installing halo projector r8 headlights

sschaefer17

Alright so i have a 1998 honda civic dx and am trying to install these halo projector R8 headlights i bought. the problem is there are 4 wires for the led strip lights and halos i don't know where i would wire them in. One red and black wire for the halos and another red and black wires for the led strip. I was also told i could connect the two red wires together and run it to a switch?? i have no idea what to do any suggestions? thanks
Below are the headlights i bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400482192452?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Red = power
Black = ground

Splice the left headlight black wires together and put them to a ground (bolt). You may need to splice in extra length of wire. Next, do the same with the right headlight. No need to splice the left and right headlight grounds together (4 wires all attached).

Now for power, here's what I would do. If you want the halo and R8 LEDs to all come on together, then splice the red wires together at each headlight and connect them to your running lights (read below). If you want to control them separate, you need to have two switches and splice the matching left/right headlight red wires together. Little more work, but it gives you some different options.

So now that you have the red wires spliced together between headlights, you need to decide how you want them to turn on. Do you want a separate toggle switch or do you want your headlight switch to turn them on? Most often, people want them on with the 1st click of the headlight switch (running lights). It's easier to do it this way because the power is right there at the headlight. Turn your headlight switch to the first click, see what comes on, then splice your red wires to that bulbs power wire (you'll do this twice. One set of spliced red wires on the left and one set on the right).

If you want a switch in your cabin, just get a simple on/off switch. Run a power wire (with fuse) off your battery and into your cabin, then run your extended red wire off the halo/LED (you'll either have one wire to run because you've spliced them all together or two wires to run because you want a switch for halo and a switch for R8) into your cabin. Now you have two wires going into your car. One has power off the battery, the other is where you want power to go (headlights). Connect them to your switch, and boom goes the dynamite.

Make sense? Super easy to do.

Though I have to honest and tell you that aftermarket headlights suck. OEM's are better and cleaner. I've never been a fan of DEPO's (or what ever knock off brands are out there these days). They just give you that cheap feel and devalue Civic's as a whole. Just my .02 =)

Bergi85

Though I have to honest and tell you that aftermarket headlights suck. OEM's are better and cleaner. I've never been a fan of DEPO's (or what ever knock off brands are out there these days). They just give you that cheap feel and devalue Civic's as a whole. Just my .02 =)
I have to agree. If you want the projectors, do a retrofit. You will keep the stock headlights and The Retrofit Source has the Mini H1's which fit right into your housing. No permanent modifications required. If you don't like it, or want to go back to stock you can just take the projectors out.

And the spread on the Mini H1's are going to be a million times better than any eBay headlight housing unit. Just my .02 as well.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am guessing he purchased them more for the fake Audi strips than projector light output.

Nice post Alaska. Covered the wiring very well don't really have anything to add to that.

sschaefer17

thanks

alright thanks a lot appreciate it. Will post a picture later if anyone is curious to how they turned out. and im getting an hid kit later for the headlights

Bergi85

alright thanks a lot appreciate it. Will post a picture later if anyone is curious to how they turned out. and im getting an hid kit later for the headlights
I would like to see how they turn out. Not my style, but I like seeing how others build their cars! Good luck!=)

rebirth

5+ Year Member
I'd like to see pictures too. I've never seen a Civic with them except pictures on ebay. I have the older BMW style, and I've been thinking about those, although I would prefer to buy my previous headlights back from the person I sold them to because I can't find them anywhere. Glad you are fixing your car the way you like it, and not following a trend.

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lol exactly it gives people something to laugh at when you drive by, so technically you are making the world a better place by laughter at your own expense. Bravo.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd like to see pictures too. I've never seen a Civic with them except pictures on ebay. I have the older BMW style, and I've been thinking about those, although I would prefer to buy my previous headlights back from the person I sold them to because I can't find them anywhere. Glad you are fixing your car the way you like it, and not following a trend.
I see what you are attempting to say about being unique but Audi L.E.D. strips is a trend that he is trying to follow.

firejackal

5+ Year Member
I agree with the lot of you, usually people buy these when they are going through a ricer stage. Not saying the op is, but each his own, each his own style. I went morimoto d2s retrofit after owning a set of these ebay housings myself. You can put a led strip in stock housing if you are inclined to do that.

Just a word of advice; most of those aftermarket halo projectors are not made for hids for three reasons I have experienced...
1) They can melt or bubble the plastic projector housing (retrofit uses a metal housing.)
2) if the lens is tinted from the inside it will wrinkle the tint and also can set it on fire from what I've witnessed with a friend's car.
3) because it uses two projectors on each side, the furthest one for the headlight bulbs will be a tight fit for stock bulb plugs. If using cheap hids (plug and play kits) with the wires coming out of the bulb there is a chance the wires will be stressed and bent due to how this all sits in the car.

Source: Me

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta