K20 swap

stoney13

5+ Year Member
So I was looking into upgrading all the internals when I order the K20a so I can put a big turbo on later and have a motor that can handle all the boost.

I was looking at Blueprint Racing (and many other companies) and they have upgrades for everything. I dont want to sleeve it or bore anything out. I just want all the stock internals replaced before it goes in cause I dont want to have to take the motor back out after it goes in. Plus I dont want to destroy the inside of the motor b/c of the turbo.

I've been reading a lot of threads and a lot of people have kept the motor stock and just run boost on it and they have said they make 400-550hp and the motor is fine. Most people have said that they are planning on replacing the rods cause they go out first. Also they have said that their car is used as a DD as well.

So is it pointless to upgrade all the internals then boost or just go stock and then boost? Obviously better cams and such will yeild more hp, but I keep hearing good numbers on stock cams and s**t so if anyone has any input, it could save me money in the end.

I want to make it a DD as well, so I want to keep as many mpg's as possible and then be able to get on it when I want.

Renzo21

Nice Bowl of D17 Soup...
5+ Year Member
Dude, if you got the money to spend on it, get the internals. Just think how much better you would feel knowing you have a car actually meant to handle a s**t ton of boost. I don't think it's completely necesary but, look into lower compression pistons, definately rods, rod bearing, rocker arms. Anything that will be stressed by the forced induction of the turbo. Lower compression pistons will help a lot.

Go here: http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-70_87/product-597/index.html

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It really depends on the size of the turbo and how much boost you are running. If you are piecing together a little junkyard or ebay kit with a small turbo on 7psi, dont worry about internals and just get a tune. Bigger turbo and you plan to knock the boost up to 12psi say to take it to the track, you will want internals. And your gas mileage shouldnt be affected much as long as you shift at or before 3k-ish when driving on the street.

Tune is essential. Get one no matter what.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you're looking for a boost build, why use a K20A if you're just going to swap out the internals?
Save the money, and look at an a2.

Then, again, you could source a K24 for half of the a2 (which is usually half of an A) and swap out some of those parts and boost that one instead.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Then, again, you could source a K24 for half of the a2 (which is usually half of an A) and swap out some of those parts and boost that one instead.
x2

No replacement for displacement.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you're looking for a boost build, why use a K20A if you're just going to swap out the internals?
Save the money, and look at an a2.

dingdingding we have a winnar.

K24A4 longblock is under a grand now from Hmotorsonline. Keep the pistons but replace the rods if you're scurred, these blocks are pretty stout. Also, get the 5-speed tranny from the base rsx, it's much better for boost applications since it has wider gearing.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you want advice and opinions on the actual motors, you should be posting on a site that'll be specific on it.

www.clubrsx.com
www.k20a.org

Alot of people are running stock motor applications with big turbos just fine. I know alot of RSX guys running their K20a2's with GT30's for YEARS with ZERO problems. It's all in the tune!

But like said before, if you're looking to beat on your car, then I'd upgrade components in the block.

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I second looking at k20a or crsx.. however i recently learned a lot of advantages of the k24a2 over the rest. this isn't first hand mind you but it is from a trusted guy who owns a machine shop and builds race cars. apparently the tsx motor comes from the factory with a micropolished crank and better balancing in the entire block as well. if you have the cash and you want to boost a k look into a k24.. however my 2 cents if you want a k20a stick to an n/a build. these motors are meant to have high compression and be revved to the sky.

stoney13

5+ Year Member
thanks for the advise.

the only reason i was looking into a K20a and not any of the other K-series motors was b/c I wanted an engine that started out with higher hp. Yes it is hella expensive which is why I asked about the internals, but it could be worth it in the end. They do say that if you want quality you gotta pay for it, but im starting to think that swapping to a k24 could be just as nice.

But yeah I want to be able to put a bigger turbo on and not some piece of s**t turbo from ebay that runs 6psi. I want to be able to go up to like 25psi when I want to run around pushing 500hp.

Cause I just dont want to buy things twice. Like a smaller turbo and then upgrade to a bigger one. I'm thinking now just buy a nice turbo now that can run up to 25psi and only running it at 6-7psi and if I decide to upgrade the internals later I can turn the boost up.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Majorities of turbos out there will max out around 25psi, even the small turbos. Note this in your brain, the size of the turbo DOES matter when coming to raising up and down the boost. Which means, 25psi on a GT35 is TOTALLY different from 25psi on a TD04.

Now since you said you were looking for 500hp or so, you wouldn't be running a TD04; even with the TD04 maxed out psi, you still wont see 500hp (TD04 used as an example). If you truley are looking for power around the range of 500hp or so, you're already behind on the process.

My recommendations:
- Study the motor, specs, powerband, aftermarket support, etc...
- Once you know how the power curve is throughout the powerband (let's choose the K20a2 for example), you'll want to pick the correct supporting mods to backup that certain range of the powerband, pick the correct turbo (because all turbos work differently), and move on to the next step (K20a2 contains most of it's power and torque throughout the mid-high end of the rpm powerband, which is more logical to pick a sufficient turbo that'll hold boost throughout it's whole powerband) <Which, everyone should know that, so no point into taking it into detail.
- Next thing is to buy everything; either you do all the work, or let a reputable shop do it.
- Final thing is to, TUNE THE s**t OUT THAT CAR! If there's a local tuner around, that know what he's doing, then take the car to him/her, they'll take care of you from then on.

Blah blah blah, blah blah blah, that's about it dude.

Oh yea, and the k24a2 IS a beast! I have a friend with a k20a2 head/k24a2 block, ALL BRAND NEW OEM INTERNALS, with a bolt on Garrett 3082r, he makes just a little over 350whp @ 12psi, been DD it with no problems at 12psi for a good 2 years now.

So it all depends on, mods of course, and most importantly, the TUNE! Have a great day! =)

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why would you put the k20a2 head on the k24a2 block? it flows less than the K24a2 head does.

stoney13

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the advise.

Actually I have a friend who has a really good reputation here in KC and he had a k24a2block and k20a2 head and dropped that into an integra and made it a 9sec car. Ridiculous right. He is a genius for real when it comes to honda motors. He knows everything. So he is gonna help me put everything in and tune it.

I dont see him that much anymore but I talked to him today at his shop and he said that the k24 is a great motor for your buck.

Im just trying to learn as much as I can without his help so I can help him put this beast in my EM2

Renzo21

Nice Bowl of D17 Soup...
5+ Year Member
Good info guys, I'm impressed.

Read, read, read, read, read, etc. dude. Learn ins and outs of each different engine/head compatibility and learn, learn, learn, learn about all the different turbos. Just be specific as you can about what you want. Call the companies up and ask 'em specs on everything. Go for quality parts. Personally I recommend going with the k24a2 but I havent done much homework on that. That parts up to you. I've never really been into the turbo stuff to much, so kudos to you dude for attempting this s**t. Have fun!!! Update us dude!

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
What that dude said. Learn the stuff for yourself.

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no it doesn't... the a2 head flows better
Correction, the K24A2 head flows at higher velocity at lower RPMs improving torque. The K20A2 head flows higher CFM's at the top of the range.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Correction, the K24A2 head flows at higher velocity at lower RPMs improving torque. The K20A2 head flows higher CFM's at the top of the range.
This man knows his k-series engines :shock: