Just Another Build Thread, My 99' MR EM1

Flopez76

Just some pictures after a 6hr detail which consisted of a wash, clay bar, compound, sealant/glaze, and finally a wax. Was getting ready for a cruise that just passed this Sunday.

Everything bought to prepare for the cruise

Flopez76

It's been awhile, not much has been done since the last update.

Just got on OEM bumper to replace the aftermarket bumper, ordered the valve cover bolts to replace the broken bolts, powdercoated the VC teal, bought a VIS Carbon Fiber hood, plasti dipped my wheels white, and finally bought some red S2000 seats and seat pan swapped them.

Car is pretty dirty in this picture but here's how she sits now. (Also clear coat has gotten worst)

VC, looks different in the sun.

Wheels being plasti-dipped

Blurry picture of passenger seat

Driver seat is a pretty bad tear but for $100, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Seats installed, have the cloth covering the tear haha.

As for the next thing on the list, I really want to go with some coilovers, thinking about going with some F&F Type 1's. And also thinking about getting a red carpet from Stockinteriors.com but not sure which red will match the seats the best. Also looking for a S2000 steering wheel, so if anybody has one for sale let me know! Once again not much done, but nonetheless something was done ha. Will make a post with more details later.

Flopez76

A few updates of where the Civic stands now.

A somewhat pretty picture of the Civic all cleaned up

Finally got ahold of what I've been wanting for oh so long, picked up a set of F&F Type 1 coilovers from a buddy of mine, and of course did what anybody would do when they get a set of coilovers... went as low as possible haha

Before

Comparison of what was on from the previous owner, they rode horrible, I mean HORRIBLE

After, all nice and pretty

Before, rear wheel gap, horrible I know.

After, while it was fun being a raked SI it's nice to finally get the rear down ha

Don't have a picture of how it sits now, but later on I went back and leveled it out all around. And I also slammed it, just to realize that it was just about impossible to even drive down a smooth road haha

Hover car mode, here I was replacing some blown out exhaust hangers.

I really need to go out and take some better pictures, instead of just snapping some in the driveway haha

More carbon fiber, went out and bought a VIS CF trunk. Can never have too much carbon fiber, the install went alright but was just a pain in the ass swapping everything over and then making it sit flush. Also removing the torsion bars was a new and terrifying experience in my life haha. I plan on installing some dampeners to lift it up.

And taking a page from a fellow member: Dale, I've started looking into a skid plate, I have basically everything ready to go, just can't find a U-bolt big enough to go over the ITR header to hold up the back end of the plate. But here's how it'll look.

Also got a Clifford G5 AvantGuard 5.1 alarm installed, comes with all the bells and whistles. Not much to show for that, but I feel a little better at night haha

Well that's just about where the Civic stands now, just looking for a U-bolt big enough to get that skid plate on, and later I'll try to get a picture to show the stance, I think it sits real nice, just got to get a picture to best show it ha. But as for future plans, looking into getting a PLM Toda rep header, so it hugs the oil pan better then the ITR header. Don't know, just see where it goes from here. Also still looking for a good paint shop.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
picked up a set of F&F Type 1 coilovers ... went as low as possible.
Good luck with that. Function and Form doesn't even recommend that you do that. ;)

Flopez76

TIME SLIP TIME! Well I went to the track for the first time ever a couple of days ago, and of course being my first time I did HORRIBLE! Here's the slip for the fastest time of the night. #22 on the left.

As you can tell I did pretty horrible in pretty much everything. Remember I had no ideal what I was doing a majority of the time, I would just line up, hold the rpms at 2000-2500 and just dump the clutch. Needless to say, I read up online and all this jazz to find out that, that's the incorrect way and you're supposed to feather the clutch out? Either way, I could definitely use some pointers from y'all track guys, before I was all show but now after going down the track I want to change that. But I really don't know much, so y'all be the majority of help I can get ha.

So I did some reading online, and decided to find out the base numbers for my car, so I can set a goal and go from there. Instead of just slapping on parts and hoping for the best. Well found out about a car show coming up that was going to have Jorge from H-Car there was his dyno. So I thought why the heck not! And a couple of days later I had my Civic hooked up to the Dynopack. Well here's some pictures from yesterday, just to get them out of the way before we start talking numbers.

1st and best pull, watch it in HQ!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMdklxRYgu8&feature=youtu.be

http://youtu.be/hMdklxRYgu8

Here's the actual print off sheet I got after

So I made 161 hp and 114 tq, from a JDM B18C GSR swap, SRI, Skunk2 IM, ITR 4-1 header, PLM test pipe, and an Apex'i N1 catback. I ran 161 hp from the first pull, but from the 2nd and 3rd ran 152 hp. Now from what Jorge told me, 161 hp was good from what I had and being a GSR motor. He also told me the previous tune was making the motor run lean and that it just sucked, and that it was a bad turn. Now I don't know much but from what I've read from the internet and seen from others dyno sheets is that, that TQ curve looks pretty crazy, and that my I think it's called "powerband" is from 6000 to 7000 rpms which is pretty wimpy? I'm more than likely going to be getting it tuned correctly from Jorge later this week and will again post the numbers from that.

But in the mean time, what can y'all tell me about what the GSR ran? Sound about right? Why would the TQ look like that compared to others?

Now as for a goal, I would like to get 200hp. Achievable I know, but would just like some pointer from y'all. The Civic would be a street/drag. I know I hate that term, but I would like 200hp and at least to be able to run in the high 14's in the 1/4.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your torque looks like that because of the tune. It's not ideal. You'll still end up with a spike in torque at the vtec crossover, but the massive ups and downs below that should be smoother. That power output is about right for a normal gsr, not a jdm gsr though. It's a little low. As far as your track time, you need a lot of seat time, you should be in the low 15s if you learn to hook off the line improving your 60ft and cut your reaction time down.

Your vtec engagement point needs to be changed too, to get rid of that dip at vtec.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You need to use pure carnauba wax over glaze, a cleaner wax has mild abrasives that will cut the glaze off when you do the final buff.

Flopez76

Your torque looks like that because of the tune. It's not ideal. You'll still end up with a spike in torque at the vtec crossover, but the massive ups and downs below that should be smoother. That power output is about right for a normal gsr, not a jdm gsr though. It's a little low. As far as your track time, you need a lot of seat time, you should be in the low 15s if you learn to hook off the line improving your 60ft and cut your reaction time down.

Your vtec engagement point needs to be changed too, to get rid of that dip at vtec.
Thanks CHILD, always good with the info.

Any pointers for hooking off the line? Does it just come down to better tires, and learning how to ease out on the clutch and doing it at the right rpms? I'll try talking to some seasoned vets at the track next time.

You need to use pure carnauba wax over glaze, a cleaner wax has mild abrasives that will cut the glaze off when you do the final buff.
Thanks for the info. I hate detailing though haha