Leaking oil: 95 civic

dana tuttle

I've replaced the head gasket, the intake gasket and valve cover gasket. when I step on the gas every now and then I still get white smoke and I smell the oil burning still and it burns through oil. I have the d15b7 civic and need ideas if anyone could help.

Civic 1995 256xxx

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

dana tuttle

I run through about 1.5 quarts every two weeks

I had a feeling it was the rings being bad but didn't wanna jump in to conclusions without and opinion

daperez13

Respected
Just to confirm, is the white smoke you're seeing in the engine bay or at the exhaust tip?

dana tuttle

I had an exhaust leak in the engine bay and it blow smoke at certain rpms and smell like oil burning. Almost positive it's the rings. Just to cold to fix it at the moment

daperez13

Respected
Given that it has more than 256K, yes, the rings are probably the culprit. However, you should consider replacing the valve stem seals first.

Do you still have that exhaust leak or did you fix it?

dana tuttle

Valve stem seals? I'm confused on that one. I've replaced the valve cover gasket and the gaskets that go around each spark plug hole. I fixed the exhaust leak, I just used the exhaust leak to see if I'd still smell and burn oil for a few days then I fixed it. I was thinking about just replacing the whole head and go vtec. I'm saving up at the moment for it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dana, I cleaned up your posts, deleted the needless quotes with no comments, refined your title, added your basic car info into your first post as you should have done (thanks, @daperez13), and moved the thread into the correct section as this is not a DIY topic.

Please read the section descriptions when in doubt of where to post, pay attention to details, and familiarize yourself with the edit option. Failure to do these things, and posting in the wrong section, only work against you maximizing the help you may receive.

daperez13

Respected
Valve stem seals? I'm confused on that one.
Do a google search on valve stem seals to get an idea of where they are, what they look like and what they do. Any seal, will wear over time, just like piston rings. I'm not saying they're the sole cause of your problem but due to the mileage on the vehicle, they are probably contributing to your issue. Since you stated that you fixed the exhaust leak, I'll assume the white smoke is at the tail pipe, hence my response.

I've replaced the valve cover gasket and the gaskets that go around each spark plug hole. I fixed the exhaust leak, I just used the exhaust leak to see if I'd still smell and burn oil for a few days then I fixed it.
However, this response makes me thing you're still chasing an exhaust leak or an oil leak withing the engine bay.