Installing my sub with a control dial?

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
Hello C.C.
I have a few subs, one that is about brand new in a carpeted box ready to be installed. I have finally decided to install it however I want to run a dial in the front of the car to control the volume of the sub, rather than controlling it strictly through the radio volume. I'm not to sure on how to do it though. Is there an outlet on the amp to run a separate control?
Thanks guys.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Some amplifiers have optional base controllers. I had one with my Audiobahn amp to control the sub. What amp do you have?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
only if the amp came with a bass boost controller or has a bass boost outlet. then you have to find one that is compatible with your amp.

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
Some amplifiers have optional base controllers. I had one with my Audiobahn amp to control the sub. What amp do you have?

I havent gotten one yet because I wanted to read up on it. I have a 12" hifonics zues sub. The max is 800wts. What amp would you guys suggest? I really want to be able to easily control the bass. I listen to a wide variety of music so i dont always want the bass. Thanks for your help.
I have been thinking about running my fusion speakers again with an amp but im not sure if my deck will support two amps.

DMaldonado93

well if you only have one go with a mono block amp (if u didn't already plan to) I would look into autotek amps they are not bad and actually if you can find one that would power your sub correctly look for autoteks mean machine series amps. but to help u a bit more I need to know what is the rms rating of the sub (because RMS is more important)?

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
well if you only have one go with a mono block amp (if u didn't already plan to) I would look into autotek amps they are not bad and actually if you can find one that would power your sub correctly look for autoteks mean machine series amps. but to help u a bit more I need to know what is the rms rating of the sub (because RMS is more important)?
Copy and pasted from a website. Hope this helps.

Features of the Hifonics Zeus HZ12 include:

Type - Component
Elements - 1-Way
Function - Subwoofer
Size - 12"
Nominal Power Handling - 450 Watt
Technical Features:
Peak Power Handling - 800 Watt
Sensitivity - 89.90 dB
Impedance - 4 ohm
Components:
Woofer Material - Metal
Surround Material - Rubber
Mounting:
Top Mounting Depth - 6.00 In.
Mounting Diameter / Length - 2.00 In.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's actually hard to go wrong with a mono amp in a daily driver car. You don't need to spend more than $125-150 for a decent amp that will give you good power for a sub.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks dude, one more question, where does the bass boost go in either of those?
I really appreciate your help man.
You don't. Neither of them look to have the capability.

DMaldonado93

the autotek one has a gain control. but it may not be the best one for you I am going to look again real quick but im guessing the sub is a single voice coil?

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
the autotek one has a gain control. but it may not be the best one for you I am going to look again real quick but im guessing the sub is a single voice coil?
Yeah single voice coil. Thanks again man, i really appreciate your help.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't see remote bass control options for either of those amps posted...

*edit*
Just to give you an idea of the Audiobahn optional accessories, this is the bass controller and digital voltometer mounted in a DIN cubby (96-98 civics). Obviously it isn't powered on, but when it is both accessories are backlit with blue LEDs. They use an RJ-11 cable to connect to the amp (telephone wire basically) so it's pretty easy to run the wire under carpet.

If you decide to go that route, I think an A8000J or A8000T should handle your sub without problems. I think they RMS at 500w @ 4ohm. I was powering a 2000w pioneer dual voice coil @ 2ohm on the A8000T and enjoyed the sound a lot.

Like I mentioned earlier, it's hard to go wrong with a single channel amp for a woofer as long as it can meet the power demands. The trick will be finding a brand that offers the accessories that you want.

*double ninja edit*
This is the pic I was looking for... You can see the bass control and voltometer at the bottom.

Last edited: