K swap

Fox

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My friend has a 2002 si & he wants to buy a wrecked RSX so he can swap the engines.
My girlfriend has a 2002 4 dr civic lx. I am thinking about buying his old engine when he does. Has anybody done this engine swap yet?

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yep, go look on 7thgencivic.com man. like 20+ people have done it. But they have paid way over 5g's to get it all done, but im sure you can get it done ceaper if hes selling you the engine for less then 3g's

if he sells you the engine how about i get the si seats if he gets the rsx one

Fox

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
will see. But I think he likes the si owns better.

EXestent'l

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HEY My pal knows some guy in Cali who did a 01 Ex engine swap with a K20a2... but he needed like a 2001+ si radiator and other parts... he can get it all for 3800. I plan on buying a complete conversion over the summer and payin for an install somewhere... look for my post about the k20a2 swap, cuz i got some q's for the civic minded...

mistaaxmike

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my friend is doin one right now $10k for everything but he's also getting alllllot of accessories w/it such as rims, lips, etc. i'll post when finished

EXestent'l

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No really tho... if ne one knows what 2 do... i got some main q's..
1) How well could a k20a2 or k20a swap into a 7th gen non si (ex)
2) Costs, problems, and neccessary upgrades, like suspension
3) What is most everything you would need? Could you buy the engine or a swap kit and it would work, or would you have to reqork the tranny, etc.
any other info would help

EXestent'l

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well dont worry i will get it done whatever the costs man itll just take longer... ill read up... if worst comes to worse ill upgrade to 2002 si engine or something... but DOHC power plus turbo spools so much more hp...

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by EXestent'l
No really tho... if ne one knows what 2 do... i got some main q's..
1) How well could a k20a2 or k20a swap into a 7th gen non si (ex)
2) Costs, problems, and neccessary upgrades, like suspension
3) What is most everything you would need? Could you buy the engine or a swap kit and it would work, or would you have to reqork the tranny, etc.
any other info would help
1) If you haven't noticed, the DC5 chassis is based on the Civic chassis. They're virtually the same. According to Hasport, the EP3 chassis ... although looks smaller than the ES1/EM2, is closer in design to the Civics but to say the least, the K-blocks were made to fit in 7th Generation Civics.

2) Costs vary for the engine ($2,000-$5,800 depending on engine). Keep in mind it will come with the tranny in most cases. Finding a private seller yields usually the better prices, and installation of an engine overhaul can run you back $1,000 - $2,000. The most difficult thing about the swap is THE WIRING. Plain and simple, wiring the new engines is a lot more complex than it was before. I don't recommend someone DIYs this unless they have the chart and know what they're doing. Someone on 7thGen.com has been wiring their engine in their car for over 8 months.

3) Necessary upgrades (other than new motor mounts and the ECU) consist of many things varying from the front axles (GS-R, EP3 for 4-lugged cars/ DC5 if you want to go 5-lug. Don't forget the hubs). You'll need an EP3 radiator, too. (A popular part that likes to be backordered these days. Gee, I wonder why.) There are other things but I can't remember right now. Your suspension can remain the same but having the DC5 front axles opens up a few more suspension options (I.e. Zeal V6). You'll have to relocate your battery, too.

dj02

u member? u memmmber
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
here are some pics of my freinds k20 swap, it's the si motor. and just so u know b4 u go spend a huge amount on motor mounts u can use the stock ones. look at the pic and u can see the stock motor mounts. but ur bigest hassle will be the wireing.
ENJOY...

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I forgot to mention... there's some country in Asia that sells Civics with K20s in them. (I believe they are A3s). Thailand, I think.

EXestent'l

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WELL Im not gonna do that.... but thanks... im really a noob when it comes to cars but i wanna start out right before i really start moddin... my engine sucks baseline hp and torque (well in k20 as well but whatever...) ne wayz... i plan on buyin EVERYTHING AT ONCE in order to make the K20a2 (RSX-S) Engine work in my car and having it installed, which i definitely dont mind doing... if ne one knows a place in cali or somewhere i can get all parts and have it installed id appreciate... id drive my car out and do it... well if it comes with tranny ill definately have a 6 speed biotch demon civ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm rice done right

d17VTEC

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
aside from the engine, tranny, axels and si/rsx radiator, youll need mounts; hasport makes a good kit for the swap. they are well respected in the field, and too my knowledge, were the first to put the k20 into a civic. they are located in tempe arizona, right down the street from Arizona State Uni.

dj02

u member? u memmmber
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by d17VTEC
aside from the engine, tranny, axels and si/rsx radiator, youll need mounts; hasport makes a good kit for the swap. they are well respected in the field, and too my knowledge, were the first to put the k20 into a civic. they are located in tempe arizona, right down the street from Arizona State Uni.
once again no u dont NEED the hasport motor mount's, u can use the stock k20 ones. u dont belive me look at the pics i posted, and u can see my freinds used stock motor mounts on his swap into his em2

SlammedBlueEM2

Brunettes > Blondes
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, you can use the engine's original motor mounts. Hasport is just optional insurance.