Just bought my first Honda!

jnewman0910

Respected
As the title states just bought my first Honda and it's a stick shift my first as well any advice tips? What website should I go to for parts I know I need to change my shocks and axels all I know

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Congrats on joining the Civic family & welcome aboard.

As for parts sourcing, it varies... alot. Keep in mind that this forum has a parts store, so check it out. Purchasing from our store helps keep the site open, for what its worth. Anyways, lets stick to your tow mentioned parts.

Struts (not shocks): If you intend to keep the OEM springs and like original ride height, then KYB struts will suffice. Look up the parts numbers and begin to research as that's what many of us will do anyways because, again, there are an immeasurable amount of parts sources just online alone. I suggest you do your homework and also consider lowering your suspension now. We have threads about the many lowering options so get familiarized with our search function. Whatever you do, do NOT waste your money on any no-name equipment on eBay.

Axles: Im not certain but I've read several other members recommend Raxles. I'm sure someone who knows for sure will chime in shortly.

jnewman0910

Respected
Also forgot to mention that this is my first stick shift and I'm learning it as well

dancam

Registered VIP
Advice for learning how to drive a stick shift? : go to an empty parking lot or somewhere not busy. Have the car stopped and idling, clutch down in first gear, foot OFF the gas pedal. Slowly bring the clutch up to where it just starts to engage and then quickly push it back down. The goal is to be able to do that a whole bunch of times in a row, fairly quickly without stalling. What that does is teach you the engaging point of your clutch in the pedal travel so that when your driving you can quickly bring it there and only start applying throttle once the clutch starts to slip, not before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Advice for learning how to drive a stick shift? : go to an empty parking lot or somewhere not busy. Have the car stopped and idling, clutch down in first gear, foot OFF the gas pedal. Slowly bring the clutch up to where it just starts to engage and then quickly push it back down. The goal is to be able to do that a whole bunch of times in a row, fairly quickly without stalling. What that does is teach you the engaging point of your clutch in the pedal travel so that when your driving you can quickly bring it there and only start applying throttle once the clutch starts to slip, not before.
Also practice reverse parking, reverse driving and zig-zagging in large loops while shifting. Itll help get you use to the constant coordination needed when not just driving straight.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Welcome to the Honda game! Everyone so far has given great advice so I guess the only extra input is to make sure when you replace or upgrade something, to do it right THE FIRST TIME. I tell you from experience, lots of times cheaper parts give you short therm happiness but long time pain lmao. Make sure to always do oil changes regularly, and keep the maintenance up so that you extend the life of your car.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also forgot to mention that this is my first stick shift and I'm learning it as well
You already told us that...

I know I need to change my shocks and axels all I know
Why?

BEFORE YOU DO ANY MODIFICATIONS & since you may not know much about the car, get it running as best as possible in its current stage. A basic tune-up is in order.
Replace:
-Distributor cap and rotor
-Spark plugs & wires
-All filters (air, fuel, oil)

Fix anything broken, replace and maintain EVERYTHING as much as possible, spark plugs, brakes, bushings, belts, bearings, ball joints, & fluids. Replacing what needs to be maintained gives you a certain point of reference of what exactly has now been done and shouldn't have to be worried about for a while, instead of guessing or waiting for something to break unexpectedly. It also gets you to know and understand various parts of the car, knowledge that will help you for the rest of your life.

Get used to the way it drives, the way it handles, the way it performs... after you get used to it, then go for something bigger, IE; engine swap, rebuild, turbo, etc.
Be patient and start reading, searching, planning and saving for whatever project you come up with. Don't cut corners or cheap out. Most importantly, there is a lot of false information running around on the World wide web, be careful and do lots of searches to compare answers.

Do not fall into the "well if I'm replacing it, i might as well 'upgrade' it"mentality. This could be a waste of money, until you figure out what you want to do EXACTLY with your car. In MOST cases there is nothing wrong with OEM/stock, so stick to stock replacement parts.

For example, don't just get an ACT performance clutch kit because you're replacing the clutch. It's unnecessary, a waste of money, and will make driving a less comfortable experience. There's no reason to just "upgrade" your brakes to DA Integra front knuckles and rear discs as the stock set up is fine for street driving.

Things recommended for upgrading while replacing worn out parts are:
-Shocks (not including springs, OE springs work fine.
-Tires
-K&N drop in filter

anv2tk

Respected
Just wanted to give my :twocents: since your pictures brought back some flashbacks for me :lol: (my first Honda was the exact one you bought). PLEASE plan ahead and don't let anyone influence you into upgrading or modifying your car before you do what Mr. Baker said. Get to know your car, do some thorough maintenance, and get to know its behavior as you experience your first taste of freedom (learning to drive a manual).

When I had my first 6th gen civic, first thing I did was throw in a cold air FILTER, not even and intake, deleted my catalytic converter (no emissions in Florida), and lowered the car on some ebay coil overs from a 2 gen integra. All this before I know how to change my own oil! I wish I had people advising me the way we are advising you right now.

So welcome to "Honda nation", don't be a ricer (ha ha), and let us know what your plans are for the car when you figure it out!

:thumbs up

jnewman0910

Respected
Yeah guess I didn't exactly explain anything sorry about that... I have my brother in law that has guided me and is helping as well just seeking extra advice I guess

He has owned several Honda's and Acura's he had learned the basics and learned some modding had drove it and looked at it just seeking some extra advice

jnewman0910

Respected
And yeah don't plan on putting any mods anytime soon not until I learn the basics of the car more only plan on doing the basic needs

I changed the spark plugs
Changed the oil air and fuel filter got a basic inspection as well

Last edited:

sjonesd3

Lol welcome to the Civic & stick family. I got my first of both last July. My best advice is to not be nervous of stalling. When it does happen just cut it right back & go. 1st time I did it in an intersection I almost had a heart attack. I 2nd what @HeX said, practice zigzagging it'll definitely help with the constant shifting esp if you live in a busy area.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

sjonesd3

Ohh and if you have a trunk leak don't sweat it. Mine had one at 1st before I figured out how to fix it

jnewman0910

Respected
1. What do you want from the car, goals?
2. What do you have to spend, realistically? That will dictate more or less the direction you go with the car.
Haven't thought that fat ahead. Just have it in my head to take care of all the basics so that way I know I'm set with that and then get comfortable with driving competely before I try mods such as lowering it and intake kits

jnewman0910

Respected
Lol welcome to the Civic & stick family. I got my first of both last July. My best advice is to not be nervous of stalling. When it does happen just cut it right back & go. 1st time I did it in an intersection I almost had a heart attack. I 2nd what @HeX said, practice zigzagging it'll definitely help with the constant shifting esp if you live in a busy area.

Yeah I definitely got nervous when the car would keep stalling on me I've gotten better at brushing it off and getting right back into it and that's a terrible time to cut off I would have freaked out

sjonesd3

Yeah I definitely got nervous when the car would keep stalling on me I've gotten better at brushing it off and getting right back into it and that's a terrible time to cut off I would have freaked out

[emoji23][emoji23] I don't know how I got it home either. I stalled once trying to show my mom I could drive it. Best way I learned to practice was going out very late when no cars are out & cruise especially where stop lights are. Then my cousin & stepdad helped me improve my shifting (was shifting wayyy too quick)

jnewman0910

Respected
That's what i seemed to grab from everyone I've talked to at work that having a teacher helps but the best thing to do is go out yourself and drive around like you had said when it's late or there's hardly any cars around practice around stop lights and what not

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How many miles on the car?
Has it ever had the clutch replace and timing belt/water pump?