Jack points and Jack stands

jrcoreymv

5+ Year Member
Hey guys,

so ive searched the forums and google trying to find exactly where the best place is to jack up my car, and what type of jack, and then where to position the jack stands for a few days while my wheels get powder coated. i've found a few things, but most have been mixed responses. im sure you guys can help me out with a very direct fool-proof answer since this car is pretty common.

- If i want the car up on all 4 wheels, do i do the front center then rear center, or do i jack each corner individually and slide the stand in?

- If i do each corner, i assume i use the jack points right behind the front wheel and right in front of the back wheels, but where would i put the stands? on the control arms?

- if i do the front then the rear, i assume i use the tow hooks on the front and back. is there any special method for doing this if i were to go this route? for example, do i need to put a 2x4 across the hooks or anything?

i will have 4 jack stands and am borrowing a hydrojack i think from my friend, because i assume the stock jack might not work the best.

oh ya, and im new to this crap. thanks. if anyone is so inclined, pictures would be helpful, but i dont need them unless the answer is really confusing.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
there are jack stand reinforced points on the chassis at all 4 corners of the car, just under the side skirts. they are like a 4" long flat piece of vertical metal. you can jack up the front at the jackpoint located on the subframe just slightly offset towards the drivers side... its a flat spot about 8-10" back from the front bumper on the frame. then you can jack the rear up by the rear tow hook. you need to have 4 jackstands, one on each corner if its going to be sitting there for a while

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Hmm, i always jacked next to the reinforced metal under where the side skirt is to jack then put stand on the metal strip. but yeah put the car on stands on all four jack corners! Don't forget to have the ebrake engaged!

jrcoreymv

5+ Year Member
two things:

if i do the first option of jacking on the "jackpoint located on the subframe just slightly offset towards the drivers side" at the front of the car, how would i get the car high enough for the stand at the front-passenger side? if i use that point, wouldnt the car jack up slightly sideways, since you said it was offset to the drivers side, or does it still pick the car up level to the floor? (basically will the car lift perfectly straight up, or will it left sideways using this jack point?)

second, if i put the stands on those metal strips under the skirts, which is where ive been jacking from, could they possibly bend over a couple days under its own weight, or is it a safe bet?

thanks for the replies guys

2000sicivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
read your owners manual, or just look under the car for the jack positions, they are marked

jrcoreymv

5+ Year Member
Are you serious?
yes, im serious. also, i did read the owners manual, and it just says everything i already knew, which is where to jack up the car from, but that's without using jack stands. if i wanted to change my tire, the manual would have been helpful, but i dont, so it isnt. i want to know where the best place for the stands is, and where the best places are to jack from in order to make it easy to get the stands in those places....i dont need a third degree...i need help (arguably mental as well)

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
u really can't miss the jack points if u actually look under the car, there's 4 of em and they protrude from the chassis by the side skirts

TheRealPeterman

New Civic Fan
5+ Year Member
:word:
there are jack stand reinforced points on the chassis at all 4 corners of the car, just under the side skirts. they are like a 4" long flat piece of vertical metal. you can jack up the front at the jackpoint located on the subframe just slightly offset towards the drivers side... its a flat spot about 8-10" back from the front bumper on the frame. then you can jack the rear up by the rear tow hook. you need to have 4 jackstands, one on each corner if its going to be sitting there for a while

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just put my car on stands today. i used the radiator support and the big beam that connects the LCA together. then put stands on that line. done deal.

jrcoreymv

5+ Year Member
i already did the job today, thanks for the help guys, i ended up going with my original intentions of jacking up from the hook things in the front and back and using the jack metal bar things for the stands, i was just worried they wouldnt be strong enough to hold the car up for close to a week.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
....c'mon it's not a hyundai thats made in korea and weighs 4000lbs.

jrcoreymv

5+ Year Member
thats true, but id rather ask people who have done it before and prevent myself from bending or breaking anything, im sure everyone can agree with that...trial and error isnt my thing.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you jack the front end first then lay a jackstand under the 4 tap thingy where the side skirt is at.

as for the rear you could put jackstand under the subframe if u like.

Dre Da Kid

404 THE ATL
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when i work under the car, i keep check on all four jackstands and make sure its still hold strongly enough. im jus panic thats all lol