installing subwoofer system

Robpfd

5+ Year Member
hopefully soon i'll be installing a subwoofer system into my 99 civic ex coupe what is the best brand to get cause i'm going to install a double speaker in my trunk

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well need to know your budget, and what kind of sound you are trying to get.

Robpfd

5+ Year Member
trying around $600 and good sound especially for heavy metal fan lol. this is my first time doing anything to a civic i've done stuff to a jeep wrangler 2 complete different vehicles.

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
a double speaker? do u mean 2 subs?

budget? goals? musical taste?

Robpfd

5+ Year Member
yea i meant 2 subs lol around $600 and i'm a huge metal fan plus i gotta change the speakers on my front doors

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what are your goals? just something better sounding? or do u wanna beat down the block?

ocdjg

5+ Year Member
What type of HU do you have? What size subs are you planning on going with? Is 600 your budget for everything or just the subs?

Robpfd

5+ Year Member
Now I'm not the smartest in audio stuff what is HU lol. i'm thinking 12 inch subs and hoping $600 for all lol

ocdjg

5+ Year Member
'HU' is an acronym for head unit, or in lamens terms your radio.

OK so you want a pair of 12's subs. Since you seem like a real noob, I'm assuming you have no idea what kind of speaker enclosure you want (that would be the box). You have in essence three choices, bandbass, ported & sealed. Since you like heavy metal, I don't think you want super deep rumbling lows. If I were you I'd opt for a sealed enclosure. It'll give you tight, accurate and non over bearing bass. I'd also opt for something smaller than 12's. Personally I love 10" subs.

Since you said earlier that your front speakers need to be replaced, I recommend going with some regular coaxial speakers. Our cars take 6-1/2" speakers in the front. Coaxials are the speakers that have the tweeters built in. The other option would be components which are better but are usually more expensive.

Robpfd

5+ Year Member
i'm glad i'm on 2 different forums cause i ain't getting any damn help from anyone hell i had more help on jeep forums for my jeep for crying out loud can't you all just give me info besides all this other crap but on my other post which i posted on there after i realized i did the wrong one or i'll just stay off this one and use another one

Robpfd

5+ Year Member
i just been going through a lot thats all hell ain't forums supposed to help people when they are in need of it. the head unit is the factory one. it got annoying when i was driving home today from work and my left front speaker kept working and not working. i found good prices for speakers by looking around now must save some money

ocdjg

5+ Year Member
I'd get myself a quality HU, new 6-1/2" coaxial speakers for the front, and some nice 6X9's for the rear deck first. Then I'd just save up for a descent amp and sub(s) setup later.

Upgrading your four stock speakers and your stock HU for quality components will make a huge difference. You could get a nice HU for around $200, some descent coaxials for about $50-$70/each and some nice 6X9's for the rear for about $80-$100/each. That'll set you back about $480-540 right there. For brands I like Alpine, Pioneer, & Kenwood, in that order. Feel free to mix and match brands for your set up too. Good luck with your build.

Brando312

5+ Year Member
If you are really into metal you don't have to worry much about subs in my opinion. Nice to have them but subs can make metal sound not so good.

Bro'sslowdx

It's mine now...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
spend about 100 on a good deck, spend around 200 on speakers for all of em, and get a 8-10 inch sub no more than 500 watts if you like metal. My car came with a pretty good system besides the deck. I have a 10 inch off-brand sub in my truck that I think is like 300 watts? And it bumps awesome for rap, techno, and rock. I can barely hear anything else in my car when I have it on but luckily you can barely hear it from a different car in traffic.

CIVICEXJMS

5+ Year Member
Lightening audio is a good sub, i have it in my 2000 civic. It's like 200 for the whole kit.

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
decent hu will run you about 250ish..go with components and no speakers in the rear. phoenix gold rsd's only cost 79 shipped. 2 ch amp for the speakers will run you about another 100-150.