Is the B18 DOHC VTEC Type R worth it?

Keithsjr

5+ Year Member
Its going to cost about 4k give or take for the entire swap. Can everyone give me your opinions on this engine, pros and cons. And I'm not going to get anything bigger than a 1.8L so give your suggestions.

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd do it. :shock:

Just for your information because it's bothering me.. It's Vtec, not Vtech. :P

Keithsjr

5+ Year Member
Yea, its just cause Tech is the correct spelling, but Tec is the correct spelling for the engine, anyways this is irrelevant and I just need opinions on the JDM B18C DOHC Vtech Spec R, type R whatever, It comes stock about 200 hp which is equivalent to the B20 and K20a2

RonJ

Banned
Yea, its just cause Tech is the correct spelling, but Tec is what they go buy
Not a big deal but actually VTEC (without the h) is the correct spelling:

Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control system (VTEC)

Last edited:

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
hell i would do it 4k for the whole swap done idk if that sounds about right if ur a little short go with the b18c a little weaker but can achieve greatness easily

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
it all depends on you really we can only give opinions imo ill go with the gsr but thats just me that saves you like 1k even after you buy what else is needed 1k can be put towards aftermarket stuff for the dohc

Keithsjr

5+ Year Member
yea Im going to get a new exaust after I get the engine in, ride it N/a for a while because my car needs alot of cosmetic work, have to get a new hood, most likely carbon fiber because I got into a small wreck last monday because some guy slammed on his brakes in from of me.

Then I have to fix my hood cable because I have to pull the cable myself to open my hood, i need it to open when i pull the lever in the car.

My car is already dropped, Then get a body kit because my car doesnt even have side skirts and I'll either end up getting new fenders because I have a couple chips or I might just fill it in with fiber glass. Then give it a nice paint job (I only have a white primer on my car right now)

I have a 92 Dx hatch so I either have to find the door moldings on the side, im not sure what they are called, they are suppose to protect your car from people who slammed their car doors into yours, I havent had any luck finding those.

Then change out my dash, I installed temporary carpet that I bought from home depot for like $30, so I plan on installing legit OEM carpet. Get some racing seats, fix my back passenger seat belt (it wont retract) if I decide to keep the back seat, get a new back seat or remove it entirely. fix my door panel locks. Get some nice rims. Then I will proceed to put turbo in it, a aftermarket cool air intake, and after market 4-way fuel injection, on top of many other things

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
dont get a a bodykit man well if you do go with buddy club or something not too ricey even tho its impossible to go anti-rice with bodykits other then that sounds like ur on a good start

Keithsjr

5+ Year Member
No, its not going to be anything ricey, just something to give it a nice touch if you know what I mean. IMO ricers are the idiots that have all looks like gigantic spoiler, rims, body kits that touch the ground, then when it comes to under the hood they have little stock 1.5 liters with nothing else and they dont even know their car when it comes to performance

Keithsjr

5+ Year Member
purpej1 do you happen to know what the little strips on the side doors of dx hatches are called (the strip that protects your car from being bumped by other peoples doors) and perhaps where I can get a pair? If I can't find them should I just buy carbon fiber doors and fill in the part on the quarter panels with fiber glass and sand it down so I dont have that random indention on my car? yea mine too, I bought my 92 dx hatch off craigslist for $1000 runs perfect, just has cosmetic problems.

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
their called sidemoldings you can get jdm ones online for like 120 i think or go to auto wrecker and dont get carbon fiber doors their like 600+ unless you plan on doing some auto x