is the Catback worth it?

civicnoob

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys, Is a full catback system really worth getting? Cause my friend is gonna give me his tanabe medallion Exhaust muffler. And i was going to take it to a muffler shop and have them change my piping to a 2.25" piping and get that muffler on. I mean this would only cost me $100, but getting a full catback will cost me upwards of 350+.

Basically, is there any significant gains if I were to get the full catback system, rather than the Universal muff with 2.25 piping.
Right now Im not thinking about the headers just yet as Im a broke ass PO' beotch.

rey rey

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm passing the cat-back and going with the custom 2.25 pipe and magnaflo high flo res,.
gains are are about the same give or take a pony. keep in mind you'll need a header and intake to see any reall gains the cat back alone wont do much.

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is no difference in gains from a custom exhaust piping and muffler compared to a 400-500 cat back exhaust. its mainly for looks and sound.

NewEraImports09

Civic Aficionado
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If its just the catback you are definately getting like 4-5 hp but if you get other parts to compliment it like headers and intake like RAY Ray said. Getting just the Catback is like taking a bath. But getting all three is like taking a bath using soap and deodorant, they all work best when u use all three. First mod I did on my new hatch was buy a CB exhaust....$280

rey rey

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Getting just the Catback is like taking a bath. But getting all three is like taking a bath using soap and deodorant,
so fresh and so clean

NewEraImports09

Civic Aficionado
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thast some funny s**t cuz i though about adding that in right after i had posted it. great minds do think alike

edhgreatone

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i spent over 500 on my greddy evo exhaust.... as much as i love it i regret so much not going to a muffler shop and getting custom piping...

NewEraImports09

Civic Aficionado
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Custom piping is usually the way to go though, but I actually bought myself a Tsudo Catback Exhaust from ebay w/ titanium tip for $280 w/ shipping and the shits working great. Can't wait to hear it once the B18C1 gets dropped in along with the headers.

rey rey

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NewEraImports09 said:
happy belated birthday man... :rocker:
if your talking to me thank if not :(

I still haven't worked on my exhuast im waiting fo the hearder to come in sometime next week.
I found a place here in the Chi that can get me a magna-flo high flo res for $65 and will install he piping for anoither $80 thats $145 for that. and i have a bombz style muffler < been had that,

max@sobell.com

civic n00b
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anyone still do flowmaster? i was thinking about getting like 2" flowmaster catback kit but still debating on which intake/headers to get... too much $$$ for me to get all 3 at once.

2000SIR

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only difference between the two is one has mandrel bent piping and the other is just bent normally so there are kinks in the piping and restricts a slight bit more flow then mandrel bent piping. So it would only make you loose out on 1 or 2 hp if you go custom.

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^it depends on what shop does it.. most shop does madrel bent piping..only difference bettween custom and aftermarket exhaust is money..a exhaust is a exhaust..they all make the same power..its the way you want your car to sound..

edhgreatone

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if i could do it all over again i'd go with RSR exmag or do the custom

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well you can go to the muffler shop and get that cheap ass piping they will slap on there which is garbage and if you live anywhere it snows, watch it rust away in a year. not to mention the bends in that piping are horrible. good after market catbacks are made of stainless steal and have mandrel bent pipes. i might just be anal but i'd rather shell out the extra doe for quality stuff.

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a tanabe exhaust (catback). Its nice and mellow. good buy.