KandN for EX 2006 Any good?

cellardoor

5+ Year Member
Hello. I'm new to the forum. Enjoying it so far. I did a search and didn't find any info on this ... if there is a thread please point it out.

I have a 2006 stock EX Coupe... could use a little more horsepower. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with the KandN filters? They seem to have two types: one that drops in as a replacement for the original

Air Filter 33-2342

and a much larger Typhoon Kit

Typhoon Kit (SR) 69-1013TS

Any advice appreciated!

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just go for the drop in filter.

msuh08

5+ Year Member
well for sound i would definitely say get the typhoon. i have one in my 2007 ex. SOUNDS AMAZING compared to stock. only problem with it is its kind of a pain in the ass to get the stock airbox out cause these engine bays are so cramped. but not that bad. just yank out the screws connecting the the airbox and fit the intake in. relatively easy.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive heard bad things about the drop in filters. like they end up clogging the MAF because they dont filter as much. IMO i would keep the filter OEM unless you change the intake

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
ive heard bad things about the drop in filters. like they end up clogging the MAF because they dont filter as much. IMO i would keep the filter OEM unless you change the intake
I'm running a K&N drop-in in my fa5, to be honest i like it better then just the oe filter, and afterwards i was able to actually chirp third gear, sound wise though it didn't make a difference though.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
like i said, it was all hearsay, heh. and i beleive you can chirp 3rd stock..

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
like i said, it was all hearsay, heh. and i beleive you can chirp 3rd stock..
Personaly i could not chirp third sstock, hell it was actually a b***h to even power shift third for some reason, lol, couldn't tell you why.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
third gear problems? lol im pretty sure ive heard my friends chirp it anyway, i have an EX auto so i know i cant haha

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
third gear problems? lol im pretty sure ive heard my friends chirp it anyway, i have an EX auto so i know i cant haha
I'm sure it's not related to that third gear issue, may have been just operator issue:shock:

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol could be.

but ive heard the typhoon kit on an R18 and it sounded pretty good, and looked nice. i myself have an injen cai with hydroshield waiting to be put on when i get it back from the bodyshop :(

si-freak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive herd that the drop in filters have no gains at all

just go with the full intake . it has proven gains.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
ive herd that the drop in filters have no gains at all

just go with the full intake . it has proven gains.
full intakes will get you then same gains as a drop-in, but with one draw back, which is heat soak, due to that nice shinney aluminum tube, which will rob you or true hp gains, so why waste 200-300 dollars, for a few hp, it's already been proven on 8thcivic.com that a OEM style set-up(rubber crv tube, and modded MAF house) with a cone filter can gain more hp for less money.

ameuba10

The A Train
5+ Year Member
i have the typhoon kit on my r18.sounds amazing and i noticed just a touch more power. i highly doubt that a drop in filter allowed you to chirp 3rd when you couldnt before. id say maybe you made .5hp from it. its probly more or less a placebo effect.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i have the typhoon kit on my r18.sounds amazing and i noticed just a touch more power. i highly doubt that a drop in filter allowed you to chirp 3rd when you couldnt before. id say maybe you made .5hp from it. its probly more or less a placebo effect.
and i doubt you felt more power from your r18 with just a intake, waste of money.:word:

As i said before, personally i couldn't chirp before, adn i can now, i never said i gained more power or even how much possible, but i bet my K20z3 gained more of the drop in then your r18 did on that full typhoon kit.

r18 typhoon kit 5.71hp for $268.00, hp per dollar is a b***h ain't it, but it's not just about hp gains, gas milage and preventing heat soak, stock intake protect better against heat soak due to the rubber material, where as the aftermarket intake tubes typically do not, since they are made of aluminum, which does what, well get hot under the hood, which just helps to increase the air temp going into teh motor, now if your intake is made from plastic like some K&N intakes then cool, in will protect a little better then their alum one's, but if not then that sucks, cause your just sucking in more hot air, which is a cause of of heat soak.

Last edited:

ameuba10

The A Train
5+ Year Member
tom, how can you possibly think that your drop in filter cangive you more power than the sri? im not saying that i noticed a huge difference. im not even saying i got the 5.71hp that k&n predicts. i also got mine brand new for $151 shipped.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
tom, how can you possibly think that your drop in filter cangive you more power than the sri? im not saying that i noticed a huge difference. im not even saying i got the 5.71hp that k&n predicts. i also got mine brand new for $151 shipped.
cause it's already been proven that the stock airbox and a oem tube, is alot better then any aftermarket product so far, granite be, i have not gone to the extreme's that others have with their's yet, which means modding the stock MAF, which K&N never even considered in their design, it's more important to retain the stock MAF veins wether it's a k20, or a r18, simply comes to how the veins are modded, now same here i'm not saying my has created alot more power, but power per dollar sure, everyone knows that the k20z3 responds exceptionally well with simple mods, hell the first guy to even experiment with making his own intake (dyno'd) proven gained 12-15hp on a k20z3, however it wasn't a k&n drop-in filter, but it was still the stock tube, the reason he kept the stock tube (actually a 07-09 crv tube) rather oem tube was due to protect against heat-soak as i previously mentioned, if there's any reason why my drop in would make more then your short ram, then there's your answer, your sucking in more hot air, versus mine sucking in air in through the OE setup with a K&N, now do i know for sure, nah, but am i wrong, who know's, but if i want to believe my "placebo effect", then that's my business, because i know how my car feels, maybe one day when i get my CC paid off i'll go to a dyno and see, but as for now i'll believe my setup is better based on fact of testing OE versus aftermarket.

4ADAM12

5+ Year Member
Call me what you will, but I'd like to see someone experiment using a FMIC with no turbo, just to see how well it cools incoming air, and if there is anything to be gained.

flame on in three... two... one...