Key fob/door locks not working!!

d.Wrek

5+ Year Member
I have a 97 ex with an aftermarket stereo. When I got the car I did not receive a key fob so all the work is from what I have done. I installed the stereo and buried the stock receiver in the dash. This was no problem and my headlight buzzer and dome light worked.

There was no problem with the locks before I bought the OEM key fob. The problem came after I finally got a key fob and got it programmed. It worked perfect for like 3 months then stopped working. I think what started the problem is that I manually unlocked the door cuz thats what I've been used to.

After this the key fob stopped working and the doors stopped locking/unlocking automatically. The only way to do it now is manually.

When I use the lock/unlock button sometimes I can hear a click in the door but nothing happens. When I push a button on the key fob the light on the fob blinks so I figure that the battery isn't dead.

Has anyone had this happen? Should I unplug the battery to reset the computer? Should I try to reprogram the key fob? Is the locking mechanism broke? Even if the locking mechanism was broke would that stop the other door from unlocking too?

Its a pain in the ass manually locking doors all the time.

DTvn

This happens to me all the time, not sure what a permanent fix is but I just re-program it and it'll work perfect for a week or so and go back to not working/ pressing the button 10 times until it'll lock/unlock

d.Wrek

5+ Year Member
Word, ill have to try that...has yours been doing it for a long time?

d.Wrek

5+ Year Member
k so I tried to reprogram the remote. i couldn't get the lock to actually cycle. I can hear a click inside the door handle so this would rule out a fuse problem correct? also anyone know all the fuses that would effect door locks and fobs?

d.Wrek

5+ Year Member
So I got an door lock control unit from the junk yard today...Replacing this DID NOT fix the problem both the new one and the one i had make a clicking sound when I toggle the lock/unlock switch...I also checked the power supply and the ground for continuity and both are good...does anyone have any suggestions of what to do next?..I cant stand this not working

d.Wrek

5+ Year Member
New discovery!..the power is only working temporarily...after I toggle the lock/unlock switch a couple of times the power cuts off for a while WTF

d.Wrek

5+ Year Member
Fuse 51 under the hood is good, but im not getting power to fuse 14 under the dash...does this fuse only get power when the lock button is pushed, or should it have constant power?

RonJ

Banned
The power locks are controlled by the drive's door switch or the fob. Do the locks work from the switch?

RonJ

Banned
im not getting power to fuse 14 under the dash...does this fuse only get power when the lock button is pushed, or should it have constant power?
Fuse 14 gets voltage only with the key in ON(II). Voltage test it that way. Click the fuses link in my signature.

d.Wrek

5+ Year Member
The WHT/GRN wire that goes to the lock control unit box has power until I try to lock or unlock, with the door lock switch and/or key fob a couple of times, then the wire will not have power for a few minutes

Power locks don't work at all right now, ill check fuse 14 with the key on when i get home

Also is there anyway that the stereo wiring could have caused the problem?

RonJ

Banned
Sounds like the Wht/Grn wire is cracked/broken at the connector in the driver's door jam. It's a very common problem. Fixing that wire should solve the problem.