Kloan's Build - '98 EX Coupe

Kloan

5+ Year Member
I just inherited a 1998 Civic EX Coupe from my uncle who recently passed away.

I'm going to be slowly modifying it, hopefully doing things with taste so it doesn't end up Fast & Furious style.

So far I've got plenty stuff bought, and shipping, to keep me busy:

Appearance Mods:
- Bixenon HID kit
- B&M Dual bend short shifter, bushings kit
- 'Type R' [style] shifter
- '99-00 style red/clear tail lights (<- didn't fit, sending back for refund, looking for OEM only now)
- Mugen style front lip, type r style rear lip (<- jerkoff seller dicking me around, didn't send it, UPS tracking hasn't updated)
- Billet aluminum replacement hood release (since original broke, why not)

Stereo:
- Kenwood KDC-MP538U head unit (already installed - I like it)
- Kenwood KFCW2512 10" sub
- Crunch P1100.2 1100 Watt 2-Channel Amplifier
- 10" sealed box
- wiring kit

Wishlist (in no particular order)
- racing seats
- lower springs
- 16" rims, 205/45/16 tires
- header, exhaust
- new paint

Anyway, here are some pics of my car... will update thread with each new install. First up will be the rest of the stereo this weekend.

UPDATE, AUG 7th

Stereo is complete, installed amp and sub. Combo actually sounds really good, got it tuned alright. Overall, I'm happy with it. Total cost of parts was just over $200 for box, sub, amp and wiring kit. Will post pics later today.

Also, received the Mishimoto Carbon Fiber intake that I scored on eBay for $61 shipped (what a deal!!). Going to be installing it later today... heres a pic of the intake:

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i didnt know a type r shift knob came with led lights

Kloan

5+ Year Member
nice pick up! The body and interior looks mint!
deceiving photos...

interior is in great shape, but the exterior needs some work. there are quite a few little scratches here and there, and the hood has a small dent on the very front, front bumper's clearcoat is chipping.

so many things i want to do! paint is high on the list, but also the most expensive next to an engine swap.

if anyone knows of a great place in So-Cal that does solid work, let me know.

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks really clean man. Great potential. I will be watching this build.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You probably won't like the S-Tech drop, barely drops the car. Go with something lower like the H&R Sport or Eibach Sportline.

Kloan

5+ Year Member
You probably won't like the S-Tech drop, barely drops the car. Go with something lower like the H&R Sport or Eibach Sportline.
Ah, ok.. thanks for the recommendation.. I'll look those up.

As far as re-using the struts, is this something that's ok to do with either of those springs, or would I be better off getting some news ones to go with them?

----

Tails came in today. Went to Auto Zone to get some tools... all of my stuff is in storage in Canada, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch. They had a 2-ton jack, jack stands, trolly and bar for $59.. not bad. Also got a cheapo socket set and some cleaning supplies.

My sub isn't coming in til next Tues, and it doesn't seem like anyone else has even shipped my parts yet, so it looks like I'll be doing to tails first.

Will post pics tomorrow for the before/during/after. =)

Btw, I know so many people have already done these things, but I kinda want to have a log for my own records as well.. so that's why I'm posting this stuff.

Kloan

5+ Year Member
I've seen that said before, yet the specs show the Teins actually lower more than the H&Rs.

Tein S-Tech: 1.9" Front/1.7" Rear - $160 shipped (+tax, in CA)
H&R Sport: 1.8" Front/1.6" Rear - $190 shipped
Eibach Sportline: 1.8" Front/1.8" Rear - $205 shipped

I dunno, from the info above, it looks like the Teins are the best choice.

Noodler

I wear socks
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
teins drop more in the rear than the front. then imagine having something in the back.

iBeast

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
teins drop more in the rear than the front. then imagine having something in the back.

this is very true my H-tech's lowered more in the rear but its not a bad drop. mine settled about 1.5-2 inches lower.

Kloan

5+ Year Member
Oh for real? I guess we can't trust their specs...

Ok, well in that case I think I'll go with the Eibach or H&R. I want a comfortable ride, but at the same time I want better handling, since I like to take corners fast...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Eibachs are stiffer than TEIN and I hear they supposedly don't drop as much as they're rated to. Go with Eibach springs.

I have Tokico Illumina shocks and Eibach Sportline springs and I'm tucking my rear stock steelies & tires.

Kloan

5+ Year Member
Eibachs are stiffer than TEIN and I hear they supposedly don't drop as much as they're rated to. Go with Eibach springs.

I have Tokico Illumina shocks and Eibach Sportline springs and I'm tucking my rear stock steelies & tires.
Um, did you mean H&R?

I plan on getting 16" rims, with 205/45/16 tires. I don't want any tuck, I just want the gap between the wheels and fenders closed, maybe 1-2 finger gap left.

There's so many options, it's too hard to pick one.

Tein S-Tech
H&R Sport
Eibach Sportline
Megan Racing
Tanabe

Which will offer 2" or so of drop? From what I can tell from the pictures I've seen of peoples rides, is that 2" will have no tuck. Is this correct?

This guy's ride here looks just fine, and he's using the Teins w/ stock shocks:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showpost.php?p=38767034&postcount=24

Actually, this looks like a good drop right here:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showpost.php?p=1534856&postcount=337

Neuspeed Race Springs, about the same price as the others.