intake/exhaust

tjlucas

Banned
i want to make my car rumble a bit and sound a bit better. i got a 1.5L 95sedan and it sounds weak. i dont want no fartcan noise and im not gonna change my intake exhaust for performance the car is a slug no matter what. im gonna put an intake on for sure. my question is what could i do in terms of exhaust to make the car give out a meaner sound? what if i changed my catalytic converter but left the muffler? what if i changed my muffler only? both? what if i got another cat and punched a whole though it and only put on that one when gettin emissions? if i changed my entire exhaust including headers could that cause damage to my engine cuz theres no backpressure or somethin?

im strugglin here

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
For your car Id go for a AEM Short ram intake, A good catback exhaust is going to cost some money, for your case id get a axle back of your choice to make some noise.

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no offense dude, but your rolling a 1.5L 4 cylinder....its not going to rumble, and it sure as hell isnt going to sound mean. If you really only want more sound out of it go with a cheap ebay intake, AEM is a waste of money. And take redlines advice and just get an axle back to change up the sound.

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
before i swapped my motor (in my eg8 also with the 1.5) i had just an ebay intake for like 25 bucks like he said, its the way to go. And i ordered a muffler for 30 bucks and had custom catback welded on for 90 bucks. My exhaust was 2.5 and with a 4" tip. It didnt sound like a ricer be4 the swap it was actually pretty throaty and sounded like it had way more than it did. Try tht. But get a swap maaan ;)

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Keep that cat. Removing it makes it ricey sounding no matter what muffler you have.

Jordan_n

No fun unless ur Dragging
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i got a lil 1.5 with intake and cheapo ebay cat and exhaust, alot of folks tell me its sounding meaner then their v6's, either way its still my beater

and its no ricey sound either, nice deep sound

tjlucas

Banned
i no, i wouldnt put an AEM intake on my civic, way to much money to spend on a honda. but i will thro on an intake for sure. r there catbacks that dont have that stupid huge fartcan at the end?

tjlucas

Banned
so my car is hopeless, its either fartcan or nothin eh, ill throw on an intake but even with an intake its just gon sound like a vacuum cleaner

Milano01

Old School CC.com'er
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, i have a 1.5 D15b7, you don't need a cat, f**k that thing i hate those lol i got into a race today with a guy in a 7th gen coupe and kicked his ass with his cat. I second the AEM short ram, i have that in my sedan and its loud and agressive enough with that alone. it may cost a bit but if you want that kinda sound its probably the best way to go its lower in the cabin because its in the front. but the harder you accelerate the louder it will become.

chunky

'94 hatch Si
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i hear taking the oil out and pulling plug wire will give it a mean sound

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol the aem intake on my frends LS doesnt sound half as mean as my regular ebay short ram. and on my setup i also left the stock cat so it didnt sound so ricey.

tjlucas

Banned
what about headers? what will the do for sound, what diff will they make for performance

and what if i changed my intake and entire exhaust, could that cause any problems on a stock motor?

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You want have porblems changing all that out, but its not going to do a damn thing for you performance wise. I personally wouldnt waste money on a header or full exhaust. Just get a cheap intake and a muffler to bolt on and you will have a better sound.

1999civicsi

Banned
back when i had my 90 integra ls with just intake..holy s**t...when i beat on the car...that thing was so fuking loud...for an old ass car it sounded damn good to...no name short ram...i dont kno about d series but on the integra b18b that fuker screamed..o and it also allowed me to chirp second..

civicboy_12

5+ Year Member
\\ Forgiven // said:
no offense dude, but your rolling a 1.5L 4 cylinder....its not going to rumble, and it sure as hell isnt going to sound mean. If you really only want more sound out of it go with a cheap ebay intake, AEM is a waste of money. And take redlines advice and just get an axle back to change up the sound.
i agree i have da same car and i put a auto zone intake and my friend has a 98 civic coupe vtec with an aem intake and i still beat him every time......after his car got owned (stole his rims, system and intake), he brought a cheap intake, and he finally kept up.........so basically go with da cheap 1

civicboy_12

5+ Year Member
tunerfreak87 said:
lol the aem intake on my frends LS doesnt sound half as mean as my regular ebay short ram. and on my setup i also left the stock cat so it didnt sound so ricey.

i agree

tjlucas

Banned
\\ Forgiven // said:
You want have porblems changing all that out, but its not going to do a damn thing for you performance wise. I personally wouldnt waste money on a header or full exhaust. Just get a cheap intake and a muffler to bolt on and you will have a better sound.

ya, intake for sure, didnt plan on putting an expensive one on so thats good, and muffler i wanted to do but i think i mite have trouble finding a muffler thats not a fartcan

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just get an eBay exhaust and intake.....then call it a day.