Leak Problem

cchang60

5+ Year Member
Last week I discovered that I have a leak but it wasn't oil so I wasn't too worried at first. But today I checked under the hood to investigate to find this...

The thing is, my car has not overheated recently and I do not run the A/C often/at all. When I got an oil change a few months back they didn't say anything about low coolant and it looks pretty low to me. I just wanted to get some feedback before I took my car in somewhere and embarrassed myself or something. Thanks

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if i were you i'd clean it off, fill the over flow back to normal level, and see if it leaks again

RonJ

Banned
When the engine is cool, remove the radiator cap and then top off the radiator and reservoir with coolant. Reinstall the radiator cap, start the engine, and while it is idling, watch for coolant leaks. It may require 30 minutes or more of idling to reveal the leak. Post pictures of where you see coolant leaking from.

cchang60

5+ Year Member
Refilled the reservoir and let the car idle for 30 minutes with no leaks. Probably just a loose radiator cap?

cchang60

5+ Year Member
Nevermind, I went to my girlfriends and when I was leaving I checked under the car and there was a puddle so I checked under the hood when I got home and the reservoir is EMPTY. I'm pretty sure its leaking from the radiator cap though. This might sound kind of dumb but my friend took off the radiator cap when the car was running and it started overflowing a bit... I don't really know much about cars and if that's supposed to happen or not but it did.

cchang60

5+ Year Member
So it turns out the cap is not the problem :cry:
I've circle where its leaking from in pictures. If you need more/better pictures just let me know. Thanks
Pic 1

Pic2

Pic3 - I circle both sides but I only physically saw it leaking on the left side.

Pic4

RonJ

Banned
The seams you circled are the most common sites for a radiator leak. Replace the radiator. It's a pretty easy job. When done, bleed the cooling system.

-------------------------

This bleeding procedure may take 20-30 minutes:

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push the dash heater lever/knob to MAX heat.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below

cchang60

5+ Year Member
when it says install radiator cap loosely, does it mean loose enough so that the fluid can leak out?

RonJ

Banned
When you put on the radiator cap, there are two clicks to tighten. Only turn the cap to the first click.

cchang60

5+ Year Member
I let the car run for about 45 minutes, should I not take of the radiator cap just yet?

RonJ

Banned
Turn the engine off, remove the radiator cap, and top off the coolant level in both the radiator and reservoir. Then fully tighten the radiator cap.

cchang60

5+ Year Member
Fixed the leak! Good thing I came here first right? The guys down the street were going to try and charge me $200 to install the radiator where as it took me about an hour and a half with no help. Thanks a lot guys!

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Fixed the leak! Good thing I came here first right? The guys down the street were going to try and charge me $200 to install the radiator where as it took me about an hour and a half with no help. Thanks a lot guys!
I have a similar problem. i'm posting pictures of the leak and radiator itself. i think the radiator needs replacing unless you think i can fix the leak with hot glue?

leak itself: noticed small bubbles coming out. the reservoir didn't drop much nor did my car over heat (yet)

close up of the leak:

reservoir level:

how much did the radiator cost you? and where did you buy it? i'm not very good with fixing cars but from what i've read it doesn't seem too difficult.

I've been looking at these for replacement:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93-94-95-96-97-99-00-HONDA-CIVIC-DEL-SOL-RADIATOR_W0QQitemZ250576440787QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a57850dd3
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93-94-95-96-97-99-00-HONDA-CIVIC-DEL-SOL-RADIATOR_W0QQitemZ280461972980QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item414cd615f4
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93-94-95-96-97-98-99-00-HONDA-CIVIC-DEL-SOL-RADIATOR_W0QQitemZ180481667601QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2a058bb211

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

RonJ

Banned
If the radiator is leaking, the diagram in post #9 shows how to replace it. It's very easy.

jfizzle

5+ Year Member
i was readin this sayin radiator is cracked and i was right lol. its the flimsy plastic tops that go on them. i found out that mine was cracked in traffic and my car oveheated

jfizzle

5+ Year Member
just get an all aluminum half core and call it a day . plus they look good in the bay