K-series ground clearance question.

Goodmayn

5+ Year Member
For all you K-powered EK owners, I've got a little question for you. I plan on goin K with my EK, but I've read that the oil pan sits lower than my current B16. Since I plan on still using this car as my DD, I'm a little concerned with ground clearance. I suppose I could always raise the car up, but I really hate the way fender gap looks.

I read something about using an EG crossmember and some other EG parts that will allow the motor to be mounted 2 inches further back and ultimately higher since the hood is higher, but I can't seem to find that article again. Anyway, just looking for some RL experiences of you K series owners. =)

Thanks in advance,
Brad

chinkyeyedemcee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
For all you K-powered EK owners, I've got a little question for you. I plan on goin K with my EK, but I've read that the oil pan sits lower than my current B16. Since I plan on still using this car as my DD, I'm a little concerned with ground clearance. I suppose I could always raise the car up, but I really hate the way fender gap looks.

I read something about using an EG crossmember and some other EG parts that will allow the motor to be mounted 2 inches further back and ultimately higher since the hood is higher, but I can't seem to find that article again. Anyway, just looking for some RL experiences of you K series owners. =)

Thanks in advance,
Brad
yes k sits lower. u need eg cross member either way to do the swap the right way period. hasport came out with new mounts. ones that sit low, and one that sits the motor higher up. higher mounts require spacers/washers to raise the hood, lower ones can't dump ur car cause pan is to low.

pics of car height

better off on a diff board asking questions like this where u can get more help just my opinion

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes k sits lower. u need eg cross member either way to do the swap the right way period. hasport came out with new mounts. ones that sit low, and one that sits the motor higher up. higher mounts require spacers/washers to raise the hood, lower ones can't dump ur car cause pan is to low.

pics of car height

better off on a diff board asking questions like this where u can get more help just my opinion
Please do not spread misinformation.

There are 2 kits available from Hasport to do the k swap into a 96-00.

EKK1

This kit basically allows u to buy a k swap and drop it str8 in without changing anything out other than ur existing mount bracket. Mount brackets need to be changed no matter which mount kit u use. This is the original kit that was out and there are many many people running them with no issues, myself included.

EKK2

This kit was released later on that essentially make the front end (under hood) of a 96-00 the same as that of eg/dc. What this does is it picks ur motor up and back. However, to use this kit u need to swap in a eg/dc crossmember, steering rack, front lca's, and shock forks. You can't mismatch crossmember and rack meaning if one is power the other needs to be power as well.

You see, the ekk1 uses the ek cross member hence the motor placement is a little front and lower, whereas the ekk2 using the eg/dc crossmember which allows the placement to be farther back and higher.

There are certain radiators that will not fit with the ekk1's whereas there r certain strut bars that will not fit with ekk2's. Boost guys prefer ekk1's as it leaves ample space on the exhaust side for them to work with. The axles r a bit angled on the ekk1's moreso than on ekk2's but some say ekk2's place the motor right on top of the wheels so to say.

For more information u can log onto www.k20a.org

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ cool stuff i didnt know about.

Goodmayn

5+ Year Member
Thanks man, that was extrememly helpful. I guess I'll really just need to decide if I plan on boosting or not, or if I'm gonna have to ball on a budget. After I get all my homework done and make a decision on which way to roll, I'll start piecing everything together and do it all in one fell swoop.

From what I'm projecting it will be Christmas time when I decide to get everything situated and in. =)

Thanks again mang!