K20 or Nothing?

Nizzik

With K20's being the new in motors nowadays, Does that make every other engine less reputable now?

I was just wondering because, people seem to be "WoW!'ed" more by seeing a K-swapped car then any b-series or even sohc.

I know people tend to have they're favorites and all, but in this time of K's do "WE" people who still roll B's , H's and Sohc's still get a chance to be proud our our engines?

Reason being is... I'm trying to get my car ready for the seasonal local meets and it seems I'm one of the only people who will be there that has a Sohc... & just feel kinda intimidated by the amount of people that will be rolling with K's under they're hoods...Specially seeing as how much people talk about K's & how amazing they are.

LMK your take & opinions? this will be my first meets of the year & really would like to make a good impression.
Not just the guy with the Clean ride but shitty bay.

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
be proud of what you got. If its clean, runs well, and looks good nobody can complain. K's are overrated imo. Im all for the sohc since the parts are easier to come by and theyre the "underdog" which can actually make alot of power. if your that worried just dont pop your hood :lol:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think the "wow" factor is because it is fairly new. B and D series swaps have been done in every way for many years now. Everyone has seen it and it is pretty cheap to do considering. The "wow" factor for the B and D swaps went out the window a long time ago, it seems.

Modest Throttle

Registered VIP
From what I hear, K swaps are pretty difficult due to cramped space under the hood. Combine that with the hefty price tag and the new technology they bring to the table, and you've got your answer for why people are hyped on them. And like lethal6 said, B and D swaps are old news, they've come and gone. K swaps are on the rise because they're new and exciting and haven't already been done by millions.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
"wow" them with a turbo singlecam that lays the smack down on k cars :thumbup:

Nizzik

"wow" them with a turbo singlecam that lays the smack down on k cars :thumbup:
Haha, to do that though, I would probably have to invest more money in the D then just getting a full k swap no?

I'm looking to just go with a B20 instead of even thinking of going K20.

reg_lus

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Be proud of you D series man. I just went to a car show today and there's ton of them civic's with their single cam including me. Yeah, I saw only one ej with a H22 swap and at least 15 other civic with B Series...No K20's....I'm proud of mine!

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Haha, to do that though, I would probably have to invest more money in the D then just getting a full k swap no?

I'm looking to just go with a B20 instead of even thinking of going K20.
you obviously need to do some research

ixF

5+ Year Member
i personal own a b series(b20b4) civic n i'm proud of it even though its not fast. i am also currently working on a k24a4 swap in 96 civic hatch slowly piecing it together. The parts needed to swap it in my car is costing me like 2.5k not including the cost for the motor itself. You can get a decent turbo setup for 2.5k and get the WOW factor u want. B20Turbo >k series.

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
KseriesTURBO>BseriesTurbo!

I think people are mostly wow'd because it's money. K's aren't nearly as cheap as SOHC or B series. Like said above, if it runs well and is clean then you should be proud. K's just offer a better power - weight ratio, and better midrange power when compared to other NA engines. You can probably get similar PEAK power from a B (probably not a D) with boltons and still spend less than a K, but you won't have the drivability IMO.

That said, I miss my SOHC-turbo car. Better mileage, faster top speed (not even close to comparable around town, the K is way better), thus cheaper to operate. . . but made up for it with increased frequency of oil changes. I hope to have another EG someday and I'd happily make it a SOHC turbo.
B

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You could EASILY build a fast turbo D on a budget less than that required to swap in a K series...