K24 powered s2000

papichulo26

Ok the new issue of Honda-tuning came out and the cover story is of a guy who has an s2k powered by a K24 with the S2K transmission being used. I dont know about you but if I had an S2K i would not go spending my money on a motor that aint going to compare to the F20 or F22. Let me know what you think bout this ima put the info of the car in a bit. But i just though it would of been nice for you guys and ladys to know hit it up with a comment and drop your though on......

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you have that magazine, try reading the "Spotlight" editorial on page 6. He talks exactly about your statement...

It's somewhat sad to see our peers condemning ingenuity and forward thinking, rather than keeping an open mind and seeing where these things might take us. If you're the Honda enthusiast you claim to be, try giving a new idea a fighting chance before you bash it.

EMIIspecED

TEAM OCELOT rep.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
take pics of the mag, i haven't gotten my copy yet

papichulo26

Good looking out Dcraabe and yea i got the mag and ima read it when i get home its in my car i am dieing to read it sounds mad interesting. Wonder how much he actually put into doing all that.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I read the article, it's a sick build

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you have that magazine, try reading the "Spotlight" editorial on page 6. He talks exactly about your statement...
It's somewhat sad to see our peers condemning ingenuity and forward thinking, rather than keeping an open mind and seeing where these things might take us. If you're the Honda enthusiast you claim to be, try giving a new idea a fighting chance before you bash it.
sorry but completely disagree.. doing something for the simple sake of being different is stupid and has no logical benefit..

If he happened to have that motor already and come across an S2k with a blown motor.. or some similar situation.. then yeah sure it would make sense.. in this situation.. I fail to see the benefit of taking out a motor that responds well to modifications only to replace it with another motor that responds well to modifications.. the money invested in the swap could have gone to fully build the old motor.. no real point..

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ Yes!

doing something for the simple sake of being different is stupid and has no logical benefit.
Thank God that's just your opinion.

I fail to see the benefit of taking out a motor that responds well to modifications only to replace it with another motor that responds well to modifications
Of course your going to fail when you lack the knowledge. With that being said, and from the knowledge that I have, i do understand why you would say something like that.

To some, the mere mention of removing the high revving F20 is considered automotive blasphemy, but those who have tried to make naturally aspirated power with the high revving 2.0L are well aware that it doesn't take well to upgrades. However, the K series family seems to thrive on even the simplest of bolt-ons, and Kevin had his sights set on being the first to make this match made in heaven a reality.

After installing a Hondata K-Pro, intake, exhaust, and moving up to a non-staggered wheel configuration, the S2000 was netting much better times, but was still missing something. Attending multiple track days with his brother Greg and friend Mike Broddle forced Kevin to take a closer look at their K20-powered Integras

Thoughts of combining the potential of the K series with the track-friendly nature of the S2K began to turn the wheels inside Kevin's head.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To some, the mere mention of removing the high revving F20 is considered automotive blasphemy, but those who have tried to make naturally aspirated power with the high revving 2.0L are well aware that it doesn't take well to upgrades. However, the K series family seems to thrive on even the simplest of bolt-ons, and Kevin had his sights set on being the first to make this match made in heaven a reality.

After installing a Hondata K-Pro, intake, exhaust, and moving up to a non-staggered wheel configuration, the S2000 was netting much better times, but was still missing something. Attending multiple track days with his brother Greg and friend Mike Broddle forced Kevin to take a closer look at their K20-powered Integras

Thoughts of combining the potential of the K series with the track-friendly nature of the S2K began to turn the wheels inside Kevin's head.
so don't take an N/A approach... I could understand the swap if the motor that came with the car was some piece of s**t motor that was essentially useless.. but that is not the case.. why bother removing a motor that responds well to forced induction? why waste the effort.. time.. and money...

and if there IS some specific reasoning behind it.. then the following is irrelevant...

doing something for the simple sake of being different is stupid and has no logical benefit.
because it is not being done for the sake of doing it.. it is being done to attain a specific result..

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe he did another project with the F22, but if he didnt, i would've left it in the S2K...

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so don't take an N/A approach... I could understand the swap if the motor that came with the car was some piece of s**t motor that was essentially useless.. but that is not the case..
My opinion is that Honda motors are made for N/A. First thing i can think of is their high compression. idk. maybe i need to learn more, just my opinion.

