Installing Aftermarket Mesh Grill for 96-98 Civic?

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
Okay so I bought an aftermarket mesh grill off a guy that went with the 99-00 conversion.
Long story short, I can't get it to fit right. :(

There's 5 holes at the top that I understand are meant to be bolted down, but there's a huge gap below the grill where it would sit. I see there's an indention that seems to fit inside another part of the bumper but I can't get that in place while keeping the grill aligned with the 5 holes.:x

Please don't reply with that generic answer "you get what you pay for, buying an aftermarket Ebay part" because it fit just fine on the other dudes civic. :what:

TLDR??
If anything, answer this simple question; To install this aftermarket grill with satisfactory fitment, will I have to take off the bumper?

Thank you :worthy:

CO671

Registered VIP
Well for starters 96-98 grilles are different from 99-00
You do understand that, right?

Jose1027

Registered VIP
^i think he knows that or else he would have put 96-00 instead of 96-98 in the tittle,plus he said he got it from a guy that decided to go with the 99-00 conversion.Anyways upload a pic op

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

CO671

Registered VIP
^i think he knows that or else he would have put 96-00 instead of 96-98 in the tittle,plus he said he got it from a guy that decided to go with the 99-00 conversion.Anyways upload a pic op

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
Good point; now i think I understand what he meant.
Just take off the bumper, not difficult at all; get the best fitment possible. Anywho; I've ever dealt with it, so i'm going to leave this thread hereafter.

CHYEAHMAYNE

Yes, you'll need to take off the bumper. There are screws on the bottom of the grill also, for the OEM one at least.

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the holes on top of the grill are for plastic like push lock type things. its not bolts

im also not sure if you're saying its a 99-00 grill and you're trying to install it with your 99-00 front end conversion

if thats the case the holes on top might not line up since they are designed for the 96-98 front grill.

you could always just ziptie the top of the grill down as long as u have the grill screwed into the front bumper.

motozachl

Yes, you'll need to take off the bumper. There are screws on the bottom of the grill also, for the OEM one at least.
I was able to acces these keeping the bumper intact. Just reach up under through the large bumper grill. A headlamp is handy as well

greenEJ6

I have a 99sedan and I bought one off ebay too and I didn't even try to put the screws in the bottom and it doesn't seem to move on me but I'm gonna order the oem bracket off an Si to put my mesh on

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was able to acces these keeping the bumper intact. Just reach up under through the large bumper grill. A headlamp is handy as well
the bumper comes off so easy it might take longer to reach through the holes.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The OP needs more details but it sounds like he's trying to install a 96-98 grill on an 99-00 front end.

To install or remove any grill you are supposed to remove the bumper, it's by far the simplest way to do it.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The OP needs more details but it sounds like he's trying to install a 96-98 grill on an 99-00 front end.

To install or remove any grill you are supposed to remove the bumper, it's by far the simplest way to do it.
This is what it sounds like to me as well. OP, chime in!

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
yeah i'm installing an aftermarket grill for a 96-98 grill onto an 96-98 bumper, sorry for the confusion guys.

thank you, that's all i was wondering!

emerican

Registered VIP
it honestly take less than 5 min to take the bumper off and it is defintly the right and simplest way to install it.