It's that time again...spring cleaning! (on the motor)

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
**UPDATE**

All is well!! I survived a great track day after being out for almost a year, my nitrous setup worked flawlessly with my motor, my new axle hung on like a champ, and my girlfriend even tagged along last night. Good times!

• I've got several racing pics, but they're on my GF's camera so I'll need to go retrieve them before I can upload them
  • I do still have a ground wiring DIY coming soon
  • I have a ton of nitrous install pictures, including wiring, that I will be sharing soon

I do have some track slips, though, that I'm happy to share.

Best run (on 60 wet-shot) was 10.451 seconds @ 71.98 MPH and a .556-second reaction time (1/8th mile track).

Not horrible for the third run in over a year. My reaction time is the worst though; in the past I've had it down to .226 seconds. My best reaction time of the night was .405 seconds, but unfortunately I was beat because my clutch began to slip in 2nd gear. (But I beat him in the 60-ft run though.) =)

Here are the timeslip pictures, arranged first to last runs from left-to-right.

Car number: 2391

First run (winner), against a Mitsubishi Lancer:

Second run (winner), against a decked out grey station wagon featuring a mean-looking set of drag slicks and a bunch of performance stickers (my number was incorrectly entered as "2309" on the ticket):

Third run (winner), against a bright purple Chevrolet Impala with a number of racing decals:

Fourth run (loser), against a large white pickup truck (all I caught was the "V8" factory emblem on the side); I believe it was a Toyota:

The first two runs I was using a 35-shot of wet nitrous; the last two were a 60-shot. On the last run against the pickup truck, I began spraying in 1st gear as usual, shifted to 2nd, began spraying, and felt my clutch slip. As soon as I felt this and saw my RPMs rocketing upwards on my tach, I immediately stopped spraying and backed off on the throttle. The clutch seemed to catch again, and I finished the run out safely, albeit 5-6 car lengths behind the truck.

After that I drove it home and then across town that night and experienced no further clutch-related issues; it drove as smoothly and consistently as it always does.

I'm going to consult the guys down at the local speed shop, but all I can conclude at this point is that my clutch/flywheel is worn down from 10 years of use and can't handle too much power over stock.

Overall the night was a tremendous success and I can't wait to go back again.

More updates to follow, as promised.

And of course, as always, thanks for reading! For every page of my build thread you look at, I'll donate a dollar to my Save VSP's Clutch Fund.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ No worries, I have a few, and they're coming! In the meantime...

**UPDATE**

Here's a couple teaser pictures of my nitrous oxide install writeup, coming soon:

My new like-factory nitrous control panel, including a arm/disarm safety switch, a bottle heater switch, a remote bottle opener switch, and an Autometer nitrous PSI gauge. Also seen is my rugged handbuilt nitrous pushbutton controller:

A gritty close-up of the panel. The red switch is for the bottle heater, the blue switch triggers the remote bottle opener, and they both light up. The PSI gauge is wired to come on with the interior dash lights:

A shot at night, just how I see it at the track:

My bottle, complete with remote opener, bottle heater, control lines, and a nitrous line. The assembly is bolted to the metal seatframe of an old CRX seat, which is in turn bolted to the spare tire tie-down screw hole:

Same shot, a bit farther back:

My track number: 2391

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
**UPDATE**

Okay, you wanted some racing pictures.

I've got just a few for you here. My girlfriend only got pictures of my second and third races--in case you're keeping track with my timeslips a few posts back--but this was still okay with me because I'd never had pictures taken of me at the track. :D

Here's me versus some hideous thing in the far lane. I don't know what it was, but it had some big-ass mean looking racing slicks and a whole bunch of performance stickers on its side.

It got a huge jump on me and it looked like it would kill me for certain. But...I kept spraying away my 35-shot all the way to the end...completely overtook him...and finished ahead. Go nitrous!

My next race was against a purple rally-edition Impala. It's in the close lane and I'm staged in the far lane.

This one wasn't even a challenge. I was spraying my 60-shot at this point; it was before my clutch started to slip, so of course I had the Impala eating my nitrous-y exhaust all the way to the finish.

I had to throw this one in....seriously...drag racing golf carts? Complete with tilt bars in the back? They were damn fast, too. New project? Hmm....maybe I could get my employer [Golf Channel] to sponsor me on this one...

Hope you enjoyed. It seems like I'll have my Friday nights free this fall semester, so you know what that means...drag strip every weekend! Many more good pictures will follow, so stay tuned. Next post will be a write-up on my nitrous wiring install. You'll love it, I almost guarantee it. Almost.