Knock sensor issue

sprmario

Mario H.
5+ Year Member
Ok i have a 98 JDM GSR motor in my 98 EK, im getting an error code 23, which is the knock sensor. And i understand that because of this CEL code that i cant hit vtech. My question is that when i swapped the motor i replaced the mounts with poly mounts, and are stiffer than OEM, because of the stiffer mounts would the knock sensor detect more vibration and cause me to throw the CEL code?

I was just wondering if i needed to replace the sensor cause it was bad, or its cause of the stiffer mounts thus causing more vibration to be detected by the sensor, if so what can i do to the sensor to not be so sensative?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Stiffer mounts shouldnt affect it. Make sure you have it pluged in. Also, if you are using a Lx/Dx harness, its not wired in. You have to wire it in on your own.

lownslow

5+ Year Member
did u loctite the threads when you installed it? it could have rattled loose and unthread itself so its not in there solid? check to make sure its tight.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also make sure its torqued down to spec. I think its like 27ft lbs of torque. Although I never loctite'd the treads when I put mine in and had no issues, your supposed to. I just happened to get lucky. :lol:

sprmario

Mario H.
5+ Year Member
well the harness is my original harness which was for a 98 ex, so i didnt have to add any additional wires. I just took off the sensor and it was pretty tight when i took it off, and it was wired in properly (1 wire connection), Anything else it could be?

sprmario

Mario H.
5+ Year Member
also wondering, could i just wire up the knock sensor without having it plugged into the block, if i cover it with something it shouldn't go off since its basicly like a mic.?

rexman

hondas for life
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i thought ex civics dont use knock sensor??? did the car have a sohc to begin with?

lsvtecEK4

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the knock sensor is a 2 wire i believe? and ex model civics do have a knock sensor

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The D16 Vtec motors use knock sensors, and the B-Series Vtec motors use them as well (I believe). The knock sensor is only one wire, though.

sprmario

Mario H.
5+ Year Member
my sohc was Vtech, and it did have a knock sensor on the block, Single wire knock sensor.

sprmario

Mario H.
5+ Year Member
i know i can get my ecu chipped to not look for a knock sensor but im a lil short of cash to do it. I'm just trying to find any other alternatives.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
wire up the damn sensor, that is a pretty good option, it is super easy. Do you have any spare harnesses lying around, go to a junk yard and get a plug for the IAT,IACV, water temp sensor, vtec pressure sensor, purge cut solenoid valve, any of the round style 2 wire plugs and cut it off the harness and cut the bottom wire completely off or take it out, it's up to you. Then extend the wire and run it to pin D3.
All you need is:
soldering iron/solder/heat shrink
wire
2 prong plug
ecu pinout(spare one)

I would send you these things but I'm sure you can get ahold of them all pretty easy at a junk yard.
This might help you too.http://www.phearable.net/tech/wiring/wiring.92-95.jpg

sprmario

Mario H.
5+ Year Member
i have the original harness for the GSR motor, but im using my stock ex harness. It is already wired up for the knock sensor, but my question is can i fool the ecu in thinking that the knock sensor is working fine?

Oh and its a OBD2a ECU

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
it should have knock already in the harness. why not just fix it.

sprmario

Mario H.
5+ Year Member
thats the thing, would my knock sensor issue be the sensor itself? Cause of the stiffer mounts? It sucks driving it in limp mode cause of the Cel. Im thinking about just connecting the wire back up to the sensor but leaving the sensor itself unplugged to the block. Can i do that? I'll just have to get the ECU chipped later so it wont look for the sensor.

sprmario

Mario H.
5+ Year Member
thats what im gonna do first, hopefully thats all that is. i may as well get the ECU chipped cause im not taking my IM off again to get that sensor out.

sprmario

Mario H.
5+ Year Member
so are there any tricks to make the knock sensor not as sensative, but not throw a CEL as well???