Junkyard vs Shop?

DorseyR

LoS
5+ Year Member
so gotta quickie ques. got the dough saved up for the engine @ the moment but wanna know where ima get the best deal w/reliability & all the necessary swap parts, mounts, harness(possibly a reardisc conv as well) for the job so i can be done wit it in one swoop... sooo Anybody get swaps from junkyards or partyards anywhere near the Los Angeles area or valley? Would it be more legit going through an importing shop? Ive been lookin at jhpusa.com for the engine but think i should hit up a junkyard for cheaper mounts n wutever else i need... Installation as well is gonna have to be paid for cuz i aint got no equipment for any a that @ my place :lol: any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You could get an engine from a junkyard but you don't know if its going to start or if you're going to have any other problems with it. I'd probably go with a shop because I'd imagine that their engines would be a bit more reliable.

HYPHYinMy4DR

5+ Year Member
Buying it from a Junkyard or Dismantler is Legit..

I work at a Porsche Dismantler.. and we test all the engines that comes in.. If its good we sell them, If its not.. we break them down and sell them as parts.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
if you were buying from a junkyard i would only get it if the motor is still in the crashed vehicle and the guage cluster is still in it aswell

as for buying from a shop, they usually sell jdm motors and the mileage is completely unknown however they always claim 30k hahaha BS but they gurantee start up

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
shop bro....that warranty will come in handy if the motor doesn't start.

dizzlesizzle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you could get one at a junkyard for a good price I would do it. Just bring an extra battery and jumper cable so you can jump the starter and do a compression test before you purchase.

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you could get one at a junkyard for a good price I would do it. Just bring an extra battery and jumper cable so you can jump the starter and do a compression test before you purchase.
good idea, i think most junkyards offer a warranty of some sort too. Keep in mind finding a complete/semi complete B or D series motor is very rare. Here in socal, i've never come upon a b16 or a b18c1+. I do see alot of LS motors though.