considering most of the people that make new memberships or just got into hondas are pretty young. With that being said not on purpose we probaly offend some of them. i am a sacastic a*****e most of the time, but i have to stop myself on new posters, because they havent bee around the site long enough to know that if i said something like that that im only joking. If they are 13-16 or even older chances are they will just say those guys are assholes and not get on anymore. Im not saying people shouldnt voive their opnion even if its neg, but if the op only has a few posts and acts a dumb question let them know about the search button, but also answer their question even if its something you wouldnt do to your car and if you think they will regret it tell them, but in a respectful way. It is there car and they are asking our opnions on them so feelings are gonna get hurt that cant be helped sometimes by oversenstive op's, but sometimes it goes a little far on the people and then you never see them post again cause they posted twice and 10 people trashed there ideas or there cars without offering help or just stright up flamned them. I have been guilty of this as well, but have tried my best to help out all the newbs i mean we where all new at something at some point and only got better cause people helped. Thats why when i dont like something i suggest a solution i dont just say dont do a body kit s**t will look ugly. I say that followed by you can get a lip kit for cheaper you will enjoy it more and it will look cleaner that almost always gets me a response from them and they seem to stay around, but if i only left the first part on there first post they might not come bacn and as much as they annoy me at times we need the newbs they are the future of cc.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
I agree with emerican, I am a newish member and the only reason I post a question is when the search button does not yield any helpful results (which happens A LOT, it doesn't seem to be quite the magic go getter that everyone thinks) or I have a more in depth question. The only reason I KNOW about the search bar is from being on lots of forums before but 60% of the new people that come in here are coming into their first forum and are not savvy on whats what.

Lately I have seen a lot of posts by "OG's" to new members that are just ridiculous, It goes back to if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. In my opinion If you have the 15 1/2 seconds it takes to say "you're an idiot, that would be stupid" then you certainly could of put that time into saying "hey buddy we have a search bar that might be able to help you out, welcome to the forum".

that brings me to the last topic,

what is the purpose of the forum? the way everyone talks about "noob questions" makes it seem like the idea is to have a forum with a handful of knowledgeable threads in it so that it can then be locked in a search section and the "OG's" can chat without having to deal with new posts. I understand the frustration that must be felt by dealing with the same questions over and over again but ultimately that is what is being said that this forum should be. In that case it should just be a site with clickable links and a chat box that states "don't ask any questions pertaining to anything this site represents to help you with"

all it takes is one hateful reply from someone thats been on here a little bit towards a new person for them to go post somewhere else and if there is no hateful reply on that forum guess where they are going to be an active member? not here.

this forum is awesome, but people really need to get off their high horse. We all started somewhere

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, we did start somewhere, but I guess I'm used to the OLDSKEWL ways. I, and a few other members have been modifying cars when forums didn't exist, or if they did, it was a new concept. Therefore, we were reading manuals and doing trial and error like non other. It was MUCH more hands on and there were closer bonds b/c we were all hanging out and helping, not chatting on forums.

I know for a fact I'm one of the older members that has a*****e posts occasionally. It's the internet, for God's sake you can find ANYTHING! Word variation helps tremendously, along with simple READING.

Fact of the matter is most PEOPLE ARE JUST DAMNED LAZY NOW. I mean hell, I just posted an entire PAGE of a subject a member was looking for last night. Guess what it was. A GOOGLE link.

I've been on for so long, but is there a mandatory thread(s) new members must read before they can start posting? I know on a few forums I'm on, you can't post, and only in certain sections at that, until you've read the Mod created stickied threads and no one has the ability to post, so there's not pages of BS to go through.

I also realize the likelyhood of a member actually READING them is low, but every bit can help. Maybe.

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think we should have a test upon registering with only three answers.
A. Are you a newb?
B. Have you lost the ability in life to use the search feature?
C. Do you know what search is?

C is the only correct and logical answer.

RonJ

Banned
Yes, we did start somewhere, but I guess I'm used to the OLDSKEWL ways. I, and a few other members have been modifying cars when forums didn't exist, or if they did, it was a new concept. Therefore, we were reading manuals and doing trial and error like non other. It was MUCH more hands on and there were closer bonds b/c we were all hanging out and helping, not chatting on forums.

I know for a fact I'm one of the older members that has a*****e posts occasionally. It's the internet, for God's sake you can find ANYTHING! Word variation helps tremendously, along with simple READING.

Fact of the matter is most PEOPLE ARE JUST DAMNED LAZY NOW. I mean hell, I just posted an entire PAGE of a subject a member was looking for last night. Guess what it was. A GOOGLE link.

I've been on for so long, but is there a mandatory thread(s) new members must read before they can start posting? I know on a few forums I'm on, you can't post, and only in certain sections at that, until you've read the Mod created stickied threads and no one has the ability to post, so there's not pages of BS to go through.

