Is JDM the new Rice?

ryantrevors

5+ Year Member
So i'm sad to say it. But It seems to me that JDM styling has become tuner-commercialized to an extreme.

Dont know what i mean?

Lets look back.

Street Racing was cool. Everyone thought so. It was wicked underground and badass.
Enter: Fast and the Furious. Now it's hella mainstream and everyone is crazy riced-out with altezza taillights and coffee can mufflers.

Drifting was cool. None of the ricers were up on it. It was new. It was fresh. It was different.
Enter: Tokyo Drift. Same situation. Everyone is drifting everything from Ford Tauruses to Mazda MPVs anywhere they can pull an e-brake and slide a little.

What are the real hardcore tuner guys to do? JDM.
What the F is that?!?!?!?!?!!?
Noone really knows. So it's cool now. Underground. Whatever.
Clean. White. Red-Pinstripes. b swaps and turbos instead of nitrous.
Awesome.

Now, i drive around and see:

EF Sedans with a chubby white kid with a backwards hat behind the wheel. and its not because he cant afford an EG. No body kit. lowered. CF hood. gold wheels.

Makes me wanna shoot someone.

What the f**k is next after JDM?

senatE

Titanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry to say but this thread was pointless. its not the new rice. ppl just grow out of it.

ryantrevors

5+ Year Member
it was just a title.

because the same thing is gonna happen. but what is gonna be cool after jdm?

senatE

Titanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the same thing. there is not going to be anything. 16yr olds that are just gettin there cars are the ones that like the rice and we like jdm bc we are older. and i see plenty of old ppl riding around all riced out. but i dotn make fun of them bc thats what they like. just like i hope ppl dont make fun of me and respect me for what i liek.

ryantrevors

5+ Year Member
you cant stereotype it like that. im 17. i just got my car. but i like jdm and think rice went out years ago. i always liked the clean look even when i was into rice when i was 14. but rice went out. drifting was in. then that went out. jdm came in. and jdm is gonna go out eventually. its inevitable.

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you cant stereotype it like that. im 17. i just got my car. but i like jdm and think rice went out years ago. i always liked the clean look even when i was into rice when i was 14. but rice went out. drifting was in. then that went out. jdm came in. and jdm is gonna go out eventually. its inevitable.
Drift hasent went out, And JDM will not go out.. Why? because its OEM and japan is where these cars are from..

ryantrevors

5+ Year Member
Drift hasent went out, And JDM will not go out.. Why? because its OEM and japan is where these cars are from..
not necessarily go out. but become so obnoxiously commercialized that you dont even want to be associated with drifting anymore because someone will mistake you for someone who didnt know about drifting until Tokyo Drift came out.

senatE

Titanium Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nothing goes out. you just done see it around. trust me i bet there is a million ricers in other countries.

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not necessarily go out. but become so obnoxiously commercialized that you dont even want to be associated with drifting anymore because someone will mistake you for someone who didnt know about drifting until Tokyo Drift came out.
Drifting and the JDM look really dont look similar..

schutzracing

#1 ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry to say but this thread was pointless. its not the new rice. ppl just grow out of it.

wow this has been argued a billion times.. but heres my two cents. first i disagree with what senate said.. at first body kits and wing weres cool but apparently people grew out of it and it all of a sudden became rice.. so why is it the same thing can happen with "jdm"? I repect the people who build some " i didnt say all here" rice cars because it costs alot more to get a car to the show form then a jdm car.. i know alot of jdm stuff costs alot of money but not a quater of what go into a show car. Apparently alls u need is two lips,slammed and small rims and your mad crazy jdm yo.. People make fun of car with unpainted kits.. well i seem to see a shitload of unpainted lips out there.. are they rice? Alot of people say rice is gay cause its all the same s**t and everyone does the same things and are followers.. well i see 50 billion civic with lips and rims and think there jdm? arent jdm people the biggest followers? they try to make there car look like one from another country.. its like there is a book somewhere with a list of rules jdm people follow. I think show cars are so much better cause there is no rule book. they all look different and it takes alot more creativeness,talent and work to build a showcar. I could ebay two lips and a set of hx's and be "jdm". Try doin that and win a show. I hate when the jdm people with 500$$ into it make fun of my rice car when i have like 10k into it and more time then he ever will into his car. My car doesnt look like anything else. jdm cars look like the 500 next to them for the most part.. I could go on for days. but im not im mad tired lol.. but jdm is gay to some people and rice is gay to other people.. its all what your into and cars should be judged by time,effort and creativeness into it. no cause it fills out a certian criteria.

alot of people are saying how rice went out and jdm came in.. well why did everyone follow? when there wasnt jdm what were u? why be a part of a trend?

ryantrevors

5+ Year Member
Drifting and the JDM look really dont look similar..
im not talking about looks. im talking about when JDM becomes like rice and drifting because of some movie or something, the same thing will happen that happened the last two times.

when everyone thought a skyline was the coolest car ever and that paul walker could really drive like that and that drifting is as simple as e-braking and turning.

ryantrevors

5+ Year Member
wow this has been argued a billion times.. but heres my two cents. first i disagree with what senate said.. at first body kits and wing weres cool but apparently people grew out of it and it all of a sudden became rice.. so why is it the same thing can happen with "jdm"? I repect the people who build some " i didnt say all here" rice cars because it costs alot more to get a car to the show form then a jdm car.. i know alot of jdm stuff costs alot of money but not a quater of what go into a show car. Apparently alls u need is two lips,slammed and small rims and your mad crazy jdm yo.. People make fun of car with unpainted kits.. well i seem to see a shitload of unpainted lips out there.. are they rice? Alot of people say rice is gay cause its all the same s**t and everyone does the same things and are followers.. well i see 50 billion civic with lips and rims and think there jdm? arent jdm people the biggest followers? they try to make there car look like one from another country.. its like there is a book somewhere with a list of rules jdm people follow. I think show cars are so much better cause there is no rule book. they all look different and it takes alot more creativeness,talent and work to build a showcar. I could ebay two lips and a set of hx's and be "jdm". Try doin that and win a show. I hate when the jdm people with 500$$ into it make fun of my rice car when i have like 10k into it and more time then he ever will into his car. My car doesnt look like anything else. jdm cars look like the 500 next to them for the most part.. I could go on for days. but im not im mad tired lol.. but jdm is gay to some people and rice is gay to other people.. its all what your into and cars should be judged by time,effort and creativeness into it. no cause it fills out a certian criteria.
i'll rev to...most...of that...

like i said. the same thing is gonna happen with jdm. we just need to be prepared.

no, my car isnt done, and when it is done, its not going to look like ANYTHING youve seen before. but its gonna be clean. which is what jdm is really all about. keeping it clean and simple.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
who cares, just do whatever you think looks good and just go with it.