K20 swap

KingJiggar

5+ Year Member
I'm being constantly advised against getting a k20 swap for my 03 ex. Jealousy seems to be the greatest reason why, but someone told me that after 6 months with a k20, i would have to do intense body work. Is this true? And if it is, what kind of work/how expensive?

BlownGasket

Civic From Hell
5+ Year Member
i couldnt imagine what kind of body work ypou would have to do. they were probably saying they would give you six months befor e you get in a wreck. cuz you wouldnt be able to handel the horse power. i've had people say that to me before about me getting a chevelle. its f**kin bullshit. dont worry about them. get the swap. try for the a3

KingJiggar

5+ Year Member
i couldnt imagine what kind of body work ypou would have to do. they were probably saying they would give you six months befor e you get in a wreck. cuz you wouldnt be able to handel the horse power. i've had people say that to me before about me getting a chevelle. its f**kin bullshit. dont worry about them. get the swap. try for the a3
Yeah, the a3 is at the top of my list. Way expensive though :word:

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know why the A3 would be on the top of your list.

I also don't know why you would hang out with people that are dumb enough to say that you'll need body work.

raz18

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
IMO it wont drive the same, it would seem all the extra weight in th front of the vehicle would seriously effect the handling. plus there will be some bad traction issues if you plan on moddin that later down the road.

When I had my del sol i was close to getting the H22 swap but voted against it due to the handling being jacked! even better.. it got jacked about 2 months later, so i wasnt AS pissed lol

as far as body dmg..yeah you will have major body dmg is you upgrade to the A3, have stock brake system and cant stop.. lol

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah i dont know why you would want an a3. they are the base motor, you want a a2, the type -s motor....or maybe im wrong, maybe you want a slow K...

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
IMO it wont drive the same, it would seem all the extra weight in th front of the vehicle would seriously effect the handling. plus there will be some bad traction issues if you plan on moddin that later down the road.

When I had my del sol i was close to getting the H22 swap but voted against it due to the handling being jacked! even better.. it got jacked about 2 months later, so i wasnt AS pissed lol

as far as body dmg..yeah you will have major body dmg is you upgrade to the A3, have stock brake system and cant stop.. lol
Don't give advice unless you know what you're talking about.

yeah i dont know why you would want an a3. they are the base motor, you want a a2, the type -s motor....or maybe im wrong, maybe you want a slow K...
That slow K is still faster than a B16.

Donkiebutt

5+ Year Member
:D
I'm being constantly advised against getting a k20 swap for my 03 ex. Jealousy seems to be the greatest reason why, but someone told me that after 6 months with a k20, i would have to do intense body work. Is this true? And if it is, what kind of work/how expensive?
i own myself a o3 CiViC andi now a guy that has a integra type R and him what kind of swap i should get he said k20 fo sure.. with turbo ... so im really thinking ofit and plus i say if your going to get it just make sure who ever builds it for you knows what his doing.... butyeah thats a grate swap

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
research dude, sounds like people are telling you what you should and shouldn't swap. find somebody that actually has the swap you want and pick their brain. google is your friend.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
That slow K is still faster than a B16.
oh yeah?

K20A3 2.0L 16V DOHC i-VTEC PGM-FI
'01-'03 RSX USDM 160@6600 132@5000 9.8:1

B16A 1.6L 16V DOHC VTEC PGM-FI
'92-'95 Civic SiR/SiR II JDM 168@7800 116@7300 10.4:1

so my b16 is slower than a base rsx motor? dont think so...

andrew256

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh yeah?

Probably. k20 has a much wider powerband.

jason.az1

Jasonaz1-Motorsports
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Well I was driving Phills em2(K24) 212 or so whp I think.. or around there anyways
Handling felt the same if not better.
Traction tho was great driving normal
but when I was having fun tires would spin easy but at the same time I was flooring it and
he has bad tires almost slicks. so with good tires and if I drove the car more often
and learn to drive it. etc.. shift points and where to launch it
I wouldnt have the problems with the tires getting loose but
taking turns and driving normal felt better then my car.

Also once Im done with my swap Ill let you drive it and you can judge.....
:D :D :D :D :D

Also if you do a A3 boost it
a A3 swap is cheap and Boosting it can be too if done right and you look for deals etc......
I've been told K motors love boost and a boosted a3 will be fun..

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
k24 block and a type s head and your set...frankenstein ftw

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
oh yeah?

you are also comparing usdm to jdm
go jdm to jdm and see who wins.......................

EMIIspecED

TEAM OCELOT rep.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
k20 intermediate shaft $220
Axles from 02+ si $100
RSX Subframe $600-150
Hasport Mounts $400
Shifter Assembly $100
Shifter Cables 300
02+ si radiator. i used the rsx radiator 150
fans 30
02+ si upper radiator hose 13
02+ si lower radiator hose 11
RSX Throttle cable 40
RSX Fuel Line 45
RSX Brake booster line 45
RSX Purge Line 40
02+ si ac line from compressor to condensor 100
RSX Clutch Line From slave to master 20
RSX high pressure power steering hose 240
RSX Power steering return line 50
92-95 Civic Power steering resevoir with bracket 50

Price without swap $2554-$2104

i hope that's helps answer your question, if you're on a budget and you want power, boost is the way to go, don't get me wrong every time i see a picture or youtube video of a em2 with a k20 in it, i wet my pants. The prices above the are the things you need, the amount it will cost, roughly without the engine, transmission, ecu,alternator, clutch, flywheel, starter, intake manifold, fuel rail, injectors, coils and engine harnesses. here's the price of the rest of the parts you'll need without the engine and transmission.

ECU 200-350
K20 Alternator 100
Clutch 60-100
Flywheel 150-200
Starter 74-100
Intake Manifold 100-200
Exhaust Manifold 50-250
Fuel Rail 100-300
Injectors 350
Coils 50-200
Engine Harness 450

Price without engine and transmission 1634-2600

EMIIspecED

TEAM OCELOT rep.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
by the way i totally would love a swap it seems more like a build that a person can buy parts for their swap even when they're broke... which is weird because a good k20 swap costs alot of money... i think that's called irony