Just put on 225/45 r17 tires- am I out of luck?

OregonSedan

I know, they're a bit big, and they do rub a bit fore and aft. Sharp turns, some bumps, bumps in turns, anything resembling hoonage, they rub. A lot of people on this forum seem to abhor the idea of higher than stock ride height, but I'm interested in some mods to fix the rubbing. Maybe a little fender cut (not sure where yet) and a small tweak with spacers, coilovers, or accord springs to lift it up an inch or two? Has anyone done some of these mods? Anyone running 17s this big with success? I'd love some help, thanks!

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Well for one, what width wheel are you running? How about offset? These are also things that may help. Also, I dont see how using a wheel spacer is going to help solve your problem with rubbing tires. Look into rolling your fenders.

Pictures would help too.

civic0918

Registered VIP
raise?

why dont you get a smaller tire? for example 205/40/17's work fine with a 2 inch drop. Thats if you want wheels that big. If you raise your car even higher than stock height it will look silly. Honda's are not ment to be raised but if thats what you wanna do go for it and good luck I hope it all works out for you. This is the only civic i ever seen go up and not down. looks like this guy even put a lip on i cant really tell.

gebs06

Klub EJ
Registered VIP
I'm running 17's but w/ 205/40/17 and a 1.5" drop from Ksport Kontrol Pros. Get little scraping here and there but no biggie. Yeah you sorta went out of the Honda world with tires that big. If u want to drop it you're def gonna need to do some fender rolling......

OregonSedan

By spacers, I meant shock absorber spacers for a cheap small lift. I could look for other tires, but I figured that if 205s work with a 2 inch drop, then how much work could it be for 225s and stock height to work? Ha ha, maybe quite a bit. These tires are in good shape, came off a 1994 integra, and I don't have a lot of $ to throw at this. Plus I like the idea of riding a tiny bit higher, so the bigger tires fit the bill that way, If I can find a reasonable way to get the car out of their way. Anyone know if Accord springs bolt right on, or if I need to make some mods to get them to fit? Thanks

I don't know the width of the rim, I can measure tomorrow in the daylight. Stock camber, as far as i know.

diemf50

yea i jut had some 17inch drags on mine, dropped 2, and it rubbed and got annoying to me. if u had rolled the fender i wouldve been fine... but i just put some 15 ep3's with it slammed and it looks good. so yea if u roll the fenders u should be good.

civic0918

Registered VIP
pic

I hate to tell you, but that picture is chopped.
what does chopped mean? I found this one pic online to make a point and that was civic's look silly raised up. I agree 17's look good with a good drop. Just rides rough as hell lol.