JDM Liscense Plates

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ok I wanna buy a Liscense plate relocator and a JDM plate. I can get either two kinds. One says EG6 and one says EJ1. I have a 94 coupe Ex is it an EG6 or is that hatch ? Is the EJ1 strictly as USDM terminology for an EG or is that for the coupes ?
EG6s are 5th gen Civic hatchbacks that came with B16A (1.6L DOHC VTEC) engines. They were only available overseas.

True EGs in the US only include some sedans and del Sols. No hatchback or coupe in the US is an EG. They are EJs and EHes.

Your car is an EJ1, which is a 5th gen Civic coupe with a 1.6L SOHC VTEC engine. EJ1s were sold in the US, Canada, Europe, New Zealand and Japan along with other countries. The Japanese model was called the Civic Coupe STD and it came with a D16A.

usdm.ehtu

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Keep the plate off the car man... Were only trying to help out.

x2, whats the point of getting a jap plate? dont wanna come off like an ass, but its a waste of money and pointless. Rock your state plate, a "jdm" plate doesnt make you jdm.....

ryanM

u have a EJ not EG...

on a side note
i dislike those sooo much...just get real plates from japan....those things u are looking at are like a piece plastic with vinyl on em..
you know in japan, license plates are property of the government, having one means that it is stolen, stealing from the government is a federal offense...

franklin-hid

your moms boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you know in japan, license plates are property of the government, having one means that it is stolen, stealing from the government is a federal offense...
not if the plates are over 10 years old n they expire. i researched. japan plates arent property of the government after 10 years. they are consider worthless and would cost most to re-use them then to make a new one. ebay does not allow them to sell plates that are unexpired...

how do we know they are truely "expired"? no way to find out with out calling japans "DMV"...how does the government know u have a stolen plate that u ordered on via ebay? idk. but if they spent alot of time to see if i had a stolen plate from japan, dear god they are something else

94EG_

Boats N' Hoes !!
5+ Year Member
Ok well thanks for all the info on chassis codes on my car. I guess I'm not putting a plate on the car because it will be extremely hard to get a real one. The only reason I liked the look of the plate was I saw a couple of hatch's and a S13 around town that had the plates with the relocator to the right and it looked original to me to have that done to a U.S. car to mimick the JDM ones. I had never seen it done before and I thought it was a good JDM touch, but after hearing from you guys it sounds like its just a cheesy plate and not JDM at all. Anyway thanks.

Got another question, would a test pipe for a 99' Si fit my car ? (the coupe) My friend has a test pipe for his car and says it might fit mine. Also would it make my car run rich or throw a code. He's not using it because when it was on his car it made it run rich.

94EG_

Boats N' Hoes !!
5+ Year Member
Ya I can tell those are real. I think Im gonna leave them off though.

What do you think about the test pipe question I posted last ?

94EG_

Boats N' Hoes !!
5+ Year Member
Ok thanks, I guess I'll just have to get under the car and see if it will fit. I've also seen alot of times where the test pipe makes the exhaust extremely loud and raspy, so Im alittle weary of putting it on. With my Megan drift spec cat-back my exhaust sounds great deep and throaty.