Did you reprogram it?

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Pretty sure all the security goes through the stock head unit to include the clicker. And you just replaced it.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pretty sure all the security goes through the stock head unit to include the clicker. And you just replaced it.
Yep, that's correct.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good call. :oops:

Decipher

Registered VIP
For your model of civic, there is a special harness that will allow you to connect the new head unit while also keeping the old factory unit(which contains the keyless entry electronics) connected. eBay will suffice:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Civic-Radio-WIRE-HARNESS-INSTALL-STEREO-Retains-Factory-Keyless-Entry-/380404164590?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1996|Model:Civic&vxp=mtr&hash=item5891dae7ee#ht_4230wt_911

Hope you didn't get rid of the old stereo already. You'll have to relocate the old head unit somewhere behind the center console or dash to hide it.

Always do research before you perform upgrades or modifications... you'll save yourself from headaches like this.

yamaharider324

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There is still a way to keep the keyless entry and have an aftermarket deck. I believe you have to keep the stock radio semi wired back in the dash behind the new deck and heater controls. My car came with a different deck but key fob still worked cuz my stock radio is still in my dash.

Do a little searching and you'll find what i'm talking about.

Hope that helped :what:

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah it's kind of stupid that it's setup like that but not totally uncommon either. I helped my friend install a stereo in his VW before and it disabled the airbag for the same reason, pretty stupid if you ask me.

kozy6871

The OEs do that to make you get a dealer installed factory upgrade. It sucks because they charge ass-loads of money for a mediocre head unit, at best, and then the labor to go with it.