Kit lense or a decent one instead?

can87

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've seen some great photography here, so I thought your advice would be helpful.

I'm thinking about getting myself a DSLR and decided on the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi/400D. But I'm not sure about the kit lense. I've read some comments here and there (actually loads of comments) and people always say that the 18-55 kit lense is just rubbish.

So I have 2 options,

1- XTi with kit lense + Tamron 70-300mm telephoto (which I'm gonna need eventually)
2- XTi body + Tamron 17-50mm (or Sigma 17-70 which is a bit cheaper)

Which one would you prefer? Is the kit lense that bad? Can I take sharp and satisfying shots with the 18-55? And what are your comments on the Tamron and Sigma lenses I've mentioned?

Since I'm a poor student, I can't afford an L glass so keep this in mind if you're gonna post any suggestions :lol:

Cheers

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've got a sigma lens that has just been a tank. I've put some serious abuse on this thing it just keeps on ticking.

Beyond that I shoot Nikon so I really can't make Canon suggestions.

EDIT: Killed my Sigma Thursday night after 2 years of abuse.

divisionm

5+ Year Member
the kit lens is not that bad. im gonna suggest what everyone told me when i bought my xti: use the kit lens for a while and see what you like and dislike about it. its not a bad starter lens, you can really capture some good shots. i think its more about who is shooting...
i dont have any experience but i heard a lot of great things about that tamron.
hope it helps. good luck =)

1337 | RCE

teh broke enthusiast
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yea... use the kit lens first and find out what more you want from your camera, then pick an appropriate lens. gives you time to develop your own style too while you learn the camera.

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have an XTi and use the 18-55mm kit lense. The lense is nice. I just wish i could get more out of it. Id suggest starting with that and then go from there.