Jdm b16a

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i know it can be done. i dont live in cali so its hard for me to tell you exactly what needs to be done but if i remember correctly there was something about swapping to the usdm intake manifold. im sure someone from cali will chime in

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
Does anyone know if it's possible to BAR a JDM B16A with a PR3 ecu in a 88 CRX?
i know they have been very technical towards the jdm engines cuz the air/fule ratio is diff than stock usdm engines. but here is pretty detailed list of what you need in ca. Im doing this in my 96 cx hatch for a b16a2.

you need a engine from a car that is the same year as your car or NEWER can not be older.
you will need EVERYTHING smog wise that the car that your engine came from comes with from the factory.
such as sensors and such I mean you might as well get a charcoal canister from the same year of teh engine also they are very picky.
so if you are putting in a obd1 b16a you will need to convert your car to obd1 and have the b16a ecu from a usdm car that came with a b16 for OBD1.
use factory everything dont even risk getting turned away by having a carb legal intake or exhaust or headers they still can refuse to pass you on visual or not even let you take the smog test.
also no other mods like chipped ecu or fuel rails or FPR's etc be as STOCK as possible.
hmmmm I may be missing something but not sure.

any more question feel free to ask

ah and to add just for making it all easier what I would do is purchase yourself a 88 civic si chassis harness and engine harness.
I personally do not like my wiring harness tweaked with much at all. I had a 89 hatch that I put a gsr engine into and I swapped in a harness from a si and then just made a obd0 to 1 harness it was very easy but I kept getting a ELD code not sure why. everything was good.
depending on how good you are with wiring you might want to just convert your stock harness from DPFI to MPFI they have lots of how to's some better than others.
Im good with wiring but I prefer the swapping out harness process better lol about the same price and one will look better

88CRXdx

i know they have been very technical towards the jdm engines cuz the air/fule ratio is diff than stock usdm engines. but here is pretty detailed list of what you need in ca. Im doing this in my 96 cx hatch for a b16a2.

you need a engine from a car that is the same year as your car or NEWER can not be older.
you will need EVERYTHING smog wise that the car that your engine came from comes with from the factory.
such as sensors and such I mean you might as well get a charcoal canister from the same year of teh engine also they are very picky.
so if you are putting in a obd1 b16a you will need to convert your car to obd1 and have the b16a ecu from a usdm car that came with a b16 for OBD1.
use factory everything dont even risk getting turned away by having a carb legal intake or exhaust or headers they still can refuse to pass you on visual or not even let you take the smog test.
also no other mods like chipped ecu or fuel rails or FPR's etc be as STOCK as possible.
hmmmm I may be missing something but not sure.

any more question feel free to ask

ah and to add just for making it all easier what I would do is purchase yourself a 88 civic si chassis harness and engine harness.
I personally do not like my wiring harness tweaked with much at all. I had a 89 hatch that I put a gsr engine into and I swapped in a harness from a si and then just made a obd0 to 1 harness it was very easy but I kept getting a ELD code not sure why. everything was good.
depending on how good you are with wiring you might want to just convert your stock harness from DPFI to MPFI they have lots of how to's some better than others.
Im good with wiring but I prefer the swapping out harness process better lol about the same price and one will look better
I bought a 91 SI hatch with the swap in it for $700, due to the fact the car has 1/4 panel damage. So everything is there that i need. The swap is all OBD0 same with my CRX.

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
make sure you save any contact details to whoever you bought the car from just in case you go to bar and the engine is hot you know gotta be careful