Is this "Limp Mode", or something else?

imtools4all

I have been searching online since yesterday, and have not found a definite answer. I have a 2001 Honda civic DX, with 167k miles on it. I was traveling on the interstate yesterday at about 70mph when the car suddenly felt like it downshifted and began to slow down. The gas pedal was unresponsive, so I pulled to the side of the road. The car didn't die, but was idling very rough when I came to a stop. I smelled what smelled a little like burning rubber. When I turned it off, and opened the hood, there was a small amount of smoke coming from beneath the alternator. I had it towed home.

When I start it today, it seems to idle normally, and the belts all seem to be turning fine. I assumed it was probably the alternator yesterday, and didn't expect it to start today at all. I have read a little about "Limp Home Mode", and am wondering if this is what happened yesterday. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this, and if it is something that was triggered by going 70mph. I usually just drive around town (below 50mph).

Any help will be much appreciated. I am just trying to get an idea of the type of repair I am looking at.

Thanks!

willost

A/C compressor?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk