K20 Type-R in a 99 civic sedan

lil_dave

check out my thread if your still looking for a k20a swap. I have 98% of the parts you will need for the full swap. or can just buy all my stuff including the 99 civic si for $10,000. =)

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea if i were you... id plan on atleast 8K to get it done properly... you also need space to work and have your car sit torn apart for a while... ive seen simple swaps done while parallel parked on the side of the street.... this is much more complicated and you need to be able to leave the car sit unattended with expensive parts vunerable... your driveway wont cut it.

then after you swap it... do not show it off... you will only be asking for someone to steal it if its not garaged every night.

can you afford not only to lose the car.... but all the money you put into it?

your best bet is to sell it and invest in an RSX that already has it done and comes factory equipped with a really good immobilizer

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea if i were you... id plan on atleast 8K to get it done properly... you also need space to work and have your car sit torn apart for a while... ive seen simple swaps done while parallel parked on the side of the street.... this is much more complicated and you need to be able to leave the car sit unattended with expensive parts vunerable... your driveway wont cut it.

then after you swap it... do not show it off... you will only be asking for someone to steal it if its not garaged every night.

can you afford not only to lose the car.... but all the money you put into it?

your best bet is to sell it and invest in an RSX that already has it done and comes factory equipped with a really good immobilizer
agreed.
in my area you can buy an rsx for about 9 or 10k

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
with everyone else. Drive it until it dies then think of a swap. 47 k is nothing and shouldn't be ripped out... but my money is on it not happening.

bofthe951

I feel the K20. I have a 99 civic sedan auto also and considered the same thing. Personally, I went with not going to do the swap. I am going to finish all the cosmetic work to mine and then purchase a project car to build up that already has 5 speed. I drive my car everywhere all the time. When I researched it the motor was 3,700 new and i found a dude who'd do all the work for like 2k. Now for 5,700 bucks plus all the breaking in for the motor just seemed a lot for me.

Spyro

5+ Year Member
I feel the K20. I have a 99 civic sedan auto also and considered the same thing. Personally, I went with not going to do the swap. I am going to finish all the cosmetic work to mine and then purchase a project car to build up that already has 5 speed. I drive my car everywhere all the time. When I researched it the motor was 3,700 new and i found a dude who'd do all the work for like 2k. Now for 5,700 bucks plus all the breaking in for the motor just seemed a lot for me.
I recently found one through my cousin, he said that he could get me a k20 type-s full swap for 1,700. i want to find out the year so that i can see if it has 200hp (a3) or 220hp (z1) the approx mileage is 70k

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I recently found one through my cousin, he said that he could get me a k20 type-s full swap for 1,700. i want to find out the year so that i can see if it has 200hp (a3) or 220hp (z1) the approx mileage is 70k
no way in hell its a full swap, maybe just the tranny or motor but even they go for more than that

Rich-PMS

Registered VIP
I would swap a LS and boost it.

It'll be half the price, make more power, and be a blast to drive.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If the Kswap you found is legit then do it. If it's not a full complete swap then I'd go turbo. Would you rather drive your car in a month or 6 months?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If it's the K20A3, it's a piece of s**t motor. VTEC is only on the intake side. Quite possibly the most worthless k-series VTEC motor :lol:.