Iridium......

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
basically the answer to any question in this thread: longevity

like ^^^ said, different type of metal can withstand more heat that others, therefore lasting longer

SiR

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DOn't change your ignition stuff unless you're runing racing fuel or are F/I. There's simply no point. Honda OEM stuff is more then good enough to handle the little stuff you'll ad to your car... don't play with ignition stuff until much MUCH later. =)

.:SiR:.

b16asi226

The East Coast Kid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Originally posted by SiR
DOn't change your ignition stuff unless you're runing racing fuel or are F/I. There's simply no point. Honda OEM stuff is more then good enough to handle the little stuff you'll ad to your car... don't play with ignition stuff until much MUCH later. =)

.:SiR:.

^^^:hitlol:

ok, listen to this guy if you want to kill your gas mileage along with pistons, valves. its not major wear, but if your engine is breathing better then its getting more fuel, if all that fuel isnt burned it starts to "pit" your combustion chamber. at least get plugs and wires, now a dis., coil and stuff can wait for forced induction, spray or a reprogrammed ECU.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by b16asi226
^^^:hitlol:

ok, listen to this guy if you want to kill your gas mileage along with pistons, valves. its not major wear, but if your engine is breathing better then its getting more fuel, if all that fuel isnt burned it starts to "pit" your combustion chamber. at least get plugs and wires, now a dis., coil and stuff can wait for forced induction, spray or a reprogrammed ECU.

actually he IS right, you dont need to upgrade your ignition...

b16asi226

The East Coast Kid
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
ok, fine dont upgrade it, but then when your compression goes to s**t and you start to burn oil you'll know why. i mean its plugs and wires, its like $100 bucks. but hey, its your ride

temp02

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by slambed_civic
what the hell is everyone talking about? put a damn NGK plug in your honda and call it a day. as long as you have a spark to make your fuel combust your fine, just think about it....

NGK does make iridium plugs......:roll: :roll:

temp02

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by b16asi226
ok, fine dont upgrade it, but then when your compression goes to s**t and you start to burn oil you'll know why. i mean its plugs and wires, its like $100 bucks. but hey, its your ride

he IS right, why do you think the ERICKS RACING CIVIC (www.ericksracing.com) running low 10s and also the worlds QUICKEST unibody honda is running the stock ignition system (http://www.ericksracing.com/racecar.htm), and his GSR has some sort of compression ratio over 14:1 (last i read), why? BECAUSE THE STOCK IGNITION SYSTEM IS MORE THEN ADEQUITE

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
actually temp he just got into the 9's on that, still stock ignition. like i said earilier, if your running faster than a 9, you should upgrade your ignition. for boost/turbo you should change your plugs to a different heat range. thats different than putting in a 30 or 50 dollar set of special spark plugs that does the same as a 5 dollar set.

temp02

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by handlebarsfsr
actually temp he just got into the 9's on that, still stock ignition. like i said earilier, if your running faster than a 9, you should upgrade your ignition. for boost/turbo you should change your plugs to a different heat range. thats different than putting in a 30 or 50 dollar set of special spark plugs that does the same as a 5 dollar set.

9.99 on the stock ignition, with no intention of changing it

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by temp02
NGK does make iridium plugs......:roll: :roll:
yes but if you go to a parts store 90% of them wont have iridium plugs, NGK V-power is adequate enough, and MOST parts store do carry these...

skunk2'ed

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by O.Z Chi
Copper is proven to be the best electrical conductor.
Not trying to flame or nothin, but copper used to be the best, but they now found silver to be the best conductor. Just my :twocents:

SI civic94-R

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I get Denso Iridiums for free so might as well put them on
this topic started out by some guy asking if he should get Iridium plugs