Just bought a 1999 Civic SI

1999EM1

Here's some pics of my car

http://i.imgur.com/x09Fz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PKg1F.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uaNcm.jpg

I just bought a 99 Civic SI.

It was originally Milano Red but the owner painted it Tango Red Pearl because he felt it would be more "elegant."

I don't like either colors myself, but it was a sweet deal. 102,000 miles on the clock, stock SI alloys, b16a2 engine, clean title, and no modifications done whatsoever.

The modifications I have planned:

1.) Mugen front lip, Type R rear lip, and Type R grill

2.) OEM style wing (It currently has the 96-98 low wing)

Then I want to paint the whole thing Flamenco Black Pearl. Maybe new rims?

Any input on other appearance mods? I also want a catback, not sure which one, looking for something under $300.

1999EM1

I need MAJOR advice on the suspension.

So I can get a Function Form Type 1 Full Coilover kit for $630 on eBay and a full (front & rear) Blox camber kit for $230 from weaksauce.

That sounds like a complete suspension setup for $860. What do you guys think about this setup? I just need full coilovers and a camber kit, right?

It says that FF Type 1s don't come with dampening control, what's that?

I don't want uneven tire wear and I don't want something super expensive. I want a 2 inch drop on a 99 SI with no headaches.

Will I be good to go once I throw on these coils and camber kit? I'm a broke college kid and I want that glorious 2" drop without having further problems.

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Thats in interesting color. It might look really nice with a drop and some different wheels. Coilover dampening is when you can change the stiffness of the "shock". Make sure you get an alignment once you get everything installed. If you need some pricing on some other suspension setups let me know.

1999EM1

Thats in interesting color. It might look really nice with a drop and some different wheels. Coilover dampening is when you can change the stiffness of the "shock". Make sure you get an alignment once you get everything installed. If you need some pricing on some other suspension setups let me know.
I do hear the adjective "interesting" a lot when I tell people it's an SI. I would have been satisfied if it was Electron Blue Pearl or Flamenco Black Pearl but I've never liked red on a car.

Can you recommend me any wheels? I think I want to move up to 16s.

Also does the Function Form Coil/Blox Camber sound like a decent suspension setup?

1999EM1

what color is that and what color code? white drag dr16s would look bada$$ IMO.
It's "Tango Red Pearl" like some of the newer Civics. I'm not sure what the color code is, the previous owner got it painted.

I'll look into the drag dr16s. Thanks for the rec.

EKkid

no prob man. imma look for that code. car looks good. the white wheels would really pop on that red

WBJ

Registered VIP
Im not big on that color. I would have kept the original red, silly previous owner.

It's always nice to see unmolested Si's (Ive posted this before).

You cant really go wrong with Volks, Works, or SSR's. All depends on how much you want to spend on wheels. You may be able to find a good deal here or other Honda forums as well for a used set.

1999EM1

Any comments on the Function Form T-1/Blox Camber suspension setup? It should be good right? I've never modded a car before.

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I personally stay away from blox, they have been known to make crappy parts.. i.e. their lower control arms... the only thing I trust from them are their shift knobs lol.

you should look at is the Koni yellow/Ground Control spring combo, i've only heard good things about that setup
http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/product.php?productid=18820&cat=1170&page=1

Also, shave the wing after you lower it it will look SLAMMED:cool: & w/o a wing...and it'll look cleaner imo..

Car looks clean buddy, great find.

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've heard great things about the GC/Koni combo, but it costs about $900 at weaksauce: http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/home.php?cat=1170

and I can get the Function Form Type 1s for $630. I'll scrap the blox camber kit for now. I was just interested in it because it was front AND rear. Not sure what I need tbh.
:word:Well, you gotta pay to play lol.
Function form is still relatively new, the Koni/GC setup has been around for a LONG time w/o complaints.
It's up to you.. I'd personally toss in the extra few bucks for the peace of mind.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I like the color...even though I sometimes agree with this...

It's always nice to see unmolested Si's (Ive posted this before).
Only because I think for a model like this, Honda should have given it a more "exclusive" color, the way they did with the EBP SI. Going with black and red is too common, especially when they used those colors within the 6th gen lineup already.

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I not a big fan of that color either. That is the same kind of wing I have been searching for though. If you decide to get rid of it hmu =)

WBJ

Registered VIP
I like the color...even though I sometimes agree with this...

Only because I think for a model like this, Honda should have given it a more "exclusive" color, the way they did with the EBP SI. Going with black and red is too common, especially when they used those colors within the 6th gen lineup already.
True, it would have been nice. They did the Electron Blue, but then everyone one and their grand parents got one and it became the norm. I remember having to do a double take if I saw an Si that wasnt blue! LOL.

Or at least a different shade of red. VW is good about putting out a special shade of certain colors on GTIs and other higher end models. If only Honda had done the same right?