intake help?

greenES2

so i jus have a question? what is the purpose of the little tube coming off the air box? it seems pointless

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
remember once and for all son, nothing that is made by Honda is pointless :lol:

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^ haha nice

were kinda jacking thread here

OP my two sisters and brother have the same civics but im not exactly sure why the intakes were designed that way
maybe its to draw cooler air from the hole in the apron?

DJEarthQuake

is real and not fake!
5+ Year Member
The short tube that connects the intake manifold to valve cover? I am assuming, being half psychic. If so that is the top end of Positive Crankcase Ventilation system. This PCV acronym allegedly provides better gas mileage and less emissions burning vaporized oil with your low rpm 20:1 lean burning engine that gets richer to 12.5:1 by the time VTEC is doing it's thing. Additionally this is clearly another methodology to keep car from blowing under extreme pressures your grand dads deal(t) with breathers... the much smaller air filters seen in auto stores still today. That is the most useless tube on there! Too much of this your engines' air holes, runners, and throttle bodies, get suffocated with pipping hot oil instead of Cold Air Intake air or inter-cooler cooled cold air. It is a vacuum. The biggest one on the engine. Better engines use oil cans to replace that scrap size tubing. The engine best uses a pump to pump oil back into engine instead of that ugly tube. Burning oil is never utopic. Some even get like 4 tubes put on valve cover custom and run braided lines to a can or 2. I suggest using old propane can or universal transparent reservoir so you can see what I am saying on the cheap. If it fills up on stock engine often simply replacing cheaply valve seals fixes full oil can, if not recommend taking head to machinist with air hammer tool and some bronze e-bay guides from KMS and thank me later grinding the valves if engine is really toasty from wear usually exhaust side. Stock engines do 50 miles an hour in 1st gear at 9 grand cammed, with no other mods except ECU and good gas, exhaust, CAI, retarded timing 5 degrees from TDC base-mapped. They are stomper little engines that could unbelievably for me coming from a 302 world with Saleen mods plus majorly blessed growing up driving classic Mustangs, Chargers, and Nissans. I like this little SOHC engine the best. I picked head up out of the car no hoist and split it in 3 pieces by myself in tiny garage. Used a T bar on engine bay with chains to hold gear box and block to roll each out separate via each wheel bay.
"Don't quote me boy 'cause I don't know $h1t."

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
more simply put its for drawing in cooler air away from the engine.