I also realize the likelyhood of a member actually READING them is low, but every bit can help. Maybe.
The burden is not on you to answer tech questions. In fact, there's no requirement at all for you to answer tech questions, if that's your desire. Tech should be a community and forum effort. That's what a forum is, right? The burden is actually on Jay Jay and oc to come up with a creative plan to accomodate the new tech-hungry members, assuming that they feel that tech is a critical aspect of this site. It's possible that they don't and, if so, they should just say so.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The burden is not on you to answer tech questions. In fact, there's no requirement at all for you to answer tech questions, if that's your desire. Tech should be a community and forum effort. That's what a forum is, right? The burden is actually on Jay Jay and oc to come up with a creative plan to accomodate the new tech-hungry members, assuming that they feel that tech is a critical aspect of this site. It's possible that they don't and, if so, they should just say so.
I am always willing to help, and take pride in the fact that I'm a woman in a man's world when it comes to the scene. This woman happens to know her s**t and built her own car, so helping others is awesome for me.

I realize there's always more to learn, for anyone new or old, but my main point that some are missing, is common sense is lacking with new users lately.

I know OG's of ANY car scene will agree. Kids now a days are a different breed. Damn near everything is handed to them, whether it's by parents or the internet, people have just gotten lazy. I am completely fine w/ new users and questions. I understand the forums can be intimidating or confusing. Simple lurking and navigating through a site as well as reading before posting will get a user a LONG way IMO.

I joined the board 9.28.08 but I didn't make my intro thread until 10.05.08. It won't let me go back to see when my first post was, but I USUALLY won't post until I've made an intro.

Point being, I read read read and learned the site a bit before jumping in.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
kelly, this is what you are saying to me " i am not the problem, its everyone else" .

something that may set this site apart from others would be a featured "DIY" of the month rather than ride of the month. stop focusing on things like a photo contest that honestly only pertains to about 15 members who shoot for a living, and have super expensive cameras.
-ask for a feature that can be addressed in EVERY generation- i.e. this month we will focus on "DIY BLACK HOUSING" your headlights, then go to the junk yard and buy a head light from each gen and do a how to for each. (remember it costs money to make money)

no other website has a easy to navigate how to forum.

like it or not the "stance nation" is here, rather than telling kids how dumb they are for wanting to be dumped why not have a how to dump your car? i mean think about it, stance nation and all those other dumped sites are THRIVING right now, ride the wave, we all rode the "JDM" wave, and now that its no longer cool to be JDM i think a lot of people are hurt. think about the shift from body kits to stock.

being innovative is what keeps sites relevant. -is there a way to "like" a post or a thread here and have it show up in my facebook/twitter news feed? that would be pretty cool, and its free marketing.

the regional forums (for me) are not as busy as they used to be, i.e. i think the last time i was in the California thread was 3 years ago. perhaps you get members who are more in tune with local events i.e. track nights, dyno specials in local areas, and you pay them with some sort of clubcivic swag, hats, shirts, key rings.

products need to be more "fresh' example, different/limited edition lanyards, different shirts that do not scream internet nerd, maybe remove the .com from your t-shirts? there is a very limited group that socially accepts a shirt that has a dot com on it ;)
-on that note, is it at all possible to release a line of club civic engine dress ups or interior dress kits? i do not know if there is a market for this but it seemed to work for password jdm.

i really hope that one of these ideas generates some positive talks with the mods, and remember that i have a consultant fee ;)

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
kelly, this is what you are saying to me " i am not the problem, its everyone else" .
Whoa, absolutely NOT. I even said I am an a*****e in some posts, so how do you gather that I think I'm holier than thou?? Why Single ME out when other members in this thread have AGREED with me?

I even acknowledged points from newbs w/ a site being intimidating, confusing, hard to navigate at first. That's why you lurk.

I guess I'm so reliant on common sense that I don't have patience for people without it.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Whoa, absolutely NOT. I even said I am an a*****e in some posts, so how do you gather that I think I'm holier than thou?? Why Single ME out when other members in this thread have AGREED with me?

I even acknowledged points from newbs w/ a site being intimidating, confusing, hard to navigate at first. That's why you lurk.

I guess I'm so reliant on common sense that I don't have patience for people without it.
Common sense ain't so common anymo gurl!

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't even go in the tech sections anymore. My tech interests just didn't jive with what most new members are going for these days. I come from a racing background and it seems most people are just interested in form>function.

I spend time in the Northeast section and the Lounge/VIP where I can just chat and not have to explain to people that camber isn't what's eating their tires up or that putting 600lb springs in the front of their civic and a massive sway bar are just going to make the thing handle like dog s**t.

I also think combining all the tech into general sections was a bad choice. Suspension designs vastly changed when the 7th gens came out and the new stuff is just mixed in with the old. A Civic isn't what a Civic used to be, separating by generation was a good way for people to be able to hone in on the particulars of their car without digging through 10-tons of unrelated threads.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The idea of combining the tech sections was to basically make people learn. We were finding people would stay in just one generation, and that's all stay in, even though they have knowledge for other generations.

