Lack of power going uphill

rfcRYANrfc

5+ Year Member
How u doin guys,i have a 1996 1.4i honda civic hatchback and was wondering if u could help me with a problem. My car is pretty quick off the mark and on straights although when i come to any sort of incline in the road my car struggles. I know it could be things like clogged fuel filter,pump maybe injectors? And even maybe a clogged catalytic converter. Any suggestions?

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's a civic (ranging from 1.4-1.6L), your answer should be pretty much self-explanatory.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
By the way, just to make this thread a little more worth something. The best way to improve that would be to get a bigger litre engine (1.8L, 2.0L, etc.) or a nice gearing setup for your transmission.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
"There is no replacement for displacement". Honda's 1.6L inline 4 engines barely make 100ft lbs of torque to the wheels. Either turbo charge, super charge, or spray for more power so hills aren't as bad, or get a bigger engine. Or just sell your civic and get something that's faster.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
x5

Hondas dont have torque, and thats what you need to move you. JohnS said it best

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You don't have more power going downhill by any chance, do you? You think your car is not good on inclines because of a clogged air filter or injectors?!!!!!! News flash it's a civic not a hummer which apparently you were not because you were born, raised and made it far enough to post this thread. This is one of the most ingnorant and uneducated threads I have ever seen. Do your research, maybe along the way you will come across something that explains the nature of your fuel economy car.

Last edited:

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do you have any CEL codes or other engine issues?

Otherwise, they're probably right...

ekracer_83

hardcore rice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
brother, its not the stuffs you listed that making your car declining uphill. its the engine in your car. get it swap for a k24 or buy yourself a v8.

el_betiyo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You don't have more power going downhill by any chance, do you? You think your car is not good on inclines because of a clogged air filter or injectors?!!!!!! News flash it's a civic not a hummer which apparently you were not because you were born, raised and made it far enough to post this thread. This is one of the most ingnorant and uneducated threads I have ever seen. Do your research, maybe along the way you will come across something that explains the nature of your fuel economy car.
:ohsnap: :slap:

OP, like everybody else said, it's a civic

rfcRYANrfc

5+ Year Member
Cheers for the input guys,as for Frankmoocivic get a f**ckin grip ppl come on here for help and geeks like u that mite stay on this site day and nite because they have nothing better to do with their lives think they know everything so get yourself a life mate and get out more!

devo1104

5+ Year Member
Cheers for the input guys,as for Frankmoocivic get a f**ckin grip ppl come on here for help and geeks like u that mite stay on this site day and nite because they have nothing better to do with their lives think they know everything so get yourself a life mate and get out more!
what you have to realize that if you have spent enough time on this site is that there are many people that post on here and don't know anything and don't care to search for what they are looking for. also, people are allowed to be sarcastic on here. he was not the only one that thought what he wrote, and you should not call him out as being the only one. if you are worried about your car going up hills, then find a way to avoid that happening.

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well sir I have been banned for almost a week and a half for people like you asking the SAME TYPES OF QUESTIONS. I come to this site with the other "geeks" to share an interest in the cars we enjoy. I however have no problems going up and down hills because rather than asking such a general ignorant question, I researched and found what I needed to better my knowledge and my car. I do not wish to argue, I only wish to let you know that your question can be answered by adding a law of motion and a bit of research on your part. Good journey sir.

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well sir I have been banned for almost a week and a half for people like you asking the SAME TYPES OF QUESTIONS. I come to this site with the other "geeks" to share an interest in the cars we enjoy. I however have no problems going up and down hills because rather than asking such a general ignorant question, I researched and found what I needed to better my knowledge and my car. I do not wish to argue, I only wish to let you know that your question can be answered by adding a law of motion and a bit of research on your part. Good journey sir.

d16y7 98 dx

d16y7 98 dx
"There is no replacement for displacement". Honda's 1.6L inline 4 engines barely make 100ft lbs of torque to the wheels. Either turbo charge, super charge, or spray for more power so hills aren't as bad, or get a bigger engine. Or just sell your civic and get something that's faster.
agreed