K20 or B20/b16 hybrid help!!!!

ricerboy140

EK Jake
5+ Year Member
hey guys i was so set on doing the K swap on my civic but my funds run a little low. i need help deciding whether i should say screw it and take out a loan for the money need or go with the B20 CRV-TEC with a built B16 head. i donk know what to do please help thanks a lot.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well i cant say which you should do, but if you decide on a crvtec you better build the block before the head

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just like billy said, after that, you should be able to walk K's if its done right.. And a good tune!

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
does your car run well? if so, you would seriously take out a loan to mod your perfectly good car just so you can post on here and fit in with the people who have super nice cars?

Doesn't sound very wise but hey who am I to say what should and should not be done.....

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wow i don't know about getting a loan just to do a k-swap, stick with a b-series motor man

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
yea b20 is cheaper. swap wise and parts wise in case something breaks lol but a b16 head is gonna run around 400 bucks at least they do here. everyone wants them. and yea you gotta build up the motor so who knows. the cheapest k series i came across that included everything, motor, axles, hubs, tranny and computer for 2500 but someone bought that the same or next day it was for sale

ku_yugioh

5+ Year Member
Why not just do a H22 or H2B swap? Would it be cheaper then doing a B20 swap? H22 swaps are as fast as k20 from what I seen. I seen my friends H22 eg coupe blow past by evo and sti like they were standing still. All he had was USDM H22, Solid motor mounts, Stage 5 Clutch with flywheel, Ebay intake, header, cat, 3inch exhaust, Fuel Pressue reg, and a p28 chip ecu and man is that s**t fast. Take off like there is no tomorrow.lol.

mixwell

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why not just do a H22 or H2B swap? Would it be cheaper then doing a B20 swap? H22 swaps are as fast as k20 from what I seen. I seen my friends H22 eg coupe blow past by evo and sti like they were standing still. All he had was USDM H22, Solid motor mounts, Stage 5 Clutch with flywheel, Ebay intake, header, cat, 3inch exhaust, Fuel Pressue reg, and a p28 chip ecu and man is that s**t fast. Take off like there is no tomorrow.lol.
because even after all that, the k swap will still respond to mods better.

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
debt is now a normal part of life, don't get used to it man, if you want it that bad be smart and save or build something that is within reach

Zzyzxek

5+ Year Member
a b20vtec can yield 180hp just with the dohc vtec head and the stock b20 block. but yeah building the bottom end would give you alot more and would be worth it to do for sure. i love b20vtec's my buddy has one in is 93' hatch and he runs low 13s on 1/4 mile its built tho. 400 bucks for the head 500 for the b20 and another 200 for the conversion parts. b20vtec is a good way to go.

ricerboy140

EK Jake
5+ Year Member
well, all that convinced me to not go k-series. debt is not my thing these days... but if i do go either b20 or h22 which would be a better boost motor. nothing too crazy just being safe at 20psi and below??

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Don't mean to be an ass about it, but do your research. If you have to ask, I don't think you should get into all this but hey, that's just my :twocents:

There is an ABUNDANCE of threads about this.

ricerboy140

EK Jake
5+ Year Member
ok well i looked up on it a little more and i seen that the h22a and the b18c both caught my attention but i want to eventually boost so which one would be better in a build??

ku_yugioh

5+ Year Member
I think the H22 Swap would be less work but if you boosting anyway you gonna have to do internal work either way.
The H22 would be better because of lower compression and bigger liter. But this is what I think unless someone have a different thought.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The H22 would be better because of lower compression and bigger liter.
Lower compression is not necessarily better for boost.

I say, if you're planning on boost anyway, you might as well take that money you were gonna spend on the swap and build your D. Then run a high boost and you'll be making lots of power for much less.

ricerboy140

EK Jake
5+ Year Member
H22A or turbo D16Y8???

ok well i did a little more research on these motors and i really dont want to take out a loan just for a motor... so idk if i want to go h-series or just build my motor i have now. it runs really good burns almost no oil and has about 120000 on it. i know which one would be cheaper but i want to know which one would be more worth it in the long run???

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First, ask yourself this: Why do you want to boost?

If it's for the sake of having bragging rights to be able to say you have a turbo'd car, than just build your d-series. Boosted d's are really fun to drive anyways. and it's much cheaper than doing a swap (especially a k swap) and still fun. That way, you could spend the money you have "leftover" for other things/mods.