RonJ

Banned
...f**king new kids rolling in thinking they know everything. yet still ask the same questions like "what lug nuts fit my car", "which wheels should i get" "what lowering springs should i get" it just gets old after years of being on here. i myself dont even post as much as i use to. cause of that kinda s**t. i say we burn the site down and rebuild it from scratch lol
It is hard to continue to give the same useful advice over and over again only to have it completely ignored...

poster: "H0W L0W ShOuLD I GO Wit da nEw EK"
me: "an inch and a half 2inches would likely make the car a little more responsive and not require a ton of modification"
poster: "will ma wheels be tucked dat low?"
me "probably not but if you go really low you will need to completely replace the suspension to all after market higher quality components.. and make huge adjustments"
poster: "I think ima juz get dis FulL SuSPEnSion KiT link www.ebay.com/jdm/dropzoneslamjdmcoilovers
me: *bangs head into wall"

I am certainly not the end all in Honda knowledge... but when you time and time again tell someone exactly how to accomplish what they are trying to do... and they just completely ignore you.. it gets really really really old.. ask people here.. I would go out of my way and explain things with PAGES of detail.. having all that effort ignored? it is just frustrating...
I think we should have a test upon registering with only three answers.
A. Are you a newb?
B. Have you lost the ability in life to use the search feature?
C. Do you know what search is?

C is the only correct and logical answer.
...but my main point that some are missing, is common sense is lacking with new users lately.

I know OG's of ANY car scene will agree. Kids now a days are a different breed. Damn near everything is handed to them, whether it's by parents or the internet, people have just gotten lazy. I am completely fine w/ new users and questions. I understand the forums can be intimidating or confusing. Simple lurking and navigating through a site as well as reading before posting will get a user a LONG way IMO.
The point of this thread is to brainstorm ideas to stimulate activity on this site. The responses above seem to focus on the belief that the answer is for CC to attract only smart, highly ambitious, self-motivated new members who will post stellar tech questions that have never been asked before. Good luck with that. Do you understand the infinitesimally small number of such elite members that fit this criteria? And what's your plan to attract and keep this handful of elite members?

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The idea of combining the tech sections was to basically make people learn. We were finding people would stay in just one generation, and that's all stay in, even though they have knowledge for other generations.
People tend to stay in the generation they own. Most people on this site haven't owned 3-4-5 difference civics from different generations.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
People tend to stay in the generation they own. Most people on this site haven't owned 3-4-5 difference civics from different generations.
Someone has a problem, and he isn't getting a reply. Someone that only frequents another generation section gets on, doesn't see the thread, OPs thread possibly gets pushed to the back and doesn't get a reply.

Situation now:
OP has problem, someone comes in, has the answer, posts, problem solved.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The point of this thread is to brainstorm ideas to stimulate activity on this site. The responses above seem to focus on the belief that the answer is for CC to attract only smart, highly ambitious, self-motivated new members who will post stellar tech questions that have never been asked before. Good luck with that. Do you understand the infinitesimally small number of such elite members that fit this criteria? And what's your plan to attract and keep this handful of elite members?
I'm just a user on this forum that sometimes goes to meets if there's actually anything going on in the Midwest. I'm not here to babysit, hold hands, and come up w/ ideas. I've been in the scene long enough to know what I like, what keeps me around, and what events I'll go to and to keep modding my car.

If you really want my opinion, go back to the damned basics. People tend to see how they can one up each other all the time, and forums do that too. If you want a site active, there needs to be meets and events. How do you think a scene even started? A bunch of us were standing around in a lot years ago, comparing wheels we just got, or an intake, a header, lowered, etc. It became a weekly thing, and BAM, here we are today.
As far as sponsoring and all that, I really don't care about it. Yes perks are nice and sites need money, but I'm here for the SCENE, and to make friendships, not for the sponsors.

Here in STL we have meets almost every night of the week, and that's for import and domestic. STLHondas(.com) meets every Monday in the summer at SnoBiz, then cruise after that.
Wed is a meet but I can't remember where bc I don't go to that one.
Every Thurs. is Bubble Tea, then Applebees after for 1/2 price appetizers. Thursday is also Sonic which consists of more of a show scene/racing later, and Sonic consists of ALL cars.
Sundays usually consist of back road and/or river road cruises, ending at someone's house to BBQ, play video games, watch Top Gear, something. All other nights we're all busy and/or building, chill time, etc.

Most of us go to IA, no one goes to NOPI anymore and since GIR just closed last year our track scene is absolutely screwed so we are being forced to go further, which none of us really mind. STL really isn't into HIN, and a lot of us go to Starved Rock in the fall.

My point? I'm not sure since I had a lot of different tangents in my post. It made sense in my head and I just started typing.