Is it normal to have oil coming from my valve cover breather?

serversurfer

The kid at AutoZone didn't seem to think it was a big deal, but I'm not so sure.

I've got some kind of cold air intake on the car, and there was a hose running from the breather to the side of the intake. It was cracked at the breather, and oil was dripping from there. There was also oil running through the hose, in to the intake, and out through the air filter. I replaced the hose and the PCV valve, went home and washed the air filter. The kid thought it was normal to lose some oil from there, and suggested that if it bothered me to have the oil leaking out the air filter, I could replace the hose with a breather filter. I pointed out if I did that, I'd just have oil leaking from a different filter, and he said, "Oh, right." :lol:

So, it's been a few days since I did this, and I still have oil dripping out of the intake. It seems like there's less oil now, but I can't be sure, since I have no way to measure it. Is this actually normal? If so, how do I know how much is "too much"?

FWIW, the hose leading to the PCV looked okay, but I didn't pull it off and blow through it or anything. I didn't really look at the hose leading away from the PCV. If either of those are clogged at all, that may also cause the problem, right?

Oh, the kid I bought it from pointed out that it leaked oil. After I got it, I changed the oil and discovered his "solution" to keeping it topped up was apparently to run 6-7 quarts in it. ><

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
some oil will come out of it but not like a ton,

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Sounds like you have a lot of blowby from your crankcase. What is the model and engine of the civic?

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Oh, just noticed the car in his sig. OP is that the car you are talking about?

serversurfer

Yes, it's a '93 CX with a D16Z6 swapped in. There's some kind of CAI on it, but all I know about it is that it has a 2.75" OD pipe and it's painted silver.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
So he told you that was his solution, or it just seemed like alot of oil coming out?

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
3-3.5 is low. Should be at least 4. Does it still do it after the oil change?

serversurfer

So he told you that was his solution, or it just seemed like alot of oil coming out?
No, that's what it showed on the dipstick when I went to check the oil. At first, I wasn't even sure it was the right dipstick, but I changed it oil, put in 3.5 Q, and sure enough, it came right up to full.

serversurfer

3-3.5 is low. Should be at least 4. Does it still do it after the oil change?
3.5 US qt. is what the Helm's shows for an oil change including filter and 4 qt. for an overhaul, so I guess I have a total of 4 qt. It's losing oil (not just through the breather), so sometimes it's ~0.5 qt. low.

Yes, it still does it after the oil change, but changing the PCV valve seems to have reduced it somewhat, though it didn't eliminate it.