its getting sloppy

91civicfreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so i realized that my transmision is getting pretty sloppy, and the clutch it not grabbing like it did. anyone have any suggestions on what i should do?

p.s. its in a 91 sedan with a D15b7 in it.

A-2-B

Red+ Blue+ Flashing = Bad
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
buy a new one? salavage from a junk yard.

91civicfreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats what i was looking at, but i wasnt sure if there was a difference with gear ratios in an Si or anything.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats what i was looking at, but i wasnt sure if there was a difference with gear ratios in an Si or anything.
yeah they have different gear ratios but why would you need a better tranny if you have a slow motor? Are yougoing to be doing something to the motor?

91civicfreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
at this moment i dont have the money to to motor upgrades, aka turbo, the only thing that will make it go faster. i was just wondering if it would make a noticable difference.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
at this moment i dont have the money to to motor upgrades, aka turbo, the only thing that will make it go faster. i was just wondering if it would make a noticable difference.
no, not even with a manual tranny would the gains be noticable. It may sound faster tho and that's what alot of people like I guess. :lol:

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol so, basically find what i can? what about the clutch?
Try to adjust it first, and if that does not work, get a new one. One thing to look for when you get in there changing it, is oil in the bell housing. If its there you might want to replace your rear main ant the same time.

91civicfreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well thats a givin, i need to change the throwout bearing too. and the cv's are making noise. it just seems like everything is going to hell all at once.

91civicfreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my question is when it comes to replacing the clutch should i stay oem, or something else?

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my question is when it comes to replacing the clutch should i stay oem, or something else?
yeah, you could do either. You can get a brand new cheap clutch for under $100 bucks at you local auto prats store. If you get a good one it will just last longer, depending on how you treat it tho. ;)

BIGODUB

bigodub
5+ Year Member
cheap= auto parts store brand
mid grade=xtd
good=act, clutch master
but this is just my opinion, i dont know that much abut clutches

A-2-B

Red+ Blue+ Flashing = Bad
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i agree with your opinion. its sounds about right to me.

armorfs

money pit addict
5+ Year Member
ive always dropped exedy stage one cluthes in my cars ...love em...but they run a little hihg if i wer ein your position jus buy a cheap one.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Exedy OEM replacement clutch FTW...

Be sure to resurface the flywheel or replace it.
Replace the Pilot Bearing behind the flywheel
Change the Throwout Bearing
Replace the Clutch Disc, pressure plate and make sure it's alligned properly with the alignment tool...

I'm going to be doing mine sometime soon... It makes a weird noise when the clutch is not pressed in (engaged) and as soon as I press in the clutch (disgage) the noise goes away. I'm thinking that's a symptom of a bad throwout bearing....

I have 202,000 miles on my car and it is still the original clutch; that is enough justification for me to get in there and replace it :lol: