Is it possible to remove the Throttle body sensor.

3King

5+ Year Member
On a 98 Honda civic ex (D16Y8)

My car wont start, ive check the fuel system its not the relay,pump, injectors, nor the EGR Valve, there is fuel moving. Ive already done a tune up so i have new spark plugs and wire set, and me and my friend have already check for electric current and it was working. yet the car doesnt start.

so we are thinking its probably the throttle body or TBS sensor =/ were just not sure if we have to buy the entire new unit or can we replace just the sensor.

plz help.

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You have a EGR Valve?

3King

5+ Year Member
yes egr valve

The EGR valve helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again. This results in a cooler, more complete burn of the fuel which decreases you car's noxious emissions by prohibiting the formation of some harmful gases.

3King

5+ Year Member
nah i have one lol i was playing around with it earlier buddy. so aint no one gunna tell me i dont have one xD. but thats not the point im trying to figure if theres a way to replace the TPS Sensor

fusion

5+ Year Member
your tps wont stop your car from starting. check your firing order and make sure you put the right plugs over the right cylinder. and check to make sure you have compression in each cylinder. then check your dizzy and make sure its calibrated to provide spark to the right cylinder at the right time.

edit:
and yes it is possible to remove it. you need a dremel and flat head screwdriver. the bolts apear to be riveted in however they are not. once you make a groove big enough to slip a screwdriver in, they will turn right out.

3King

5+ Year Member
would my throttle bottle stop it from starting at all?

and i have already double checked the wires and the firing order they are in, and what is the dizzy???
how can i make sure theres compression in the cylinders?

by the way i was thinking it could be the timing.

3King

5+ Year Member
OK dizzy= distributor! got it.. ive already tested it ...well yeah its nothign electrical =? im not sure wtf it is

RonJ

Banned
A bad TPS is an unlikely cause for a no-start. In addition, the stock D16Y8 engine does not have an EGR system, but the stock D16Y5 engine does. Do you actually have a D16Y5 engine?

Have you checked for bright white spark at the plugs?

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when the key is turned to ON(II)?

Any CEL codes?

3King

5+ Year Member
Hmm i looked at it closer and ill admit ej8kid u were right lol
my friend pointted and told me the wrong part and name and he has more experience than me so i believed him >.<

either way i do have D16y8(yay)
and ron i dont have an diagnostic tools so i wouldnt get any codes
the check engine light does not come on, the only lights coming on are the oil change light adn the battery light. but ive already tried jump starting the car and still nothing and we tried starter fluid still a no go =/
by the way is the fuel pump prime something liek a click followed by a buzzin or humming sound if so then yes

i highly doubt its the spark plugs though theyre brand new.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Does the car crank at least when you try to turn it on? It could be a bad starter... Oh, and check on google how to read ur CEL codes w/o a reader.... it is possible.

3King

5+ Year Member
yea it cranks its not the starter or alternator those are the first things i considered but if was that im pretty sure either one wulda completely gave out a by now but it still cranks great.

But come to think of it... I just remembered that when i first got the car i had some problems with the idle air control valve. however the check engine light went away along with the problem.... ionno if it came back with a vengeance or wat? lol

right now my top suspicions are throttle body, TPS, idle air control valve, or the timing
the tps is confusing cause some ppl say it does keep it from starting and some say no.

RonJ

Banned
You should change your thread title to "D16Y8 cranks but won't start".

It sounds like the fuel pump is priming. When you turn the key to ON(II), does the CEL turn on and then off after 2 seconds? Click here to learn how to pull CEL codes using a piece of wire or paperclip.

Even though the spark plugs are new, you now need to test for spark at the plugs using this method.

Have you checked whether the timing belt snapped? Have a buddy crank the engine while you look into the oil fill cap hole with a flashlight. Do you see the rocker arms moving?

3King

5+ Year Member
Lol right xD

Thats useful thnx a lot ill try that when I get home.
At this poing ill try anything as well I don't wanna be borrowing my step dads lame cavalier any more >.<

3King

5+ Year Member
Lol right xD

Thats useful thnx a lot ill try that when I get home.
At this poing ill try anything as well I don't wanna be borrowing my step dads lame cavalier any more >.<

3King

5+ Year Member
i was gunna try the paper clip thing but the 98 honda civic ex service connector has alot more wires than the one yuo showed me

RonJ

Banned
You are looking at the wrong connector. Remove the passenger kick panel. The 2P service connector is just above the ECU.