Is yonaka the real deal?

Alec95

Okay so I am trying to deciede between the yonaka catback or the apexi ws 2. I just don't want to pay 700$ for an exhaust because I have more plans for my em1. I am curious if anyone reading this has personally heard the yonaka cat back and is it legit? My setup will be dc headers. Maybe a test pipe and then the yonaka or ws2. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! :D

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've never heard the Yonaka but $700 seems expensive. I have the WS2 and it's great, I think it was only like $450 brand new.

Jose1027

Registered VIP
I have it nd i love it,its real quiet for dd,nd has a nice deep tone at high rpms il try to get a vid up wen i get out of work

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

DuckIt

I have heard the yonaka, sounds good.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've heard that the Yonaka was the knock off of Apexi... :what: Or am I wrong?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've heard that the Yonaka was the knock off of Apexi... :what: Or am I wrong?
Ha, I just looked and it appears that you are right. I didn't know what Yonaka was which is why I only commented about the APEXi. Cheap exhausts usually sound okay at first but the problem is they don't last very long and just get louder and louder and eventually sound like s**t after a year or so.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ might be true but YONAKA makes some pretty good quality stuff

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah I have no idea about Yonaka specifically, I didn't even realize they made an APEXi knockoff. I was just making a general comment about cheap exhaust systems because they seem nice at the time of purchase but then don't hold up well because the inside of the muffler is low-quality. Other than seeing an occasional web banner, I've never really heard much about the company.

Jose1027

Registered VIP
Yeah I have no idea about Yonaka specifically, I didn't even realize they made an APEXi knockoff. I was just making a general comment about cheap exhaust systems because they seem nice at the time of purchase but then don't hold up well because the inside of the muffler is low-quality. Other than seeing an occasional web banner, I've never really heard much about the company.
Thats true wen you buy 170 dollar ebay catbacks,they sound crappy,but like stated above yonaka makes good parts,ive had my catback for almost a year nd i love it

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good to know, i just saw these on ebay for like $349 shipped
They are $249 shipped on the Club Civic store.

Thats true when you buy 170 dollar ebay catbacks, they sound crappy
For $250 shipped, that's pretty much the same price range as a $170 cat-back from eBay.

but like stated above yonaka makes good parts, I've had my catback for almost a year and i love it.
More than likely, Yonaka doesn't even actually make their own exhausts, especially with that price point it's almost a guarantee. You say that you've had your exhaust for almost a year, my point was that less expensive exhaust systems start to go bad quicker. Less than a year isn't really long enough to judge.

I'm not trying to bash Yonaka, I already said that I've barely heard of them. I'm just making the point that in general, exhausts at that price point don't hold up for an extended period of time. I've had multiple exhaust set-ups and my advice is to do it right the first time rather than replacing cheap parts when they go bad prematurely. It's less work and less money in the long run. You should be able to shop around and find a WS2 for less than $700. I haven't looked lately but I got mine for about $450, definitely shop around.

Last edited:

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would always have a custom exhaust made for me rather than buy a brand named one. Know someone with good welding skills and buy some piping and you got yourself a good exhaust. Just buy a nice muffler. The muffler is what others see anyway.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would always have a custom exhaust made for me rather than buy a brand named one. Know someone with good welding skills and buy some piping and you got yourself a good exhaust. Just buy a nice muffler. The muffler is what others see anyway.
this. iv always got my exhaust custom done, on every car iv owned. cheaper, and better imo

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its funny how the WS2 used to be in the $300 price range back when angled N1 style mufflers were more popular. Then when decibel levels started getting cracked down on, the WS2 price slowly crept up. Damn supply and demand.

efedupcivic

I have apexi ws catback on my coupe and my buddy has yonaka on his hatch. Both are really quiet but the main diffrence is the quality welds, piping, placement ect.... not bad for the price though.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the main diffrence is the quality welds, piping, placement ect.... not bad for the price though.
Which is why I wouldn't buy one, welds, piping and placement are not as good.
So the statement, not bad for the price is pointless especially if you need to buy another in a year or so.
That $250 you spent on it, just turned into now something over $500+.

I still am impressed with the cost and quality of TR&D exhausts.
If you want something that bolts up and good quality, you'll need to spend the money.
But, if you have some time, know what you want and know someone or can do the work yourself, you'd be better off with a custom made exhaust.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I really wanted to get a YONAKA exhaust for my Civic, the sound clips on Youtube sound pretty good IMHO.