The razor sharp throttle response from a n/a setup just freaking gets my heart pumping. As soon as my foot touches the gas peddal, i can feel the adrenaline rushing through my foot up into my heart. It's an amazing thing.

why bother removing a motor that responds well to forced induction?
Simple, because there can always be something better. In this case, the term better is best defined by the person who decided to act based on the knowledge he has gathered.

I like what he did. Wish i was fortunate enough to do such project. A simple S2000 would satisfied my needs though.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
why bother removing a motor that responds well to forced induction?
Maybe because they didn't want to boost it? Just a thought...

I sort of agree... Sometimes doing something to be different can be stupid. But if you have the time and money and desire, they'll do it because they can. Why do people put 2JZ's and LS1's into S2000's? Why do people put F20/F22's into Mini's? Why do people put LS1's into FD/FC RX-7's? It's the same principle: because they can and want to.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My opinion is that Honda motors are made for N/A. First thing i can think of is their high compression. idk. maybe i need to learn more, just my opinion.

The razor sharp throttle response from a n/a setup just freaking gets my heart pumping. As soon as my foot touches the gas peddal, i can feel the adrenaline rushing through my foot up into my heart. It's an amazing thing.

Simple, because there can always be something better. In this case, the term better is best defined by the person who decided to act based on the knowledge he has gathered.

I like what he did. Wish i was fortunate enough to do such project. A simple S2000 would satisfied my needs though.
your response is honest and fair.. I was not trying to be an "e-thug" I was just saying to me.. having an s2k already.. running.. and then having say "$5k" to dump into it "motor swap" would be the absolute last thing on my list..

one thing my civic taught me was this.. you can be unique.. you can be original.. but at the end of the day (for me) I am after performance and the cheapest, most direct way to it.. that is how I ended up with the Mustang.. yeah they have been done to death.. 5.0 no originality there.. but guess what.. the entire project will likely cost me under $10k and that even includes redoing ALL the gauges, sparco seats, and weld rims.. point being for me.. "what it is" or "how its done" is kind of irrelevant... to me at least.. is it fast? does it haul ass? that is about all that is important to me.. personally..

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your response is honest and fair.. I was not trying to be an "e-thug" I was just saying to me.. having an s2k already.. running.. and then having say "$5k" to dump into it "motor swap" would be the absolute last thing on my list..

one thing my civic taught me was this.. you can be unique.. you can be original.. but at the end of the day (for me) I am after performance and the cheapest, most direct way to it.. that is how I ended up with the Mustang.. yeah they have been done to death.. 5.0 no originality there.. but guess what.. the entire project will likely cost me under $10k and that even includes redoing ALL the gauges, sparco seats, and weld rims.. point being for me.. "what it is" or "how its done" is kind of irrelevant... to me at least.. is it fast? does it haul ass? that is about all that is important to me.. personally..

Oh, i know you weren't e-thugin'. We're just chatting that's all.

I don't think i could do that to my S2000.
Here's one reason; The r&d Honda did on the S2000 was with the original motor that's in the bay now. I don't have proof of this, but if they did do r&d with a K series motor aswell, why wasn't that the final candidate? you know what i mean?

Now, whatever results Honda got from r&d is an outcome of a combination of the AP chassis and the F series motor. Changing one of those factors will change the output of the overall r&d results. This man on Honda Tuning decided to change one of those factor which will change the over all results of how those two factors now react to each other. How much r&d did this man do to determine that he's truly getting the best rest for what his intentions with car are? i have no idea.

I do agree with you about achieving things of equal or possibly greater value with less cost, oh yea.

OblivionEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I like that its different and new to put a K24 into an S2000. Why not an F24C though, its not original, but not overdone either. F20C + H22 con rods + K24 crank = awesome. I'm sure the custom machining required can't be as expensive as fabbing up parts to swap in the K24. Resleeving and a .30 over bore can up displacement to a 2.5...

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I like that its different and new to put a K24 into an S2000. Why not an F24C though, its not original, but not overdone either. F20C + H22 con rods + K24 crank = awesome. I'm sure the custom machining required can't be as expensive as fabbing up parts to swap in the K24. Resleeving and a .30 over bore can up displacement to a 2.5...
Huh, I've never hear of that combination. What's special about the H series connection rods?

OblivionEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
They perfectly match the deck height of the F20C with a K24 crank, H22A pistons. POint was though, that you can make an F24C out of OEM parts and a little machining. Maybe with some mild upgrades in the head, rods and pistons, and some sleeving and boring, you could really make the S2000 into an even more rev-hungry beast.