jdm equivalent for usdn d16y7

jdmjordan11

Hello cc having alot of trouble tracking down a low mileage d16y7 so I started trying to source out another jdm motor online because they always claim low mileage and I have had good use out of my b18b and b18c I have purchased online. Only problem is I can't find any concrete evidence on what the jdm version of a y7 would be, I have read plenty saying that the 96-00 d15b non vtec is but how can this be, with being completely diff displacement? All im wanting to do is find a bone stock unmolested low mileage y7 or equivalent to replace my already turbo y7 set up without having to get it retuned etc. Right away. Just drop in and go..again. So back to the main question if anyone has without a doubt concrete evidence on what the jdm version of y7 is please let me know or direct me somewhere where I can find better info thank you all.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
you think you can just drop in another y7 and not have to get it retuned lol. That's funny. Same motor and all their will still be some differences. Why not put in a d16y8 or hell even a d16z6.

jdmjordan11

Of course I can just drop another y7 but like I said very difficult to find usdm Low Mileage y7 and I would love to have a y8 or z6 but I have chrome tune and slightly inferior system plus don't wanna have to pay 395hr. For retuning with completely diff motor. I'm wanting to try the jdm equivalent cause those do have lower miles. Also don't want yo go the route of rebuilding because it's my dd don't have the down time to spend forgot to mention that.

jdmjordan11

Even if that was is y8 im set up it's considered the same specs and all they are very vague on the sites I have looked at hmotors included

jdmjordan11

I imagine the motor you sent me the link to came stock with y8 intake mani instead of vertical y7 style, question is, is that motor the same spec as d16y7 or close enough because obviously its different than y7 manifold being difference #1

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wait wait wait. Slow down here. Even if its another y7, every motor is going to have different wear etc.. yes it would run on the same tune, but especially with a turbo set up wouldn't it be like 6 trillion times safer to retune? Spend the extra money and don't blow your new motor. Get one you like then tune it. No need to source a d series motor. Just look around craigslist, local forums, etc... you'll find plenty. They are a dime a dozen. Hell I have a friend that picked up 4 for free just the other week. I've seen countless others in good condition go for $50-$100. If its great condition save up and pay the $300 for one locally. They are there, you just gotta look.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wait wait wait. Slow down here. Even if its another y7, every motor is going to have different wear etc.. yes it would run on the same tune, but especially with a turbo set up wouldn't it be like 6 trillion times safer to retune? Spend the extra money and don't blow your new motor. Get one you like then tune it. No need to source a d series motor. Just look around craigslist, local forums, etc... you'll find plenty. They are a dime a dozen. Hell I have a friend that picked up 4 for free just the other week. I've seen countless others in good condition go for $50-$100. If its great condition save up and pay the $300 for one locally. They are there, you just gotta look.
Winner winner chicken dinner

jdmjordan11

You point is completely valid and not ignored if you would go back to the first post from me you would go on to read.... Retuned RIGHT AWAY, caps is not me being a d**k just emphasizing and yes I could easily pick up a d series motor, maybe for free in a dumpster BUT the quality and background of the motor is key. If you understood where I lived with all these ricers you too would sooner smash your head in a door then buy and ragged beaten motor from here lol like I said no being a d**k just giving you some background as to why I don't want just any motor of craigslist

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can buy a craigslist motor and rebuild it with new internals for the same price of sourcing one + shipping.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can buy a craigslist motor and rebuild it with new internals for the same price of sourcing one + shipping.
great idea! Just rebuild the engine.

jdmjordan11

1 if i had time to rebuild and and money to fully build it i would, because to be honest if im going to bother rebuilding it why would i just rebuild it stock? And just not go all out then I'll be building that motor for a couple years lol.
2 zero lift is not all that great and jdm Midwest doesn't have the motor i want, and im unaware of a third but the reasoning zlift is shady is because...
My friend and i just swapped his 98 auto civic to a b20b with gsr 5 spd trans and they gave him d series axles and auto ecu wrong driver side engine mount and wrong side trans bracket and wrong clutch kit. Now for some one who is supposed to be reputable theses are idiotic mistakes that I believe if I was in there shoes definatly would of made any of the bad decisions they did. And this isn't the first time I have heard of them f**king up like this

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1 if i had time to rebuild and and money to fully build it i would, because to be honest if im going to bother rebuilding it why would i just rebuild it stock?
Because

All im wanting to do is find a bone stock unmolested low mileage y7

Do you have a second car?
What is considered low mileage to you? Under 25K, under 50K, Under 75K or under 100K Miles?
You can find what you're looking for, You need search long and beyond, but not beyond the boarders - no need to really.

You can monitor build threads on your favorite Honda forum, Catch someone doing a swap and removing the engine you are looking for. Offer to buy it.

firejackal

5+ Year Member
Nothing wrong with zerolift, it's a good source for parts including front clips, your friend should of paid attention to the parts before buying them.
And your currently over thinking the situation, listen to these people; they have good advice.

1 if i had time to rebuild and and money to fully build it i would, because to be honest if im going to bother rebuilding it why would i just rebuild it stock? And just not go all out then I'll be building that motor for a couple years lol.
2 zero lift is not all that great and jdm Midwest doesn't have the motor i want, and im unaware of a third but the reasoning zlift is shady is because...
My friend and i just swapped his 98 auto civic to a b20b with gsr 5 spd trans and they gave him d series axles and auto ecu wrong driver side engine mount and wrong side trans bracket and wrong clutch kit. Now for some one who is supposed to be reputable theses are idiotic mistakes that I believe if I was in there shoes definatly would of made any of the bad decisions they did. And this isn't the first time I have heard of them f**king up like this

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when did I say rebuild it stock? D series parts arnt that expensive. Hell some performance parts are cheaper than going OEM.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Your probably going to pay over a grand for a low mile d16 after shipping, so what everyone else said just buy one from craigslist and buy some vitaras and forged rods. It will only take a few days to build it and your looking at close to the same price as a stock low mileage motor, the time you save from not shipping a motor is the time you can use to build the block